PDA

View Full Version : New Portal

Ben
11-23-2006, 02:24 PM
So, you have probably all, or many of you stumble across the portal. I accidentally made it partially live while I've been testing it, it wasn't supposed to show up yet, but I goofed up. So, for all of you haven't seen it, it's at http://forum.alphaflight.net/portal.php I'd like opinions I guess before I decide if it's going to be used or not.

Ben

SephirothsKiller
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Its scary... :o Actually in all honestly I found it a little counter intuitive. I really liked the overal portal though, it's just the business which I found confusing, and I don't think it would be welcoming to new people who haven't had a go at the forum yet.

Ben
11-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Its scary... :o Actually in all honestly I found it a little counter intuitive. I really liked the overal portal though, it's just the business which I found confusing, and I don't think it would be welcoming to new people who haven't had a go at the forum yet.

well, overall concept is still in testing stage, I haven't even decided if it's worth using at all, and still I can tweak the hell out of it, I'm just wondering if the concept is worth exploring for the forum or not

Ben

Ben
12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, so the portal is now fully-live. All the extra info that was on the index is now on the portal, so things are cleaned up on the index, leaving room to add an Omega section to it. I still have to write a better welcome message for the portal, and add the Omega section, but the portal it's self is basiaclly complete. I will probably add more features to it in the near future, such as a calendar to track release dates ect. and possibly a block for random pics from the album.

Ben

Ben
12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
An other possibility, if people miss seeing the forum index when they first enter the site, is I could replace all the stuff in the right column under the Welcome message with the index breakdown...

Ben

-K-M-
12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I like it. Looks very professional, but to many features it could become to cluttered. I think that could be a negative in the long run.

Phil
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of portal's at all, but all it takes is me changing my bookmark from index.php to forum.php, so it's no biggie 8)

It looks and works well though, so the work you've put into it is definitely worthwhile, s'just not my cup'o tea.

Ben
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
more tweaking... This time trying to merge the portal and the index but in such a way that makes things handy...

Ben

syvalois
12-04-2006, 11:37 AM
thanks, I like this better

DelBubs
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
It doesn't seem to be recording the messages posted. At present we all seem to have posted one message between us :?

Ben
12-04-2006, 01:01 PM
It doesn't seem to be recording the messages posted. At present we all seem to have posted one message between us :?

yah, it's not hitting the DB properly, minor thing that I'll have to figgure out

Ben

Ben
12-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I tracked down some code errors, coming from the poll block on the sidebar, it was throwing off the stats, and wasn't displaying all the poll stuff since my last tweaking. For now the poll is off the index completely, before I get into rewriting that part of the code, I'm curious if it's important to people to have the most recent poll displayed on the index, or should I perhaps look at adding in a different feature instead, such as displaying album images, or a callendar.

Ben

DelBubs
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Why would the php doohickey be so fixated on Dec 31 1969 at 8-00am? :P :?

Ben
12-05-2006, 11:25 PM

aw crud, didn't notice that, task for tomorrow

Ben

Ottawa Renegade
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM

aw crud, didn't notice that, task for tomorrow

Ben

Is that the same thing that's showing a date of 1970 as the last post entered in each folder?

Ben
12-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Is that the same thing that's showing a date of 1970 as the last post entered in each folder?

Yah, same thing, still trying to get to the bottom of why it's doing that, waiting for some experts to give me some suggestions, as I'm stumped. I can fix it by rebuilding the index, but don't wanna get into that if I don't have to.

Ben

Ben
12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
finally got the date fixed with the help of a master-codester :)

Ben