PDA

View Full Version : AlphaFlight.net Ineterview with Omega editor Andy Schmidt

Ben
01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello folks.

Today I spoke with Andy Schmidt (http://www.alphaflight.net/interviews/schmidt_interview1.php), Omega Flight editor. We discussed the recent news about Omega being reduced to a 5 issue Mini. He makes lots of great points, and is fully behind us supporting the title in the direction Fight For The Flight (http://save.alphaflight.net) is going.

Andy also shared lots of images with me, including the probable logo design, larger versions of the character designs we have already seen, NEW character designs, and a huge version of the cover for OF#1

http://www.alphaflight.net/interviews/schmidt_interview1.php

Ben

Mokole
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Ben. Nice to know all people involved with OF want it to succeed for the right reasons! :)

Nice to see the art, too! Thanks guys!

Snowsquatch
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Well well. Seems my cautious optimism was appropriate. ;)

Daring designs on Talisman. I would think gold boots would be better, but that's nit-picking. What's with the red shadow over the left-eye?

I love the parka!

DelBubs
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Good interview Ben, straight to the point and art as well. I'm cautiously optimistic that if it doesn't go full series after the limited, we will at some point see OF feature prominently somewhere. I would detest more occupants in Limbo :x

Corvus
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Well well. Seems my cautious optimism was appropriate. ;)

Daring designs on Talisman. I would think gold boots would be better, but that's nit-picking. What's with the red shadow over the left-eye?

I love the parka!

Notice how the Parka echos Shaman's original costume in colour and pattern? A very clever little touch.

Nice interview.

Canucklehead
01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I donno, I think I prefer my logo... Unbiasedly of course 8)

sengsterooney
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Did anyone else notice that Walter's apartment (presuming it's Walt) is the same Apt from the early days of Byrne's run (at least in appearance)?

-K-M-
01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes it's the exact same apartment from AF Vol.12. I posted the scan in another thread.
====
Nice Omega symbol not what I was expecting, but nice. That facial paint over Talisman's eye? Looks the the Shaper and the gem in the Talisman GREW. HAHA

Ottawa Renegade
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I donno, I think I prefer my logo... Unbiasedly of course 8)

Well, I'm not biased and prefer yours too.

Oeming
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
good job Andy!

-K-M-
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
So who's the leader of this group? Talisman? Major Mapleleaf? Manikin? 8)

Canucklehead
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm not biased and prefer yours too.
Woohoo, thank ya sir!

So who's the leader of this group? ... Manikin? 8)
Please no! :P

-K-M-
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Please no! :P

Probally the character I hated the most from volume 1 :)

SephirothsKiller
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
HAHAHAHAHAAAA Elizabeth Twoyoungmen is copying Guido's style!!

(See her sunglasses)

Canucklehead
01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Probally the character I hated the most from volume 1 :)

Ditto. From his real name to his code name to his personality to his power. Lame, lame, lame. Him and his "others" always bite it in the end (or beginning) in my fan fics. 8)

Back on topic here, I'm not sure if Andy was calmly putting out a fire, getting our hope up or not getting our hopes up. My opinion changed during each answer lol. Pretty much everything we already assumed. Come August if Omega outsells Heroes for Hire or that (New)New Warriors and they stay ongoing while Omega doesn't, by-gawd, I won't be happy.

-K-M-
01-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Even though I like Nova, does he really deserve an on-going? :?

Mokole
01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Right on, my man. I already avoid Marvel because of their 'mistakes' (and I know a few people who got sick and tired of the Civil War mistakes that they dropped all their Marvel titles). Making another mistake is Omega sells over 30000, or even 25000.... They'd lose a lot more than just money in the short term. I figure OF will sell over 30000 over the 5 issues.

Guardian
01-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Great interview. Thanks Ben and Andy S.

I really like the new costume design for Julia. It's very striking.

-K-M-
01-18-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm loving Talisman design and her "Shaper" facial mark. The oversized jewel on the talisman I guess symbolizes her growth? Well I hope she is the leader. Should we add the new image to the Alphanex? It's a great full body shot

Guardian
01-18-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd add the image to the Alphanex.

But I'm hoping that Guardian leads the team. But only if Mac is in the suit! :D

-K-M-
01-18-2007, 01:45 AM

I think so too, anyone want to step up and add it? 8)

I doubt it's Mac in the suit as their revealing the person in issue #3. It will be a suprize.

Guardian
01-18-2007, 02:24 AM

I doubt it's Mac in the suit as their revealing the person in issue #3. It will be a suprize.

Really? Where'd you see that statement made. I don't think I remember it.

-K-M-
01-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Oh god it was made a few months back in an interview, I will try to find it again. Hopefully someone else has better luck and I'm trying to find it, but forget what thread it was.

Corvus
01-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Hmmm. Everyone's wondering where Captain America is with the Avenger's reveal going on at Newsarama. Steve Rogers in the Guardian suit? :-k

HappyCanuck
01-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Okay, haven't read the actual interview, nor the comments on this topic, but here's mine based off the images:

Image One - Omega Flight Promo image:
a mere 'okay' image, with good visualisation, but some probs with some of the things (when did Elizabeth become a Victoria's Secret linebacker? and Arachne needs a visit from Mary Kay). All in all, not bad, but what we've already seen.

Image Two - Promo release page from OF#1:
Great art, but again, we've seen this and commented about it.

Image Three - Omega Flight #1 Cover w/ Logo:
Brave image, already been around the block a few times. Logo looks simple, but effective.

Image Four - Wrecking Crew redesign:
All in all, not a bad rework of the characters.

Image Five - New work up for Talisman:
I like!! Love the 'Shaman'-inspired look of her civilian jacket. She's also seeming to be a lot more moody, which I like. Like the more 'authentic' redesign of her costume, tho must admit she prolly gets a tad drafty in these Canadian winters. Btw, is that her Dad's pouch on her hip?

Image Six - Beta Ray Bill design:
Takes the classic BRB design and 'oomph's it. I like it.

Image Seven - Arachne redesign:
I like!! Takes the classic look to a new dimension while not subtracting from it.

Image Eight - USAgent design:
Meh. Sorry, hard to make Walker look that interesting to me. He wasnt that interesting to me in the first place.

Thanks for the art!

Guardian
01-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Oh god it was made a few months back in an interview, I will try to find it again. Hopefully someone else has better luck and I'm trying to find it, but forget what thread it was.

No worries my friend. I remember reading it now. Thanks though!

Guardian
01-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Hmmm. Everyone's wondering where Captain America is with the Avenger's reveal going on at Newsarama. Steve Rogers in the Guardian suit? :-k

If that would happen I would burn all my comics! :shock: And would swear to never read one again.

But I do wonder where ole' Cap is. Since Benids revealed the line up for New Avengers, Cap is no where to be seen. Unless he's wearing the Ronin costume. :roll: Which would be a giant bonehead move. But then again Marvel makes boneheaded moves somewhat frequently.

Canucklehead
01-18-2007, 11:37 PM

If that would happen I would burn all my comics! :shock: And would swear to never read one again.

But I do wonder where ole' Cap is. Since Benids revealed the line up for New Avengers, Cap is no where to be seen. Unless he's wearing the Ronin costume. :roll: Which would be a giant bonehead move. But then again Marvel makes boneheaded moves somewhat frequently.

There's a page on the Dr. Strange reveal that shows cap tied to a table with Shield guards walking in to see him. It's NA #27 so I donno when it takes place in the timeline. 8)

kozzi24
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM

I think so too, anyone want to step up and add it? 8)

done...and done big.

first I've done anything with imagews as I have been mostly doing content editing

Corvus
01-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Well, I guess we know where Cap may be going now, courtesy of Amazon. Don't click that if you dislike spoilers.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Rogers-Daniel-Knauf/dp/0785122990/sr=8-2/qid=1169241001/ref=sr_1_2/105-7018193-4711665?ie=UTF8&s=books)

Phil
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, I guess we know where Cap may be going now, courtesy of Amazon. Don't click that if you dislike spoilers.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Rogers-Daniel-Knauf/dp/0785122990/sr=8-2/qid=1169241001/ref=sr_1_2/105-7018193-4711665?ie=UTF8&s=books)

I call b/s on that....

Legerd
01-20-2007, 01:29 AM

I call b/s on that....

I think that's an alternate universe book.

-K-M-
01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Odd as it is, the shield matches up with the Captain America shield on Civil War: Inititative

Canucklehead
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Odd as it is, the shield matches up with the Captain America shield on Civil War: Inititative

Exactly what I was thinking. I call photoshop.

Guardian
01-20-2007, 08:17 PM

I call b/s on that....

As do I. Seriously though, ANYONE can sell stuff on amazon.com. Unless things have changed in the last year or so. Just someone's idea of a really stupid joke.

Guardian
01-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Yup, there's a link for you to "Sell your Stuff" at the top of the page.

Hold on I'm gonna go sell my ultra-rare Alpha Flight vol.1 #151, were it's revealed that Wolverine was actually the original Guardian. The whole Mac thing was just a giant ruse! I'll sell it here to anyone for $5000 U.S.
Any takers? :)

Corvus
01-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I don't really know what to make of it myself. I had no idea that anyone could just upload images to Amazon, I haven't used their site in years.

The armour looks cool in that colour scheme anyways.

Mokole
01-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Har har. Maybe Captain America bites the big one, maybe Daredevil, maybe... OK, who else hasn't shown up as being in Avengers, either title? Too many to count. "A beloved character dies", says Quesada. Would that be Falcon, Rage, Box, or Prowler, and 'dies' as in 'for 7 months'?

Maybe Cap America and Iron Man switch positions and/or roles after Civil War, Rogers is Iron Man and Stark is Captain America. Who knows for sure what silly things could happen.

You know, I wonder more and more if Walter is Guardian.

Banshee
01-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Those images have me all excited( in a non puerile way!). WOW!!

Corvus
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Amazon pulled the listing it seems.

Le Messor
01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
First impression? He's being made to toe the company line. I say that a lot, I think, but I think it happens a lot.
I guess some of his answers just bug me a little, like he's not really stating a real opinion, or anything backed up by reality:

we don’t want anyone to feel like we’re pushing loads of comics they don’t want or need on them.

I wonder what X-readers have to say about that?

It’s certainly no slap in anyone’s face.

My own council will I keep on when my face feels slapped.

We certainly hope that all the series that come out as limited series will be popular, but only fans can say for sure, and even then, only after they’ve read the books.

Is everybody listening?

An announcement could have been made, but I don’t know that it would have made any difference.

Yes, people would still be upset; but I think a lot of people would feel better about Marvel if they'd been open.

Love the Arachne pic; so mysterious, so 'Kiss of the Spider-Woman'.

Maybe Cap America and Iron Man switch positions and/or roles after Civil War, Rogers is Iron Man

This has already happened. In Bullet Points #s 1 and 2, Steve Rogers is, indeed, Iron Man. :)

- Le Messor
Attorney: "Chicolini, when were you born?"
Chicolini: "I don't remember. I was just a little baby."
- Duck Soup

shaman
01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
You know, I wonder more and more if Walter is Guardian.

I have been Knocking around that same possibility.