PDA

View Full Version : MAO Interview

DelBubs
12-28-2006, 12:20 PM
There's a Mike Oeming Interview at Mania Comics (http://www.mania.com/53003.html).

Snippet

MANIA: What are your short term goals with Omega Flight?

OEMING: I won't lie -- numbers. We need this book seen. We need it read. I'll do anything I can to spread the word. We can't have another failure behind another Flight title. We just can't. Its do or die for me on this one. We need the fans to really step up to help spread the word.

-K-M-
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
hmmmm...He's a bit nervous of it failing.

Ben
12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
hmmmm...He's a bit nervous of it failing.

with history what it is, wouldn't you be? At least he's dedicated to making it viable.

Ben

Canucklehead
12-28-2006, 03:39 PM
I'd much rather he be concentrating on making the book sell then, say, making it "funny". :wink: 8)

Mokole
12-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Sounds more like one of my students, always downplaying her abilities, gets A+ on most anything she tries her hand at.

Ottawa Renegade
12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Sounds more like one of my students, always downplaying her abilities, gets A+ on most anything she tries her hand at.

I don't get the sense that he questions his own ability, but that he feels that ultimately, no matter how good it is, if the word doesn't get out there it won't matter. Marvel won't keep a great non-selling book on the market.

I can kind of see his point. I've seen folks on other message boards already show some pessimism towards the cast. One guy in particular said he loves team with B-characters but doesn't know if these area actually at the B-level. I'm sure many feel that way.

SephirothsKiller
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Wolverine needs to be in issue #1 to give it a boost in sales. :D

And maybe write the words "Neil Gaiman" somewhere on the cover.

Mystic
01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Well...I'm doing as much as I can. My comics dealer will be pulling two copies of OF every month for me. I'd get, like, ten issues a month just to try to help, but I'm weak! I have to have other comics too! :)

I just have to say how jazzed I am about this book.

-Mystic

batman_von_gein
01-03-2007, 10:42 AM
i hope this comic last. i'll be picking up 2 copies maybe three. i just got my 12yr cousin in to comics by giving him som extra AF comics i had. he loves them and he's always asking for more. so for christmas him AF #1 and i told him about Omega. He got real excited and he can't wait. just like me!!!

HappyCanuck
01-03-2007, 02:12 PM
*sigh* Woe is me. I'd LOVE to help out with the sales expedition, but alas, new family, upcoming wedding, no comic shop within a 6 hour drive and low-end job makes things a tad scarce to get these things....

*le sigh* :( sad is me :(

Mokole
01-04-2007, 01:27 AM
6 hours? Well, finally somebody has a longer drive than my 2.5! :wink:

Another MAO interview (http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=99&itemid=9237) here, talks about OF and Red Sonja, a lot about OF in there. Good news for Talisman fans, some closure coming about their death in New Avengers, even Sasquatch.

mreeez
01-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Another MAO interview (http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=99&itemid=9237) here, talks about OF and Red Sonja, a lot about OF in there. Good news for Talisman fans, some closure coming about their death in New Avengers, even Sasquatch.

Hmm, not sure I like the comment that he thought AF had a good death. But then again, I don't think he'd bash Bendis anyway if he thought otherwise.

Banshee
01-04-2007, 06:10 AM
If the series cannot make it without 'Wolverine' then forget it!! Fans will probably lap up his appearances and then jump ship.

It looks to me like this will be a great series. FAB Writer, FAB artist(great on deadlines), character dynamics. Respect for and obvious interest in Canada(as per MO's queries here).

Wolverine IF he appears would be best handled ala Alpha Flight circa issue 13-18.post Mac's death, in a stetson and jeans, chewing the cud with a tired Heather. Let's see Wolverine the man, not the slash and hack, IF we have to see him at all!! I mean..Uncanny, Origins, Own Book, Astonishing,Avengers....YAWNNNN!!

Canucklehead
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
CNI: Which of these characters are you most excited about using?

Oeming: Talisman. I’ve had the most fun with her. Or Walter, he's great too, lots to deal with there. Lots of history.

I think that’s really interesting stuff. Talisman goes off on Tony Stark at one point, possibly my favorite moment in the book.

Excellent. Talisman and Walter are great choices. Hopefully more survived the incident. Even if they are injured or wheelchair-bound, just to have them around would be great... just as long as Mac doesn't become the wheelchair-bound, Prof H. 8)

I loved all the promos and mentions of OF in the first few months. Hopefully they do the same near the launch like they're doing for Thunderbolts. I'm just scared an April launch will mean some people won't be able to afford the book because all of the other avengers and post-CW books will have started already. Or worse if it's not promoted, be forgotten.

Marvel’s characters are all tied up doing stuff, it was very hard to get team members.

I just hope to god he's not talking about the twins or Jefferies.

"Sorry Oeming, can't have them. We have to brainwash the twins for a 4th time and we're busy keeping Jefferies in Limbo. Though you can choose anyone two of the following: Arachne, USAgent, the Kangaroo or Rocket Racer."

Ben
01-04-2007, 09:11 AM
*sigh* Woe is me. I'd LOVE to help out with the sales expedition, but alas, new family, upcoming wedding, no comic shop within a 6 hour drive and low-end job makes things a tad scarce to get these things....

*le sigh* :( sad is me :(

advance order with an online comic store, you'll get it just a week after release, and what's 3 bucks a month eh?

varo
01-04-2007, 01:37 PM
the only negative i can see in that interview is the "possibly" walt being on the team.

no possibly. walt needs to be on this team.

Ben
01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
the only negative i can see in that interview is the "possibly" walt being on the team.

no possibly. walt needs to be on this team.

Well, he's telling us that Walt is involved, probably doesn't want to spoil a plot thread

Ben

-K-M-
01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Good death? BAH! It was an insult, and the street level Avengers could do so well against the Collective while AF falls?...bull!

Anyways yeah I could see some tension with Sasquatch and Omega Flight, as Walt might not want to forget the past and his mental state won't be the best. Anyways I'm sure Shaman is dead, but will appear astral form like his grandfather did for him to Talisman.
===
"Talisman goes off on Tony Stark at one point, possibly my favorite moment in the book."

Can't wait for that

varo
01-04-2007, 01:51 PM
bendis is oemings buddy, even if he doesn't agree with the death, he is not going to trash his friend.

but we can do it for him.

the more i read the more i am looking forward to this book.

talisman ripping into tony stark will be worth the price of the book alone.

Mokole
01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, things keep looking better for Omega Flight.

BTW, there's a poll up over at members3.boardhost.com/AlphFlight as to who Guardian is. I picked Mac Hudson, even though I'd rather see Feedback take on the role.

Garry/Al-Fan
01-05-2007, 12:44 PM
...and that may be the reason for the apprehension. WIZARD looks like its slated a second cover-story on MA within 6 or 7 months! Incredible.
When is Marvel planning on promoting Omega Flight? 5 months after the first issue comes out?

I've always wondered: is it better for five people to buy 10 copies of a book, or attract 50 people to buy one copy? When do the people who buy multiple copies decide to stop buying multiple copies? After the initial bump from speculators for another # 1, will it drop off?

I'm in, will get at least two copies of #1, but I hope OMEGA FLIGHT gets the wide and loyal readership it deserves.

Keep the faith.

SephirothsKiller
01-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Good death? BAH! It was an insult, and the street level Avengers could do so well against the Collective while AF falls?...bull!

Anyways yeah I could see some tension with Sasquatch and Omega Flight, as Walt might not want to forget the past and his mental state won't be the best. Anyways I'm sure Shaman is dead, but will appear astral form like his grandfather did for him to Talisman.
===
"Talisman goes off on Tony Stark at one point, possibly my favorite moment in the book."

Can't wait for that

Alpha never got good attention though... I mean Sabretooth took Sasquatch apart... It doesn't make sense. I'm hopeful now since I see Sassie laying the beat on the wrecking crew though.

I'd like the following explained: Half of the New Avengers get taken down by one member of the wrecking crew, this includes Spider Man, Wolverine, and etc.

These same New Avengers then proceed to completely gauss the Collective.

Walt along with the rest of AF has his hairy behind kicked.

Walt takes down the entire wrecking crew.

I mean I'm assuming there isn't a dramatic reversal in the pages to follow what we've been given but still...

I'd like some sort of an explanation along the lines of: "When Shaman saw the blast he instinctively summoned ancient magics, siphoning off 9/10s of the collective's power while sacrificing himself in the process."

Ottawa Renegade
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
CNI: What impact will that have on Omega Flight? What side are they on?

Oeming: Canada already has a registration act, but they aren’t crazy like America is so they don’t care other than that once again, they have to deal with America's problems, just like gun crime and pollution.

Eh eh eh...Not to get into a big political thing, but this is the best that I've seen the book's concept described, in a brief way.

We've discussed the Canadian heroes that could participate, but I wonder about the American ones that could get involved. I haven't read the Ms Marvel issue involving Arachne (please don't spoil it for me, 'cause I'll be buying it :wink: ) but I didn't get the sense that she was sent to deal with the problem. It sounds like USAgent is the only one (if "sent" is the right term...I have yet to read his story too :oops: ).

I'm curious about two possibilities:

a) USAgent calling the U.S. government and saying "Hey, I don't know if you've heard, but it's a pretty long border. L'il help?". Probably out of character but you get the idea. I could see a situation similar to DC's Suicide Squad where certain characters are sent almost as punishment (which sounds like what ws done with USAgent anyway). Or perhaps someone we've only ever known as a villain is sent. "For every year you serve up there, we'll take another one off your sentence."

b) Along similar lines, I started a thread before about what characters we might like to see added later. It was a little difficult to pick a non-Alpha character. But I'm thinking that if indeed the US government was pressued (somehow) into providing more help, they might send a couple of Guardsmen from Project Pegasus. I've always liked that armour. And being that omega has reasonable facsmiles of Captain america and Thor, having a character wearing armour originally based on Iron Man's...

In looking up that possibility, I came across Radion.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/radionsorel.htm

Henri Sorel. "Presumably French". With a name like that, he could actually be from Quebec, as well. :-k

Anyway, just thinking out loud...in writing. 8-[

SephirothsKiller
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Hmmm... If I remember correctly the Canadian Military in the MU already has a whole bunch of (I'm assuming not Iron Man calibre) type armoured suits. I don't remember the issue, but the Military had AF try and take them down.

Le Messor
01-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Hmmm... If I remember correctly the Canadian Military in the MU already has a whole bunch of (I'm assuming not Iron Man calibre) type armoured suits. I don't remember the issue, but the Military had AF try and take them down.

It was Byrne era... Right before "Guardian" showed up again. So, what, #25?
Yeah, that sounds right.

I think they weren't armour, so much as remote-controlled robots, and Alpha Flight were simply testing them. Nothing seemed to come of it. :?

- Le Messor
Angel: Careful with this gift. Lots of things that seem strong and good and powerful, they can be painful.
Buffy: Like, say, immortality?
Angel: Exactly. I'm dying to get rid of that.

Mokole
01-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Don't forget the Epsilons of Dept H had armour too.

Ottawa Renegade
01-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Don't forget the Epsilons of Dept H had armour too.

I did remember that, but it doesn't seem to be anything Iron Man like. In other words, I don't believe that it's anything other than protection.

Canucklehead
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Something just caught my eye from the interview. First he says:

Oeming: ... Sasquatch is in the book- maybe on the team. Maybe...

Then when asked about Guardian

CNI: Guy in the Guardian suit – he couldn't get on a hockey team?

Oeming: Is hockey with the puck or egg shaped ball?

Egg shaped ball? Is that football? Sasquatch MAY be in it, Guy in the Guardian suit MAY have played with a football? hmm...

Canucklehead
01-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Well I think Mr. Oeming just gave it away with that little comment. I'm just surprised it took us that long to figure it out lol

Ottawa Renegade
01-08-2007, 12:17 AM
You may be right...or he could have been trying to make the point that he doesn't know the first thing about sports. :?

Canucklehead
01-08-2007, 12:26 AM
...or he could have been trying to make the point that he doesn't know the first thing about sports. :?

That's exactly why it took me reading a second time to catch it. Very subtle. But Mr. Ottawa Renegade of all people should know what shape a football is. Would you consider it egg shaped? Though it might have to be a mutant, pointy egg... Or Rugby. Damn, maybe he's British! 8)

Ottawa Renegade
01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Of course I know what shape a football is (the Renegades apparently didn't, but that's beside the point). I'm not debating that he's making a football reference. What I'm trying to say is that you may just as easily be reading something isn't there. It can be interpreted in a couple of different ways. It could be as simple as his way of saying he doesn't know the first thing about hockey.

Again, you may be right (there are only so many candidates to wear it), but I just don't view his comment as real evidence.

Anyway, we already know that he (Walt) is in the book on some level. At this point I'd almost rather it NOT be him in the suit so that I can have Sasquatch as well as Guardian on the team, if possible.

On the other hand, there was talk that the team would be composed of the guys on the cover and perhaps another member. So if Walt IS wearing the uniform, then we'd have someone else to look forward to... :-k

Canucklehead
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Of course I know what shape a football is (the Renegades apparently didn't, but that's beside the point). What I'm trying to say is that you may just as easily be reading something isn't there. It can be interpreted in a couple of different ways. It could be as simple as his way of saying he doesn't know the first thing about hockey.

Haha no I knew what you were talking about. I'm just joking around. It just kinda hit me like a Eureka when I read the interview again that I automatically came here to type my thoughts. I am more then likely wrong. I'm a troubleshooter so my brain likes to make little connections like that.

Oh I was actually thinking of this the other day and was meaning to ask you, is Ottawa just waiting for new ownership or is the Renegades future pretty much done? I don't really know anyone that follows the CFL and was just curious. I hadn't heard anything for a while. I hope they come back.

Thanks! 8)

sengsterooney
01-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Has it been de-confirmed that the person in the suit isn't actually James Hudson? Given the history of AF and the ties that OF will have, I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact Mac Hudson in the suit. He has proven to be most resilient in the past, and what better way for a new series to make a 'tip fo the hat' link to the old guard than to have Mac Hudson as Guardian?

I'm not sure if it will actually be Walt - would be a bit strange to have someone who already has a known superpower to don a suit that gives him a different power but which prevents him from using his original power.

So, my money's on Mac Hudson.

On the other hand, when MAO asked if hockey was played with a Puck, I thought for a moment that Puck may be in the suit... then I looked at the pic by Kolins again and thought, 'Nah, he's too tall..." :-)

sengsterooney
01-08-2007, 01:12 AM
BTW - is USAgent still called USAgent or does he go by a different code name now? Curious as if OF is going to be billed as a 'Canadian team' (ie. one operating from Canada), then it would be a bit odd for one of its team-members to be called "USAgent".

Canucklehead
01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
BTW - is USAgent still called USAgent or does he go by a different code name now? Curious as if OF is going to be billed as a 'Canadian team' (ie. one operating from Canada), then it would be a bit odd for one of its team-members to be called "USAgent".

He's on loan from the States as an American Liaison so he'll probably keep the name.

Ottawa Renegade
01-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Of course I know what shape a football is (the Renegades apparently didn't, but that's beside the point). What I'm trying to say is that you may just as easily be reading something isn't there. It can be interpreted in a couple of different ways. It could be as simple as his way of saying he doesn't know the first thing about hockey.

Haha no I knew what you were talking about. I'm just joking around. It just kinda hit me like a Eureka when I read the interview again that I automatically came here to type my thoughts. I am more then likely wrong. I'm a troubleshooter so my brain likes to make little connections like that.

Oh I was actually thinking of this the other day and was meaning to ask you, is Ottawa just waiting for new ownership or is the Renegades future pretty much done? I don't really know anyone that follows the CFL and was just curious. I hadn't heard anything for a while. I hope they come back.

Thanks! 8)

Well, I admit you were starting to convnce me though. I went back and checked the bits of artwork that have been revealed so far. I wondered if the one with Walt showed him looking at the five other members, or just the American ones. If he was looking at all the other ones, your theory would make a lot of sense.

I was also trying to connect it to the comment that the wearer of the suit wouldn't be revealed until issue 3 or 4. Maybe Walt wouldn't make his decision until then.

But unless he loses his ability to change into Sasquatch I don't know he could do both. It'd be like putting Banner in the Iron Man suit. :wink:

As far as Ottawa goes, there are still negotiations with at least one group to bring them back but (for a change) they're trying to cross all t' and dot all i's. The league recently raked in good coin from TSN, but they couldn't really do anything until they knew HOW good. Not in 2007, now aiming for 2008. :?

Ottawa Renegade
01-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Has it been de-confirmed that the person in the suit isn't actually James Hudson? Given the history of AF and the ties that OF will have, I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact Mac Hudson in the suit. He has proven to be most resilient in the past, and what better way for a new series to make a 'tip fo the hat' link to the old guard than to have Mac Hudson as Guardian?

It hasn't been confirmed, that I know of. It would be my preference to keep Mac, that's for sure.

And one interview referred to USAgent as "CANADAgent". Doesn't flow quite the same. :lol:

Canucklehead
01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
But unless he loses his ability to change into Sasquatch I don't know he could do both. It'd be like putting Banner in the Iron Man suit. :wink:

That's exactly what I was thinking. The great beasts will be villains, we already have BRB, Sasquatch would just be heavy-weight overkill. The fact that "SASQUATCH will be in the book MAYBE on the team" may suggest he'll be in the book issue 1-3 but be Walter on the team in the suit from then on. Maybe he loses his powers in the first story ark. The Great Beasts take it away from him somewhow. I donno. 8)

Ottawa Renegade
01-08-2007, 09:55 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. The great beasts will be villains, we already have BRB, Sasquatch would just be heavy-weight overkill. The fact that "SASQUATCH will be in the book MAYBE on the team" may suggest he'll be in the book issue 1-3 but be Walter on the team in the suit from then on. Maybe he loses his powers in the first story ark. The Great Beasts take it away from him somewhow. I donno. 8)

Funny, I was thinking of that very thing on the way to work...I could totally see that happening.

Transmetropolitan
01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Walt does have experience with high-tech armor, too.

SephirothsKiller
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe its Walter's mind in Mac's body? :wink: Walter got bored of his current body and decided to switch? Hopped into Guardian's dead cyborg shell after his body was destroyed? :lol:

Then we could have all the weirdness of both Walter and Mac when it comes to death and life packaged into one!!

Edit: Wait! I've got another theory!! The new Guardian is none other than.... Gary Cody!!! (Cue twilight zone music.)

Le Messor
01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
From things Oeming has said, I have the impression that the guy in the suit is a new character. An un-Canadian one.

I can't back that up until later.

- Le Messor
"Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat."
- Anya

Ben
01-08-2007, 06:54 PM
From things Oeming has said, I have the impression that the guy in the suit is a new character. An un-Canadian one.

Here's a thought, can't remember if anyone else might have made this guess...

Since Iron man has placed US agent in Omega Flight, is it possible that he might have placed James Rhodes in the guardian suit? He's already got lots of experience with this kind of tech, and in the pic you can't tell if his face is that of a white man, or a black man...I could be in left field though.

Ben

-K-M-
01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Well right now Rhodes is in charge of the Sentinel division, it very well could be him. However, I would definetly be opposed to this. I don't mind his character, but for the success of Omega Flight I would urge against it as apparently only Omega Flight can get "copies" of classic characters eg. BRB=Thor, Arachne=Spider Woman I, US Agent=Captain America

Le Messor
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Arachne=Spider Woman I=Spider-Man

-K-M-
01-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Pretty much, just going at the female perspective.

Le Messor
01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Pretty much, just going at the female perspective.

Yep. I'm just taking it a step further. There's always gotta be somebody who takes it too far.

- Le Messor
"Top Tips: A mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep."

SephirothsKiller
01-09-2007, 11:52 PM

- Le Messor
"Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat."
- Anya

I simply can't see the Canadian government having a Canadian Flag wrapped around an American. Maybe a Brit though. I could see a Brit.

syvalois
01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
I simply can't see the Canadian government having a Canadian Flag wrapped around an American. Maybe a Brit though. I could see a Brit.

I really like your humour. :P :P

HappyCanuck
01-10-2007, 03:04 AM

Nah, Humour would be if they took the Canadian flag and wrapped around a Quebecois(e)....

:shock: Actually, I'm looking at the pretty banner that Ben has provided for us with the Omegan team, and the power signature around 'Guardian' COULD be more light than EM, and with the Twins currently being key characters in the X-Titles as we're leading up to Omega #1..... wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants!

Mokole
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Methinks the glow is to show how much energy that suit creates and he's one angry Guardian. Maybe what they're standing on is really Stark's Hulkbuster armour :P

syvalois
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Nah, Humour would be if they took the Canadian flag and wrapped around a Quebecois(e)....

I would see Aurora in the canadian flag, like Trudeau, Chrétien and Stéphane Dion, but not JP.

Ottawa Renegade
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM

I would see Aurora in the canadian flag, like Trudeau, Chrétien and Stéphane Dion, but not JP.

I'd love to see Aurora in the Canadian flag... =P~

Ben
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM

http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/aurora/thumb_aurora_gallery8.jpg (http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/aurora/aurora_gallery8.jpg)

Ottawa Renegade
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
:!:

Is there there anythig that Ben won't do for his peeps? :wink:

SephirothsKiller
01-11-2007, 11:44 PM

http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/aurora/thumb_aurora_gallery8.jpg (http://www.alphaflight.net/character_galleries/aurora/aurora_gallery8.jpg)

She reminds me of Elvira in that picture.