PDA

View Full Version : Nova Ongoing Series 1-3 **SPOILERS**

Manikin
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I have been drawn in by this one. I have been enjoying the writings of Dan Abnett for a long while now, he is one of my favorite writers, and was happy to see him in the Annihilation Series. He has a punchy and gritty writing style that appeals to me quite a bit.

Dan Abnett's past includes the Punisher Euro Hit and other Marvel comics, and a multitude of WarHammer and WarHammer 40,000 books for Games Workshop's Black Library. All very good, and so far the dialog here is up to his usual standards. Ok, on to the comic itself...

The story picks right up from the last bits of the Annihilation Wave, the aftermath leaves Nova with a massive amount of Galactic Police work to do, and he is quickly overwhelmed by the task at hand. (** For any of you who may have missed the Annihilation series, I recommend it. The Nova Corps are quickly wiped out during the opening attacks, and Nova is the only one left. Literally. He is then imbued with all the power of the entire Nova Corps combined. The master AI of the Nova Corps is also downloaded into the humans head and becomes his constant companion. That should get ya pretty much up to speed. **) An accident sends the newly overpowered hero crash landing on Earth in the aftermath of the Civil War, and he is quick to find out that his friends, the New Warriors, are dead or hated by all. Including his once upon a time love interest Namorita. His whole world is upside down, and he even makes a few jokes to Tony Stark the make sure that this all just isn't some flipped universe. Lots of good story, dialog, characters, and plot twists.

The highpoint so far was the battle between Nova and the new roster of the Thunderbolts. Which includes Penance, who we find out is really Speedball!!! DuN DUN DUn!!!! But anyways, the fight is awesome. They are there because they think that Nova is an anti-regger, and he is wondering why a team of known villains are attacking him with the crowd cheering them on. The high point being when Nova is beginning to get sick of it all, and begins reading them their rights as per his authority as a Nova Corps Officer. Priceless.

Well, it should be obvious that I am enjoying this so far. I do recommend it to anyone who may or may not have liked Nova back in the old days.

leonmallett
06-19-2007, 05:11 AM
I am really enjoying this series with D and A's writing and Sean Chen's art. The scene between Rich and Robbie was great (you did know the Penance secret beforehand, didn't you Manikin?), and as you say the arrest of the T'Bolts by Rich was truly priceless.

DelBubs
06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm picking up #3 Thursday. It was the only book I collect out last week and I wasn't doing a two and a half hour round trip for one comic. I've said this elsewhere, but out of the four books featuring ex-Warriors, Nova is top of the list. It's a 1000 times better than that dirge Larson presented us with in vol 3.

Manikin
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
I am really enjoying this series with D and A's writing and Sean Chen's art. The scene between Rich and Robbie was great (you did know the Penance secret beforehand, didn't you Manikin?), and as you say the arrest of the T'Bolts by Rich was truly priceless.

Oh yea, link below.
http://www.marveldatabase.com/Image:Penance_puts_on_costume_for_first_time.png

Beta Ray Daz
06-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Not quite as good as Annihilation series, but i'm still really enjoying it!

Rook
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I've been collecting this one - hate to admit it, but the covers are what made me pick up #1. But once I started reading it, the art was good, and the storytelling is nice. Rich is a 3 dimensional character, and I want to know how his dilemma is going to play out...

This book has drawn me into the Annihilation: Conquest thingy... (sigh) more comics to buy...

DelBubs
06-29-2007, 01:57 PM
This is one of my favourite series at the moment. Nova has matured into an excellent character. I've found myself drawn into Annihilation and picked up the prologue yesterday. I am looking forward to this more than any recent cross-over big event and will be picking up the lot. One thing I like about the concept, No Avengers, No FF, No X-Men, just characters who come across as three dimensional against a revamped Phalanx.

What's not to appreciated.

Manikin
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I think Delbubs and I are on the same wavelength here. I am starting to get a bit tired of the same old Marvel trademarks that I am becoming increasingly interested in the rest of the universe. The Phalanx, the Shi'ar Imperil Guard, and the Annihilation series was just what I needed. I picked up the prologue as well, and it is a great start.

Anyone ever make a Shi'ar Imperial Guard Respect Thread around here?

DelBubs
07-03-2007, 05:09 AM
And it was good to see the 'Spaceknights' back. No ROM, but good to see them anyways.

As to Respect Threads, I think KIng Mungi's your man for them 8)