PDA

View Full Version : New X men

Effexxor
01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Just to be curious... what're your thoughts on this odd series?

I love the characters, personally. A lot of them are really interesting to me, aka Dust, Mercury, Anole, Hellion, Rockslide, etc., but christ, do I hate the way that they're being written. For those of you who don't read the series, about half of the characters have been slaughtered including the incredibly awesome Icarus, brother of Sam and Paige Guthrie. Also, ever since X23 came into the picture, it's become 'X 23 and the Hellions!' which bugs me to no end. I like X 23, don't get me wrong, but she's hogging all of the freaking story lines! Every other one is X 23 confused about her human feelings. All I can say is been there, done that a gazillion other times. MOVE ON.

However, I do like Anole a hell of a lot. Not only because of his adorable mentor relationship with Northstar, but also because he's just plain funny. If you doubt me, go to http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/Angelophile/newxmen305.jpg

Also, for those of you who don't know, when Anole saw Northstar and spoke to him in 190, his appearence was enough to make Northstar have a glimpse of humanity, and instead of slaughtering the poor kid, he just knocked him unconcious, after visibly struggling mentally on what to do.

I also like Dust, the muslim character a lot. Not only is she a real bad ass when fighting, she can turn into a dust storm, but she also has a lot of fire to her. And it's nice to see a positive muslem character, I must say.

Also, New X men has kind of been Marvel's attempt to make JP seem more human outside of Alpha Flight. They show him as a fair, just teacher who cares deeply for his kids and puts his own life on the line regularly so that they don't have to. And the art has been fan freaking tastic, I must say.

What're your thoughts?

RolandT
01-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I liked the previous run, when they had more teams and competition and fun, instead of all death. I forget the writers, Christine and Nunzio?

kozzi24
01-13-2007, 02:52 AM
I felt funny about the change in creative teams. At the time it felt like people who had launched the books lost their jobs because people closer to the in crowd with Marvel's TPTB wanted the book. (No support on this, just my interpretation.)

I did give the book a fair chance and have to say I am liking it a lot.

Effexxor
01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, the change has been annoying. I remember when it was happier comic. When they acted more like 15 year olds than like 20 year olds. *sigh*

That and the deaths have really, really irked me. They killed off an incredible amount of people in a very short time and frankly... it's a little much. Like they went 'Hm. How can we make this comic seem more grown up? Of course! We'll kill off half the kids! That'll make us seem totally mature and awesome!' Ugh. I miss Icarus. He was so pretty when Larrocca drew him.

Any thoughts on X23's arrival? Any thoughts on the apparent Hellion/X23 relationship that being hinted at? I don't like it, frankly. Laura's incredibly OOC here. She's a tough killing machine. She isn't supposed to be going weak in the knees for a man who'll 'protect' her. She's Laura freaking Kinney. She's supposed to gut a man for daring to think that.

kozzi24
01-13-2007, 02:26 PM
The idea of House of M was to reduce the number of mutants, and the shape of the school as depicted prior to HoM showed many many mutants. As such, it's no real surprise that we saw a lot of the depowerment and death toll in the title about the school.

Regarding my earlier post, I suppose it is quite possible that the prior creative team refused to kill or depower some of the characters they created for the book, so people who would pair down thew mansion were hired.

I did not follow NYX, but from I have read, I haven't found X-23 to be out of character. Killing machines need love too. The Punisher gets some every now and then, so why not Laura?

Effexxor
01-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I know that the characters had to be depowered for House of M. The fact that they then had them all slaughtered was what irked me. I mean... that's just overdoing it.

My issue with Laura is partially the lurve thing with Julian, and it's also how she's changed. She's a version of Logan for god's sake, she shouldn't be tall with lean muscles that you see in super models and runners. She should be short and powerful, with defined muscles like the kind you see with kickboxers and fighters. Instead... she's willow-y.

Kumori
06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Quick Intro: Hi, I'm Kumori. New User. Girl from...ok whatever....

I'm in favor of the X-23/Hellion relationship! X-23 has had a lot of crap happen to her. She needs a chance to redeem herself. And besides, Wolverine got a chance to fall in love so what difference does it make? She may be a killer but deep down, she isn't heartless. When Icarus died (;_;) she made sure Dust and the rest of the team knew about it. She also hesitated when she said that he died because she was afraid of hurting Sooraya.

As for Anole, I agree. He's funny as heck. Santo (Rockslide) is pretty amusing as well. I personally think that all of the characters are good but the ones who just hang around doing nothing aren't really...useful.

I hope the QFM ends in a positive note. These kids need it.

Mokole
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Welcome Kumori!

SephirothsKiller
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm in favor of the X-23/Hellion relationship! X-23 has had a lot of crap happen to her.

She also used to be a prostitute. I've wondered how that will affect things. Other than that, I only want an Laura/Hellion relationship if it ends up going VERY badly. Because I think she's too damaged to get it right at all on the first time.

More than that: I hope they really don't focus on relationships like Nunzio and DeWeir did. Don't get me wrong. I liked the old style, but I've come to admire NXM alot more since Yost and Co. came along. Not only are they excellent storytellers, but they actually portray the fact that "hey, being an X-Man and constantly courting death will have consequences." At first I thought all the death was for shock value, but now I think it's legit.

Oh, and I don't think anyone's dying this arc (mystical deaths don't count so David's probly gonna be fine,) so that's a plus.

Also: I agree that X-23 needs to look more butch than she currently does due to the source of her DNA.

Kumori
06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Welcome Kumori!

Thanks.
I know she used to be a prostitute and Julian used to...well still is kind of...be an arrogant fool. As of now, I don't care just yet about how the relationship ends, I at least want it to happen though so Laura can learn how to be human. I do agree that the combonation is kind of weird but if they are already heading in the direction of a relationship, I'd leave them be.
There is one thing that can totally ruin it though: Wind Dancer. I know she's depowered but she's joining the New Warriors. Hellion never really got over her did he?
You know who I want back? Wither. His character was dark and depressing and we need a Rogue-like character. I just wish he didn't get with Selene...*barfs*...she's like 56000 years old *double barf*
I also wish that Match were utilized more...he's got a cool power and the flame head is a nice touch....I'm actually attracted to it for some reason....<3

SephirothsKiller
06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
You know who I want back? Wither. His character was dark and depressing and we need a Rogue-like character. I just wish he didn't get with Selene...*barfs*...she's like 56000 years old *double barf*

Please, you've never read any stories with a vampire romance? What about Buffy? Or... Something else?

Cheers to the rediculously large age gap!

Kumori
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
But...she's disgusting X.x

kozzi24
06-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Considering the source of her DNA, let's see how much Hellion is into Laura if she skips shaving her legs (and arms and face and back) for a day or two.