PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Mike Oeming

DelBubs
11-10-2006, 04:33 PM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=90597

While Mike Oeming and Daniel Berman’s graphic novel, Them may have passed by many comic fans when it was released by Image in 2004, but the one shot with science fiction overtones (and drawn by Ethan Beavers) attracted the attention of Fox, who is developing the comic into an hour-long series. ...

Oeming
11-10-2006, 05:18 PM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=90597

While Mike Oeming and Daniel Berman’s graphic novel, Them may have passed by many comic fans when it was released by Image in 2004, but the one shot with science fiction overtones (and drawn by Ethan Beavers) attracted the attention of Fox, who is developing the comic into an hour-long series. ...

Thanks! More details here- http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117953679.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

and you can get the comic, its called SIX on Amazon and your LCS!

Thanks, keep your fingers crossed for me:)
M!

Phil
11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I absolutely loved Six when it came out!
It was a really well told tale and the art was lush too.
There was one really trippy page that capped the book for me.

Congrats indeed!

Oeming
11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
you can also see the short film I did. Not completely successful, but whatever, it was all about the fight scene at the end:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0HGGAUJEK0

-K-M-
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Excellent job, I will definetly be checking this up. Keep us updated.

Guardian
11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Congrats. I'll have to check this out.

SephirothsKiller
11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Thats pretty sweet. I think I detect a note of fox jumping on the "Heroes" bandwagon, though of course thats a definate good thing!!

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Thats pretty sweet. I think I detect a note of fox jumping on the "Heroes" bandwagon, though of course thats a definate good thing!!

I hope the trend of (mostly) quality superhero movies and TV shows continues so that people's perception of comics finally catches up to reality. I'm tired of people assuming that all comic books are for geared towards kids.

Northcott
12-02-2006, 01:17 AM

I hope the trend of (mostly) quality superhero movies and TV shows continues so that people's perception of comics finally catches up to reality. I'm tired of people assuming that all comic books are for geared towards kids.

Not a dig, O.R., but I think part of that process is people realizing that comic books aren't relegated to tales of steroids and spandex. Road to Perdition started as a comic, and it rocked the big screen. I think one of the things that the industry needs the most is to spread its wings and recapture the variety of genres it used to sustain.

But I've gone on about that before, and I'm not going to play like a broken record today. :) Congrats to Mr. Oeming, and best of luck with developing his property.

Ottawa Renegade
12-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Not a dig, O.R., but I think part of that process is people realizing that comic books aren't relegated to tales of steroids and spandex. Road to Perdition started as a comic, and it rocked the big screen. I think one of the things that the industry needs the most is to spread its wings and recapture the variety of genres it used to sustain.

But I've gone on about that before, and I'm not going to play like a broken record today. :) Congrats to Mr. Oeming, and best of luck with developing his property.

I don't see that as a dig at all, I think it's a solid point. I ended up not including it, but I had started to include a part about how if I talk about picking up comics, people seem to think it's either Spider-Man done Electric Company style, or I'm buying Archie and Jughead.

I can't blame people for not knowing though when the movie-makers don't really highlight their source material, and I can't blame the movie-makers when stating their source material might create a poor perception. Bit of a vicious circle.

I'm thinking of something like V For Vendetta. Someone might see a preview for a dark, gritty movie then think "Oh, it's based on a comic book..." and assume it's lame.

I do know one co-worker who never read comics and absolutely loves the show Smallville, so now he'll ask about how certain characters were treated in comics over the years and stuff like that so maybe things are coming around.

Northcott
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I do know one co-worker who never read comics and absolutely loves the show Smallville, so now he'll ask about how certain characters were treated in comics over the years and stuff like that so maybe things are coming around.

I've seen a lot of that over the years, as comic-based series have grabbed a certain measure of popularity. Even back in the early seasons of Lois & Clark, before the show's writing utterly bombed, people who otherwise thought that Superman was pure kid stuff found themselves attracted to the series.

I think part of the problem is a self-dooming prophecy. As much as the mainstream industry tries to shake that purile reputation, you can't turn around without being smacked in the face by the very fact of it. I think of the number of comics over the last couple decades that come across as utterly crass adolescent fantasies: overly endowed women barely covered up, incapable of standing still without arching their backs to display themselves; every male looking like they're a hardcore bodybuilder on steroids; characters who are meant to symbolize something being turned into blatant power fantasies... the list goes on and on.

...And I'm derailing the thread. Sorry. :oops: Maybe we should start this up as another topic?