PDA

View Full Version : MANTLO: A LIFE IN COMICS

DelBubs
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
here (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/10/27/friday-with-david-yurkovich/)
(From CBR)
I never knew that much about the man himself — Bill Mantlo seemed to disappear from comics in the late 80’s, and I’d seen vague reports about him being in some sort of accident, but that was all. So when I heard David Yurkovich was researching Bill Mantlo’s career in comics, I was nosy enough to write and ask him if he’d talk about the project here. He was gracious enough to agree, and I’m giving the column space to that interview today. Enjoy.

Banshee
10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Rom, Micronauts and Alpha were Mantlo greats. I am sincerely saddened to hear this news confirmed. I first remember a British star wars comic back up strip called 'The Sword in the Star' and it blew me away.

Bill Mantlo was my first exposure to sci-fi style comics(although FF was my first comic), and he is a great storyteller. All my best wishes are with him.

Northcott
11-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I still have the first 12 Micronauts issues that he wrote back in the 70's. It was issue 11, with art by Mike Golden, that put the idea in my head of becoming a comic book artist.

rplass
02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
This month's issue (#32) of "Back Issue", a magazine published by Twomorrow Publishing, features an extensive article about Mantlo's ROM series and another article about the legend of Mantlo. Here is a link to their page:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=735

Alpha Flight is mentioned in the ROM article (they appeared in issues #56-58 ), and on a page of comic books that Mantlo wrote, you can see Sasquatch on the cover of Contest of Champions and in the corner, the cover of Alpha Flight #35 is partially shown.

Unrelated to Mantlo: there's another big article about the OHOTMU series and in that article, they show the Aurora page from the original 1983 OHOTMU series (yeah!!!) and also the cover art for the 1986 OHOTMU: Deluxe Edition #11 with Sasquatch.

So go buy it. Or download it in .pdf form for half the price, whatever!

Love,
rplass