PDA

View Full Version : Ohio-Con Interview

-K-M-
11-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Oeming in another interview:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0611/25/michaelavonoeming.htm

"Asked about Omega Flight's lineup, Oeming said it will include U.S. Agent, Arachne, "somebody in the Guardian outfit," someone who was part of the original Alpha Flight and another former member. "

"Oeming said that the origin of Beta Ray Bill is tied to the origin of Alpha Flight. He also promised a powerful version of the character."

"Oeming said classic Alpha Flight villains will return, including the Great Beasts and Master of the World. "
-----
Glad Master will be back, but looks like it's not James Hudson in the armor...now that sucks.

Le Messor
11-26-2006, 07:21 AM
"Oeming said that the origin of Beta Ray Bill is tied to the origin of Alpha Flight."

That's strange. Could be cool... but the brief origin of Alpha Flight was James Hudson stole the suit, then decided to form a government team. Not sure how Beta Ray Bill will fit into that.
It'll be fun finding out.

looks like it's not James Hudson in the armor...now that sucks.

This information is completely new to me. :roll:

Them, the in-development television series based on his graphic novel Six, is in the right hands. Jonathan Mostow from Terminator 3 is attached to executive produce and direct the pilot.

Ugh... The director of T3? Ugh...

- Le Messor
"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

syvalois
11-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Who is the guy beside Oeming? The comic book guy from the Simpsons? :roll:

Canucklehead
11-26-2006, 10:43 AM
* Oeming said he hopes his next project for Marvel will be "off the radar" like his Thor work, where he didn't have to worry so much about continuity and tie-ins with the current Marvel Universe.

Is he still talking about Omega Flight here?

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Man, I do not remember a single solitary thing about Spider-girl/woman/chick/babe/. I guess whatever they do to her won't have me screaming about continuity flaws.

So Talisman and...? You know what? I may try to avoid reading anything about the team between now and April just so as to not stumble into a spoiler there. It looks like Snowbird since there's a drawing of her done and the Great Beasts are being used, but who knows if that isn't something for down the road?

I'm hoping (against the odds, I know) that there's an existing character we're not aware of (Sasquatch??) and that Snowbird reappears in the second story arc (assuming the first story arc is about the team's formation).

I also wonder whether the Mac suit will be filled by a newcomer or an existing character? I think it'll be the latter but that I would prefer the former.

* While calling Scott Lobdell's last run on Alpha Flight as "fun," Oeming said, "It might have done more harm than good."

Very diplomatic. :wink: It didn't do my hairline any good as it had me pulling my hair out in frustration.

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 10:50 AM
* Oeming said he hopes his next project for Marvel will be "off the radar" like his Thor work, where he didn't have to worry so much about continuity and tie-ins with the current Marvel Universe.

Is he still talking about Omega Flight here?

The impression I got was that it was a project above and beyond those he'd already addressed.

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 10:52 AM

:lol:

Best. Post. Ever. :wink:

Ben
11-26-2006, 10:55 AM

oh, you should see my comic dealer!!! If they were casting the roll in a live action film, he'd be my pick ;) He's probably reading this too ;)

Ben

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 10:58 AM

oh, you should see my comic dealer!!! If they were casting the roll in a live action film, he'd be my pick ;) He's probably reading this too ;)

Ben

That character falls into the "funny 'cause it's true" category. We've probably ALL known someone like him.

"But Aquaman, you can't marry a woman without gills! You're from different worlds!" :lol:

Canucklehead
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
"Oeming said that the origin of Beta Ray Bill is tied to the origin of Alpha Flight."

That's strange. Could be cool... but the brief origin of Alpha Flight was James Hudson stole the suit, then decided to form a government team. Not sure how Beta Ray Bill will fit into that.
It'll be fun finding out.

I remember Oeming said something like "Beta Ray and Alpha have a lot in common as they were both created to stop great opposition (Great Beasts/those aliens that destroyed Bill's home)". Maybe they misunderstood and thought he meant "tied to it" instead of "similar origins". Who knows, guess we'll find out soon... well 5 months 8)

PS
The only other guy I want in the suit other then Mac would be Jefferies. No one else, especially no non-Canadians should wear it. Wouldn't seem right.

Banshee
11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
"Oeming said classic Alpha Flight villains will return, including the Great Beasts and Master of the World. "

GREAT BEASTS=YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

But please make the Master a serious threat, ala the last Kang arc in Avengers volume 2, and not some Emma Peel and Steed Avengers uber villain chuckling to himself and camping it up bigtime!! :roll:

Ottawa Renegade
11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
The only other guy I want in the suit other then Mac would be Jefferies. No one else, especially no non-Canadians should wear it. Wouldn't seem right.

Hmmm....That would make sense in both the "someone wearing the Guardian suit" and "another former member of Alpha" sense while also explaining why we're not seeing the unnamed member on the promo art...even though we are. :-s

That would be cool. I could more than live with that.

Mokole
11-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm still thinking Guardian will be Mac, or an Alpha Flight person like Kyle Gibney. Talisman to be there, but who's the third AFer? Snowbird, Puck, Heather, Persuasion, Witchfire? Hard to guess.

So Beta Ray Bill, Arachne, US Agent, and 3 Alpha Flight personnel. Yes, now three, 8)

Asked about Omega Flight's lineup, Oeming said it will include U.S. Agent, Arachne, "somebody in the Guardian outfit," someone who was part of the original Alpha Flight and another former member.

I figure the reference to 'former member' is Talisman, and 'another' is the guessing work. Still, we'll have to wait to see which ex-Afer is Guardian now.

-K-M-
11-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Well Kyle is depowered now, but I'm really hoping it's Mac.

Phil
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
My guesses;

It won't be Mac in the suit. CW isn't far enough in yet for me to guess who, but I'd imagine it's someone fairly high profile, more so than US Agent perhaps.
The member of the original AF; Snowbird (only one not shown in NA)
The former member; Talisman

Mokole
11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
My guesses;

It won't be Mac in the suit. CW isn't far enough in yet for me to guess who, but I'd imagine it's someone fairly high profile, more so than US Agent perhaps.
The member of the original AF; Snowbird (only one not shown in NA)
The former member; Talisman

Mac or Kyle in the suit, no way it's not a Canadian IMHO. It would really hurt sales to say the Hudsons or Dept. H gave the suit away to a foreigner with outside allegiance, after Mac and they fought hard to keep the tech in Canadian hands. Maybe Tygerstryke but I really, really doubt it. Flex? Radius even?

Talisman is a lock.

Original: Snowbird makes the most sense to me right now, without more Civil War hints.

Canucklehead
11-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Just as long as it's not Whitman Knapp in the suit...

-K-M-
11-26-2006, 10:57 PM
bah! Manikin I never liked him, he bored me as a character

Canucklehead
11-26-2006, 11:14 PM
bah! Manikin I never liked him, he bored me as a character

He just freakin annoyed me. What a lame character, power and name. I remember writing a fan fic where each of his "selves" were killed in battle in seperate incidents. It was good therapy. 8)

-K-M-
11-26-2006, 11:19 PM
He just freakin annoyed me. What a lame character, power and name. I remember writing a fan fic where each of his "selves" were killed in battle in seperate incidents. It was good therapy. 8)

haha you know what that is good therapy just hearing that made me smile :)

Adam
11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
This Whitman Knapp sentiment warms my heart. I had a really hard time suspending disbelief for that character.

Mokole
11-27-2006, 12:08 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that they keep announcing the Americans and not the Flight characters. If it does turn out to be Happy Hogan or Ben Reilly or Harry Osborne as Guardian then you know that Omega Flight's real name is Omerican Flight, or more accurately Force Works in Canada. That would mean they are planning to kill this book faster than Lobdell's.

After all, what if Brevoort et al aren't lying when they say they can't release the names of the true Flight, the names of the characters who USAgent and Arachne are off to help, because it would spoil Civil War?

It would mean that Snowbird is really another tech clone, Talisman is actually Sue Storm with tech upgrades, and Guardian is Hawkeye.

That would be idiotic, but who's to say they're not idiots about this? :roll:

After all, they did roll out Lobdell's version as if it was good....

I worry more about things at night... :?

SephirothsKiller
11-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Erg... Not sure how to take that interview... I choose to think that Canadian members aren't being announced because Canadians are too special and our star power overwhelms everything.... :lol: I'll be honest, I really think that if given the option to join, it would be quite out of character for Walt to refuse. This man just doesn't go down or give up no matter how many times he almost dies or sees tragedy. I've also never been a fan of Snowbird in particular so... I want Sass!

My biggest fear is that the person in the Guardian suit is just going to be totally unworthy though. Either that or they're going to do a rebirth ala Young Avengers Hawkeye (worked there, wouldn't here) where some guy helps out and they're all like: "You should be Guardian now! Yay!!!"

How many Canadians are actually on this team and how many people in total?

DelBubs
11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Further News nicked from Newsarama (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=92277)

"Michael Avon Oeming was talking to fans about several projects that he's writing and drawing over the next few months. Oeming is finishing up his four-issue creator-owned story Cross Bronx with co-writer Ivan Brandon as well as continuing as artist on the ongoing Powers comic with writer Brian Michael Bendis. He's also writing Dynamite's Red Sonja series while starting on the Marvel launch of Omega Flight, the new Canadian superhero team that will follow in the footsteps of Alpha Flight.

"The first issue of Omega Flight is written, the outline for the first arc is done, and I've gotten a bunch of art in from Scott Kolins that's just amazing, so I'm really excited about it," Oeming said. "Some of the cast members of Omega Flight are 'outed' at this point. U.S. Agent appeared in the Choosing Sides special that Marvel did where we get to see him going into Canada. We also have Beta Ray Bill. Those are the only ones I can talk about. There is a female character, but at this point, we'll keep her identity secret. And there's somebody in the Guardian outfit."

Will we find out in the first issue who the "somebody" is? "No. No, I think it's Issue #3 or so," he said. "Old school Alpha Flight fans will be happy with Issue #1 because it actually concentrates on one of the original cast members and somebody else from Alpha Flight's past. So we want to give it a new launch without baggage, but the first issue is definitely dedicated to the roots of Alpha Flight."

Canucklehead
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Issue 3? So we won't know who's in the suit til JUNE!? Oeming, youre gonna give some people heart attacks here. 8)

Snowsquatch
11-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow, keeping it a secret? That's a great idea, really. Remember how cool the Hobgoblin secret was?

Canucklehead
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Wow, keeping it a secret? That's a great idea, really. Remember how cool the Hobgoblin secret was?

Yeah, I very much enjoyed that too, but then they kinda botched the ending with Stern leaving the book and settled for Ned Leeds before correcting it 10 years later.

Anywho, again, anyone but Manikin is fine in my book at this point. I wonder if the first two issues will give hints and create a list of possible suspects like the Hobgoblin stories.

8)

RolandT
11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Wow, Issue three. But Issue one is done, so is the first arc? I understand most concerns, and the hints make it sound like either Guardian won't be Hudson or that Guardian won't be joining until issue three, having to be convinced or healing. In an odd way, if it is issue 3 and the first two issues deal with New Avengers, then maybe it is Hudson, again.

Mokole
11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Well it's not night so I'm happier now. Good point about the link to NA, maybe Guardian will get his suit in #3 and that'll be Mac Hudson. Like all of you, I want a Canadian in a that suit. And it will be, maybe Mac, or maybe someone he hand picks. 8)

Ben
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I can't see it being Mac. The fact that it's being held out for 3 issues, shows it will be a bit of a shocker.

Ben

DelBubs
11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
"Old school Alpha Flight fans will be happy with Issue #1 because it actually concentrates on one of the original cast members and somebody else from Alpha Flight's past. So we want to give it a new launch without baggage, but the first issue is definitely dedicated to the roots of Alpha Flight."

When I first saw this and coupled with the initial speculation about Mac, I thought maybe Mac passing on the mantle to a previous member. However, now that we know the big reveal won't be until #3, I'm thinking a very battered and infirm Shaman passing on the mantle to Talisman. Theoretically if Michael can't carry on and given her origins, Elizabeth would be the obvious choice to become the next Sarcee Shaman.

http://www.alphaflight.net/cover_gallery/af1_35.jpg
Shaman in his traditional medicine man garb.

http://www.alphaflight.net/news_archives/omega_sketch_1.jpg
Mike Oeming Shaman/Talisman painting.

Pure speculation of course.

Oeming
11-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey guys! As always its great reading your ideas and speculation, and nothing makes me happier than to see we have a support system here. Word of mouth is what will make a book like this grow- much like Ares and Thor rose in numbers because of a good word of mouth.

Anyway, great ideas here, just keep in mind that at times speculation becomes "fact" but its still based on speculation:)

I'll talk to my editors about realeasing some more art.

varo
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
in other words "you guys are on the right track"

as always, thanks for the input mike.

Barnacle13
11-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Either he hands it over in a weakened state, or she picks up the mantle after a visit to his grave. Either way we get a little closure on NA#16 and either way she becomes an even more formidible presence on the team.

Barnacle13
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Either he hands it over in a weakened state, or she picks up the mantle after a visit to his grave. Either way we get a little closure on NA#16 and either way she becomes an even more formidible presence on the team. It might even work better if Michael were dead considering their past. Imagine the emotional baggage she's been carrying that she'll only be able to sobbingly tell to a tombstone, until he takes her on her own quest drop the past pains and become Shaman.

RolandT
11-28-2006, 05:52 PM
I'd say it'sore likely a revenge or inherited thing for Talisman. Will Guardian be someone chosen by Mac, or Mac himself? To me, that seems to be the direction.

And thanks for popping by, Mr. Oeming.

Ottawa Renegade
11-28-2006, 06:10 PM
in other words "you guys are on the right track"

as always, thanks for the input mike.

I took it as "just because you wrote it here and it ended up in the book six months later doesn't mean I didn't think of it before you". :P

Snowsquatch
11-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Either he hands it over in a weakened state, or she picks up the mantle after a visit to his grave. Either way we get a little closure on NA#16 and either way she becomes an even more formidible presence on the team. It might even work better if Michael were dead considering their past. Imagine the emotional baggage she's been carrying that she'll only be able to sobbingly tell to a tombstone, until he takes her on her own quest drop the past pains and become Shaman.
I feel confident that the spirit of Shaman will pay a visit to Talisman.

Mokole
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I figure that some of you have said, Talisman joins to fill in Shaman's role, inheriting it, and becoming more powerful. Guardian is Mac but maybe because of NA he can't anymore, so he appoints Wild Child to take over or something like that. And the 6th member is Snowbird, but I'm not sold on it being her, yet.

Canucklehead
11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I figure that some of you have said, Talisman joins to fill in Shaman's role, inheriting it, and becoming more powerful. Guardian is Mac but maybe because of NA he can't anymore, so he appoints Wild Child to take over or something like that. And the 6th member is Snowbird, but I'm not sold on it being her, yet.

I think Wildchild is too Nosferatu/Golem-looking/acting these days.

I'm still holding out for Jefferies 8)

-K-M-
11-28-2006, 08:02 PM

Wild Child should have returned back to human-looking as he is one of the mutants depowered. I doubt it will be Wild Child

Anyways if Shaman dies, he basically won't be gone from the series. He will turn out to do what his grandfather did for him when ever he doubted his faith.

DelBubs
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Going out on a limb here, I'm gonna go for Sean Bernard as the new Guardian. Jeffries and Kyle Gibney are to disturbed due to past experiences. Bernard has had the training, he's proved that he has the spirit of his convictions, he put himself and his liberty on the line to bring down dirty cops. Manikin is to silly for words, why put someone with a power in the suit. If he was de-powered by the House of M, he's prolly gone back to being a doctor.

I know it's a stretch, but given the probable candidates, Bernard seems the most logical.

Ottawa Renegade
11-28-2006, 09:50 PM

Wild Child should have returned back to human-looking as he is one of the mutants depowered. I doubt it will be Wild Child

Anyways if Shaman dies, he basically won't be gone from the series. He will turn out to do what his grandfather did for him when ever he doubted his faith.

Which I would be fine with. Even in "comic book time" he'd be pretty old for that stuff, and I've had my fill of super-powered geezers with V3. :P Taht way he can be retired, yet still have a presence.

I don't get the Wild Child speculation either, but I'm not really in tune with what's gone on with him recently. Jefferies makes the most sense to me, but I admit that I also don't know what he's been up to since he sported the Black Jacques Shlack mustache in V2.

-K-M-
11-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Currently Jeffries with the ex-Director of Weapon X making a Sentinel Army and currently a villian

Wild Child was in a Weapon X war when HOM happened leaving him powerless, we havn't seen if he is human or not.

Ottawa Renegade
11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Currently Jeffries with the ex-Director of Weapon X making a Sentinel Army and currently a villian

:shock:

Okay, maybe he's not such a good choice then...

Walt? :wink:

varo
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
i probally sould know this, but who's sean bernard?

and i still think it's gonna be micheal the mailman, thinking he needs to redeem what he's done, or actually he may feel he needs to vindicate what he's done. 8)

Ben
11-29-2006, 09:44 AM

and i still think it's gonna be micheal the mailman, thinking he needs to redeem what he's done, or actually he may feel he needs to vindicate what he's done. 8)

http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Groundhog

Ben

syvalois
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM

Don't worry, you are not the only one not to remember him. He was part of the special only no? That's why I don't remember much. I did not really liked that story and after reading the Bernard bio, I would place him between Manikin and Wire. Sure, he did not had a lot of exposure, but what a cliché origin!

I would really not mind not seen him again.

DelBubs
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM

:shock:

Okay, maybe he's not such a good choice then...

Walt? :wink:

Walt would be a good choice, but he can still do many things with his Snowbird body (if he's still alive that is). Why stick him in a suit that would give him diminished powers?

If as Mike is saying one original, then being a member of the Flight puts Bernard in the frame. He is/was R.C.M.P.

Could it be Stitch :arrow: :roll: :P

varo
11-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Ben

ahhhhh....

thanks.

Ottawa Renegade
11-29-2006, 06:15 PM

Ben

Oh, that guy! Neat idea!

Snowsquatch
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
I thought that "First Flight" issue to be pretty lame.

DelBubs
11-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it wasn't the best story in the world, but compared to a lot of the crap we were treated too in vol 1, vol 2 and vol 3, it wasn't all that bad. Didn't really screw with Alpha history. At the end of the day, no matter how lame, it is still Alpha history and therefore open to use.

-K-M-
11-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Well First Flight did conflict with Alpha Flight #1 vol.2, but meh! I take what happened in #1 as another false memory created by Department H

Canucklehead
11-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Well First Flight did conflict with Alpha Flight #1 vol.2, but meh! I take what happened in #1 as another false memory created by Department H

I didn't read First Flight, what was the conflict?

8)

DelBubs
11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of any direct conflict between First Flight and vol 2 #1. Yet in UXM #109, we see Wolvie react like he's never seen Mac in the suit before, but in vol 2 #1, Wolvie almost kills Mac in the suit which leads to Mac signing up to the Prometheus program and hence the clone stuff, all before UXM #109. In vol 1 #51-53, we have Bedlam who was originally bought down by Mac and Wolvie (again before UXM #109). In Vol 2 -1 we have Wolvie and Puck at Mac and Heathers wedding, even though in Vol 1 #17, Wolvie states that he and Judd had never met.

There is so much fubar continuity in the major series of AF, 'First Flight' kinda stands out for me as the prequel issue that clashed least with established Alpha history. Which makes it good to my mind.

Doubt that any of that makes any sense, it doesn't to me and I wrote it :?

Edited to add : Not so much that First Flight Conflicted with AF vol 2 #1, more the other way around.

-K-M-
11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't read First Flight, what was the conflict?

8)

In First Flight Wolverine was cured, even leading the Flight and Mac created the Groundhog suit, which wasn't quite the E-M Weapon Alpha suit. However, in AF #1 Vol.2 Mac is still trying to cure a feral Wolverine who is in his X-Men attire, and Mac is in his Guardian E-M suit (classic one we all know and love) attire and calls himself Weapon Alpha.

This "flashback" from vol.2 also conflicts with Alpha Flight special where Mac and Heather got married as Wolverine is still cured and Mac is still donning the Groundhog armor and calls himself Weapon Alpha

Canucklehead
11-29-2006, 10:32 PM
In First Flight Wolverine was cured, even leading the Flight and Mac created the Groundhog suit, which wasn't quite the E-M Weapon Alpha suit. However, in AF #1 Vol.2 Mac is still trying to cure a feral Wolverine who is in his X-Men attire, and Mac is in his Guardian E-M suit (classic one we all know and love) attire and calls himself Weapon Alpha.

Yeah that first scene in v2 always confused me. I could never point to which time period it was since Wolvie had on his Xmen costume. I know he was feral but to blatantly try to murder a friend like that?

Guardian
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Issue 3? So we won't know who's in the suit til JUNE!? Oeming, youre gonna give some people heart attacks here. 8)

I think I just had one!? :shock:

-K-M-
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Well since hearing the Master is coming back, I created his own personal respect thread

Master: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432072&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

RolandT
12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't know much about the M-Day stuff, but that would be good to know. I hope that if Guardian isn't Hudson, then I hope it's someone maybe who got depowered in M-Day or has ties to the Af team.

April may be a long wait, but so much in life is. Nice of Mr. Kolins and Oeming to keep us involved a bit.