PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Out Loud

DelBubs
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Although this is the place I post the majority of my messages, I do wander around and read other forums. Most are fun, but on a few there are doomsayers, predicting the demise of comics within the next x amount of years etc. Reasons for this are many and diverse. Ranging from..
Hollywood writers, who don't really care abbout comics cos they can earn way much more chucking out screenplays or directing.
Big name writers being more marketable than the characters they are writing.
Delays in comics due to "lazy writers"
Concept Art replacing the Kirbyesque style of yesteryear.
Stories are too real life and gritty and are now aimed at the 18 to whatever market.
Diminishing sales.
The Internet. The magic of comics has dissappeared due to the net which allows fans to know or influence the outcome of an arc before it's coclusion.

There's a few more supposed reasons, but these are the ones I read most often. So where am I going with this?

Ive just read at SBC (http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/11655584324638.htm) ...
New York, NY (December 7, 2006) – Mike Carey (Lucifer, X-Men) will write Enigma, a series created by Oscar® winning actor Nicolas Cage and his son Wes, exclusively for Virgin Comics.

What with JMS and Joss (hopefully spellt right :-) ) Whedon, to name just two, it would seem that comics, although not doing the sales they did years back, seem to have found a niche in the entertainment world that allows them to cross over into other fields with relative ease. Some people say this is bad and nasty and behind the welcoming arm, there is another holding a dagger that will be stuck between the shoulder blades at the right moment. I remain unconvinced about this.

I personally think comics as a stand alone industry isn't viable, but as part of a bigger package then they will always be about. I want to read about the adventures of OF and other characters. If that means comics sharing a stage with TV, The Big Screen, Computer Games and probably at some time, Digatal Comics, then fair enough, it's got to be better than not being able to read about the characters we grew up with?

Le Messor
12-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Nic Cage, of course, is a huge comics fan and is named after Luke Cage (Power Man). His real last name is, um... Coppola (sorry, had to look that up in my Dad).

Computer games were the end of comics. So were some TV series and movies. And stuff.
At least, that's what many of us have heard.
Y'know what? They're still here!

There's a niche for them, and I don't see it going away any time soon. The genie's out of the bottle; they might go through surges of popularity, and ebbs; the big companies might keep doing stupid things based on marketing rather than creativity (yes, Marvel, I'm looking at you)--like trying to make every comic book a movie (their current Big Bad trend); but the doom of a genre?
I kinda doubt it.
I think they're here to stay, for the forseeable future.

- Le Messor
"Now that love is my addiction, I've thrown all my books away."
- The Divinyls, Science Fiction, which just happened to be playi8ng while I typed this post.