PDA

View Full Version : Spider-man 3 (spoilers)

SmurfInABlender
05-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, I just went and saw the movie.. great stuff..

the emo hair cut was kidn of cheesy but it sure helped make you hate the character that peter became.

Venom looked great, they did a great job, and i'm so glad they hid him from previews.

I was overall impressed with the movie, though peter was a douche through most of it.

any of you seen it?

Manikin
05-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Saw it at the midnight show the day before.
I understand why people might like this movie, I however hated it and felt rather cheated. It was the worst movie I have seen since Ultraviolet. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but the fact that they just ignored that Spidey has a 'Spidey-Sense' really bothered me. The singing scenes were nothing more than shameless Kirsten Dunst promos. The goblin's super serum no longer makes a person crazy. Mary Jane is a ***** the whole movie, and yes peter parker is a douche. Harry's bump on the head apparently makes him into an 8 year old. Most of the fights were predictable and boring. He just leaves the crane operator? They never say what Harry tells Mary Jane. Peter full on kisses a TOTALLY hotter chick in front of the girl he is planning to propose to later that night that he was speaking to in the crowd 5 minutes earlier!!! The only good thing about that movie was Thomas Hayden Church as the Sandman, he was great. BUT HE ****ING LETS HIM GO AT THE END!! WTF!!!

I had to fight not to walk out, and I was not the only one as about 10 people in my theater did walk out about half way through.

This all may come across rather bitter and over the top, and for that I am sorry if I offend anyone. My wife always tells me that I am overly critical of movies, she is probably right. I have heard many people say they liked the movie, I was obviously not one of them.

Just like every other Spiderman movie, the actors playing the villains are the only thing holding the film together and making up for horrid acting from the main characters. Too much bad dialog, too much bad acting, too many wretched plot devices that are left unexplained, not enough action.

I enjoyed the first movie, was disappointed with the second, and wanted to slit my wrists after the third.
I just feel cheated.

SmurfInABlender
05-05-2007, 05:15 PM
I think it was good, keep in mind that venom goes against spidy senses, whih is why he is hard to fight, so that would be why. I think it was alot better attempt at a third movie than X-3

you are suppsoed to hate how stupid he is with the symbiote, thats why they did that.

the only really "bad" acting i saw was the crying scene at the end with peter, and the cheesy emo dance thing

overall i'd watch it again, I liked it better than the second one.

Canucklehead
05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I understand why people might like this movie, I however hated it and felt rather cheated. It was the worst movie I have seen since Ultraviolet. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but the fact that they just ignored that Spidey has a 'Spidey-Sense' really bothered me. The singing scenes were nothing more than shameless Kirsten Dunst promos. The goblin's super serum no longer makes a person crazy. Mary Jane is a b***h the whole movie, and yes peter parker is a douche. Harry's bump on the head apparently makes him into an 8 year old. Most of the fights were predictable and boring. He just leaves the crane operator? They never say what Harry tells Mary Jane. Peter full on kisses a TOTALLY hotter chick in front of the girl he is planning to propose to later that night that he was speaking to in the crowd 5 minutes earlier!!! The only good thing about that movie was Thomas Hayden Church as the Sandman, he was great. BUT HE f*****g LETS HIM GO AT THE END!! WTF!!!

I had to fight not to walk out, and I was not the only one as about 10 people in my theater did walk out about half way through.

This all may come across rather bitter and over the top, and for that I am sorry if I offend anyone. My wife always tells me that I am overly critical of movies, she is probably right. I have heard many people say they liked the movie, I was obviously not one of them.

Just like every other Spiderman movie, the actors playing the villains are the only thing holding the film together and making up for horrid acting from the main characters. Too much bad dialog, too much bad acting, too many wretched plot devices that are left unexplained, not enough action.

I enjoyed the first movie, was disappointed with the second, and wanted to slit my wrists after the third.
I just feel cheated.

Ugh, don't get me started on Ultraviolet. I haven't seen SM3 yet, but I have the tickets for tomorrow. I loved the first movie and thought the second was even better. I know a lot of people didn't seem to like the second one. I don't know why. As a life long Spidey fan, to me, the second movie hit it right on and almost made the 1st seem cheesy.

A common problem in all of the movies (I'll assume the 3rd aswell) is the corny dialogue. Cheesy one liners or long, corny speeches kinda pulled me out of the first two, but didn't ruin the movies for me.

The acting is terrible. I can't stand Dunst but I'm a big fan of Tobey and the characters he plays in his other movies. On paper he's the perfect Peter Parker, but he just doesn't have the acting skills, I find, to pull it off. You can really see it when he's sharing scenes with better actors. Ex the scene in the first movie when he's sitting on his bed crying and talking with May about Uncle Ben.

I love these movies, don't get me wrong. I just wish it had taken it more seriously when they did the writing and casting. They are still funny, dramatic and entertaining, which is the whole point I guess. Just not perferct.

SephirothsKiller
05-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I really liked it. I think that comparing it to Ultraviolet even if you didn't like it is pretty harsh though. I mean that movie was a steaming pile of poo.

Favourite part? Evil dancing Peter! Sam's Evil Dead stylings came out large and in charge in this movie, as a result they overrode some his typical big budget stylings. (This was probably brought on by the fact that Army of Darkness co-writer Ivan Raimi wrote the screenplay for SM3 with him.) And speaking of SM3, the Bruce Campbell bit was awesome. (Can't wait for My Name is Bruce!)

I don't think there was anything weird about Peter letting Marko go though. He was beat up, his friend was dying, Marko's daughter was sick, the potential for redemption was too big for Peter to ruin by attacking.

And Venom is immune to the Spider Sense. Always has been. I just wish they gave him the big long tongue.

SmurfInABlender
05-05-2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, I thought letting him go was to contrast with the sheer wish you kill him when the symbiote had control of him.

the tongue would have been cool but I thought they did an amazing job with venom

Manikin
05-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I think it was good, keep in mind that venom goes against spidy senses, whih is why he is hard to fight, so that would be why. I think it was alot better attempt at a third movie than X-3

Of course, but what about Harry plucking him off his scooter from behind?

Like I said before though, I can understand why someone would like this movie. But still....bleh

SephirothsKiller
05-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Maybe he pulled an Iron Man and defeated the powers? I personally could care less about the Spider Sense because it's constantly ignored in the comics as well.

I agree with the acting thing though. I was really hoping that Bryce Dallas Howard had a bigger role in the movie because in the scene's she was in with Pete she clearly outshone him. That's actually the thing with Spidey movies. With most movies I stop thinking about the actors as the actors and start thinking about them as their characters, but when I watch Tobey and Kirsten I always think of them as actors playing a part.

Canucklehead
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I finally saw it, loved it. It didn't have the same emotion as the last movie (which is still my favorite) but it was a suitable sequal to what came previously.

I actually liked the dancing scenes. My only gripe would have to be the end with Harry. I thought it would hit me more. I mean, I surprizingly got choked up one or two times in second one. But when Harry died I felt nothing. Would have been better as a quicker death I think. Like in the comics where he just had enough time to say "How couldn't I? You're my best friend". Here he's lying there for a few minutes and you know what's coming.

Church was the perfect Sandman. Grace should have kept his Venom mask on more. Howard was a great Gwen. Kirsten didn't bother me as much in this one. Tobey wasn't as bad as I thought. The rest of the cast was brilliant as always.

It might be one of those movies that gets better the second time around. 8)

SmurfInABlender
05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
but i think that they were tryign to get past the weirdness of the venom look... keeep it "beleivable" as they do with comic movies. My girlfriend said she lieks the venom mask commign off but thougth that Topher needed to walk aroudn on set more with the teeth because it was obvious he hadn't worn them enough to get used to them

Mokole
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
My brother and his wife saw it, a few friends of my brother-in-law too, all hated it.

-K-M-
05-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Saw it....disliked it, but found a fun game to play. When anyone gets teary eyed in the movie you take a shot.

Dfense75
05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I understand why people might like this movie, I however hated it and felt rather cheated. It was the worst movie I have seen since Ultraviolet. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but the fact that they just ignored that Spidey has a 'Spidey-Sense' really bothered me. The singing scenes were nothing more than shameless Kirsten Dunst promos. The goblin's super serum no longer makes a person crazy. Mary Jane is a b***h the whole movie, and yes peter parker is a douche. Harry's bump on the head apparently makes him into an 8 year old. Most of the fights were predictable and boring. He just leaves the crane operator? They never say what Harry tells Mary Jane. Peter full on kisses a TOTALLY hotter chick in front of the girl he is planning to propose to later that night that he was speaking to in the crowd 5 minutes earlier!!! The only good thing about that movie was Thomas Hayden Church as the Sandman, he was great. BUT HE f*****g LETS HIM GO AT THE END!! WTF!!!

I just feel cheated.

Spiderman's spider sense cannot detect Venom. This is a very well known comic fact. which is why he was looking around in the fight scene not knowing where he is.

As we see Harry has been experimenting with his fathers equipment and I would assume also his serum.

As far as the crane operator. Not everything needs to happen on camera for us to understand it. I doubt he was just left there.

As for what Harry told MJ...isnt that obvious? Not everything in movies needs to be spelled out. Sometimes its best left to the imagination for the audiences own interpretation.

Other than that I agree with alot of your points

Manikin
05-07-2007, 02:11 AM

Like I said before though, I can understand why someone would like this movie. But still....bleh

Already posted about that one Dfence75 ;)

As we see Harry has been experimenting with his fathers equipment and I would assume also his serum.

I would agree had they not already established in the first and second movie that Harry is a poor student and knows nothing about his fathers work or science.

As for what Harry told MJ...isn't that obvious? Not everything in movies needs to be spelled out. Sometimes its best left to the imagination for the audiences own interpretation.

True, I understand what was implied, but what could he say to her that would make her break it off? "Break up with peter or I will kill him." She knows he is Spiderman, and she knows that he fought the Goblin once before and killed him. Would it not be more understandable if she said something like. "yes Peter, I will marry you. Oh, by the way, Harry is the Goblin and he knows your spiderman."

Anyways, I am getting out of hand here. :) You are right though, not everything must he shown or said to be understood.

Dfense75
05-07-2007, 02:52 AM
I would agree had they not already established in the first and second movie that Harry is a poor student and knows nothing about his fathers work or science.

I agree that Harry was a poor student...But...if you remember the scene in Harry's lab/lair you see how he was evolving the goblin helmet and glider. Do you think he was having someone do it for him in his secret lab. I think the point was that his revenge was quite a motivator and drove him to do all those things. I suppose he could have had someone do it for him. But after the failure of Norman to sell that product to various military and and buisness groups, I would think getting someone to do it for him without bringing attention to his motives would not have been possible. Also in reference to Harry sneaking up on him. Also in the comic i believe Green Goblin has a gas that negates his Spider Sense. Now I realize that we did not see that happen and Im not implying it did for that specific scene. But that is something thats in the Spiderman mythos so I suppose if you wanted to really really reach you can apply it somehow. Perhaps in the flowers in MJ's dressing room perhaps? Again I know thats a really big stretch but hey why not...

Canucklehead
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Maybe Pete's Spidersense didn't go off when Harry attacked because deep down, he never really meant Peter any harm. Oooooooooo!

I think really he was just too caught up in his life. Everything's going well for him, he's going to ask his girl to marry him. I can speak from recent experience that as soon as you buy the ring, you're kind of up in the clouds. Nerves/excitement/sore wallet can play with your brain and distract your senses. 8)

Dfense75
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Maybe Pete's Spidersense didn't go off when Harry attacked because deep down, he never really meant Peter any harm. Oooooooooo!

I think really he was just too caught up in his life. Everything's going well for him, he's going to ask his girl to marry him. I can speak from recent experience that as soon as you buy the ring, you're kind of up in the clouds. Nerves/excitement/sore wallet can play with your brain and distract your senses. 8)

Deep bro...very deep :D

Theta_Ray_Bill
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
My biggest problem with the movie is that they made Venom die like wimp. And Sandman, who had assaulted and KILLED multipe POLICE OFFICERS, gets off.

That is *reeeee*tarded.

SephirothsKiller
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
My biggest problem with the movie is that they made Venom die like wimp. And Sandman, who had assaulted and KILLED multipe POLICE OFFICERS, gets off.

That is *reeeee*tarded.

When I watched it the only thing I could think of (especially after Peter's angsty church scene) was: "Hey, he's fighting Venom the same way people fight Daredevil..." They dumbed down the sonic wave thing and simply made it "loud noises."

Le Messor
05-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Spiderman's spider sense cannot detect Venom. This is a very well known comic fact.

I didn't know that going in, but I guessed it during the movie.
However:
Peter gets hit by a spitball. In the first movie, his sense detected a paper plane.
A meteor lands next to Peter. He doesn't notice.
The symbiote crawls onto his bike. He doesn't notice.
etc...

Anyway, my full review is here, in case anyone cares:
http://le-messor.livejournal.com/54946.html
(and I named it after his loss of that sense!)

- Le Messor
"Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity."