PDA

View Full Version : Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1&2 review: No Spoilers

Manikin
04-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Howdy folks,
I recently picked up the first two issues of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic by Joss Whedon...which of course means nothing to any of you unless you are like me and thoroughly enjoyed the TV series. This comic picks up where 'Angel' leaves both story lines, though nothing is stated in this story regarding Angel or his crew.

This story starts much like about every first episode of a new season of Buffy; with action and a small amount of misdirection. The new story takes off fast, assuming that the reader already has at least a cursory knowledge of the characters and previous plots. ***SIDE NOTE: But like I said earlier, who else would be reading this comic?*** It shows elements of a good plot by establishing the Heroes and the 'Big Bad' early on, and hints at a true meaning behind it all, with clues, that will of course be unveiled near the end. Many 'inside' jokes are made about characters from the series, and a few comic/cult references are tossed into the mix as well that will keep 'us fans' giggling to ourselves for a while.

The art is good, capturing the likenesses of the actors very well in some panels, and vaguely in others. The writing is impeccable and is what reminds you most of the characters you love so much. The biggest flaw, or at least what I feel to be a flaw, is that I am constantly hoping for each book to feel like an hour long episode. This just doesn't happen, sadly. Though all your favorite characters are there, spouting witty remarks and fighting daemons, the pace quite quick in each scene. They just don't...it...well...I would say it is like buying a Boston Cream donut from Tim Horton's and taking a few bites only to find that this particular donut was not filled with 'Boston Cream' in the center. Of course, you finish the donut. You enjoy the donut without asking for your money back, but you are only left to hope that the next one you buy will have that cream filling that makes a Boston cream...a Boston cream.

If I were to rate this comic with a completely useless and unsubstantiated system, it would go something like this:

NON-BUFFY FANS: *** (out of) *****

BUFFY FANS: Four vampires staked through the heart out of Five.

Thanks for reading.

SephirothsKiller
04-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmm...

I actually had only seen like two episodes of the BtVS series but decided to
pick up the book anyway. I thought that it was good, I like Whedon's dialogue, but didn't think that the art was consistently.... Anything like the actors. Anyway, it got me interested in the series enough that I downloaded seasons 5-6, I'm on 6 right now and am utterly confused. Season 5 was really good but season six is just... not. At least I now know who amy is though.

RatCat
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
That's ok, season 6 of Buffy confuses a lot of people.

It was my least favorite of the show... But I didn't have the hatred for it that a lot of Buffy fans did... But then again I liked season 7... so what do I know?

Le Messor
04-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Sephiro:
Watch from Season 1!

Manikin:
I'm taking each story arc as an episode, each issue as, I don't know, an act break? Much more digestable that way, and means...
mutts, spoiler-free. But it does mean that!

RatCat:
That Ain't Bad

- Le Messor
"Denial: not just a river in Egypt"

SephirothsKiller
04-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Sephiro:
Watch from Season 1!

I know I should... But that's just sooo much time out of my life. I finished season 7 yesterday. Season 7 was definately better than season 6, but I have no confidence in Whedon's ability to write endings...

Le Messor
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I know I should... But that's just sooo much time out of my life. I finished season 7 yesterday. Season 7 was definately better than season 6, but I have no confidence in Whedon's ability to write endings...

Thing is, you're starting at some of the least popular seasons. Which hardly gives the show a chance. :/ The first three seasons are generally regarded as the best.
(Let's hope he hasn't seen Angel let's hope he hasn't seen Angel)

- Le Messor
"Do you know what it means that he can't hurt any living thing? He can't pick flowers."
- Harmony

SephirothsKiller
04-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Thing is, you're starting at some of the least popular seasons. Which hardly gives the show a chance. :/ The first three seasons are generally regarded as the best.
(Let's hope he hasn't seen Angel let's hope he hasn't seen Angel)

- Le Messor
"Do you know what it means that he can't hurt any living thing? He can't pick flowers."
- Harmony

I actually paid attention to angel starting around mid-first season, but I watched it so spottily that I don't really remember anything, bits and pieces up til season three when stuff got in the way (life.) So it shouldn't interfere with enjoying BtVS seasons 1-3.

Le Messor
04-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Ah, good, then he doesn't know about the ending of that series...
If he ever finds out, he'll really hate Joss' ability to write endings...
Uh-oh. How could I tell them that because of the freezing process I have no inner monologue?

I... hope I didn't type any of that out loud just now.

Manikin
04-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Ah, good, then he doesn't know about the ending of that series...
If he ever finds out, he'll really hate Joss' ability to write endings...
Uh-oh. How could I tell them that because of the freezing process I have no inner monologue?
I always felt that his endings were well done. They tended to be dramatic and exciting. With the way that he was forced to end each series in such a sudden way, I think he did well. He had alot more story to tell after the end of both shows, and much as I probably would have done myself, left them reasonably open-ended for things like comics/mini-movies years later.
If you want to gauge his 'endings', it would be best to watch Season 5, Episode 22: The Gift. This was supposed to be the end of the series when it was filmed, this changed when the network later decided that they wanted to bring the show back. After this they got 'worse', though I still enjoyed season 6&7. The Gift is still one of my favorite episodes.