PDA

View Full Version : omega flight #4: got it!

varo
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
unreal. not kidding either. total non-stop action, so put those criticisms to rest.

won't ruin it, but 2 things stuck out:

1) king will be happy

2) guardian is very powerful, and scott did a awesome job making him look like the guardian of old.

Captain Primate
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree - totally awesome!

Every page is action....seriously, I don't think there is a single page where someone is getting punched, kicked, or thrown. Very very cool.

For me, this issue is by far the best. There is something intangible that seems to come together in this issue. The writing is sharp, the art is great, and everything works together wonderfully.

Long live Oeming and Kolins!

-K-M-
07-11-2007, 01:28 PM
HA! Called it once again

and damn right I'm happy, wish he did more though but still one more issue to go. TANARAQ BABY! WOOT!

Dfense75
07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow...simply...Wow. This issue was down right amazing. I really really hope we keep the same creative team when(I mean when not if) this becomes an ongoing. Im loving the look and feel to everything of this book and really dont wanna see it change.

Manikin
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
YAY!
I was very happy to see Talisman and Guardian fight and kick some ass. Lix being fairly under rated as a hero, and the fact that we finally get to see what collective can do with the Guardian suit.
YAY!
Great Issue

Legerd
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
This little girl absorbs magic power... idiot.

Sweet. 8)

Powersurge
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Cool stuff!!

It was nice to finally see Pointer get involved! Something about him strikes a cord with me.

He's a bit of a short-sighted wuss though. I mean, for the sake of not wanting to be responsible for the deaths of more innocent people, he shoulda cowboy'ed up and did what he needed to do.

I know, I know, he's just a guy... who unintentionally killed some people, but you gotta know that USAgent is really going to love Pointer now.

Transmetropolitan
07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
You know who I thought got to shine?

Arachne.

"Sorry. Canadians only."

Bye-bye, Bulldozer.

And Walker.... really IS more likable when he's in combat.

"My team."
"We've got to stop dancing like this, Talisman."

Oh, and Tanaraq-as-Walt looks fricken BAD. In the best possible way.

My only complaint-

Next issue is going to feel rushed. Dammit.

Dfense75
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I cant wait for the the 5th issue to come out. Not only to have the end of the mini thats going to lead to the ongoing that will make all our lives complete. But so that I can buy the trade. Im so protective of my copies of Omega that I have only read them once and put them away. I cant wait to read them all in one sitting...with drink at my side and some nice music to make it right. What a ride this has been.

PWalk
07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Got it
Love it

day um!

Walker is exremely well written. I've liked US Agent since the West Coast Avengers days. Sharing the same last name with him didn't hurt either. Oeming has done a great job with him here, so much so that the Alphans are quickly becoming secondary to me. Blaspemous sure but blame the creative team.

They cannot cancel this series.

Guardian
07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Definetly the best issue of the series. Great job all around to the creative team. I love how Walker is being written in this book. Finally someone is doing it right.

Phil
07-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Best single Marvel issue I've read in years.
No bias at all.

Kudos to the creative team.

Rook
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Just read #4 - It was great! Next issue will be awesome - nice build-up for a good pay-off.

DelBubs
07-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Actually warmed to Pointer and felt he had the right ingredients to be Guardian, doesn't want to be a hero, but steps upto the plate when called. Talisman against Tanaraq, I immediately recalled AF #23 when Caliber hurt him enough to force the change. Good writing, good art and good book. Ongoing, I should say so. :wink:

-K-M-
07-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Wished that they showed Sasquatch/Tanaraq to being far more powerful then they did. He just seemed like an angry Sasquatch is all not charged up

Dfense75
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I have a question...In Civil War Choosing sides USAgents Shield is stolen by Purple Man(I assume when we have our ongoing that will be addressed). So far in the Omega mini he has had at least 2 of them dented to the point where they are not usable. Does he have a whole bunch in storage or is he just banging out the dents? Vibranium is not cheap and from how his current shields are holding up I assume they are not Vibranium. For that matter...if Iron Man and the intiative can tip every bullet and dart with Adamantium. Would it be that much trouble to give our boy an Adamantium shield? C'mon mister money bags. If Canada and USAgent's mission is so important. Cough up the cash and equip the man right. Am I wrong?

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Your point about his shield is really good. I've been wondering that myself, because you'd never see Cap's shield receiving damage like that. I just don't think Walker has had a chance to confront Purple Man yet.

I just read OF #4, and I am still very impressed and very much in love with this series. I find the writing to be intelligent, fun, and it always makes me want to read the next issue. The art is smooth, and it really does justice to the characters and the feel of the book...wonderful job to the creative team behind this!

Being a new fan of the Flight, I only half-understand why people would hate Pointer. I do feel that his entrance was very cool, and I hope people begin to warm up to him...though he is a smidge emotional. Walker was much more believable in this issue, and I loved seeing him in combat. Arachne was surprisingly useful, and fit in well. Talisman is quite the powerhouse! I was very impressed with how she handled herself in this issue. And I freaking love Beta Ray Bill. After reading this, I really want to see how everything resolves with Sasquatch.

I simply don't know if I'll have faith in Marvel if this does not become an ongoing series.

SephirothsKiller
07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
That was such an amazing issue I couldn't stop smiling. I had hoped to see Talisman use some more "specific" powers (the pouch, or command some spirits or something) and I'm a bit concerned that Pointer seemed so much more powerful than BRB, (A THOR level character.) But overall I just thought it was amazing. Especially Kollin's art. That last page was magic. Props to Reber too.

9.5/10

Reber
07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't know the difference between the two shields Walker has used. I just know the one in Omega is different from the choosing sides shield. You can tell by the rings. In Choosing Sides I did it black on black with a white star.

Dfense75
07-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't know the difference between the two shields Walker has used. I just know the one in Omega is different from the choosing sides shield. You can tell by the rings. In Choosing Sides I did it black on black with a white star.

Another great job on Omega Reber! :D Yours and the work of your compatriots kicks all kinds of ass. To my knowledge the shield that Purple man stole was made of Vibranium. I assume the ones we have seen since than are titanium at best. Also after some thought. A pure Vibranium shield might make more sense than a pure Adamantium shield. Adamantium is supposed to be very heavy(Not to practicle to fling around and bounce of walls and such). Vibranium is alot lighter and can absorb the kinetic energy of most impacts. While not harder than Adamantium its properties make it much more practical for how USAgent uses his shield.

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-13-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm a bit concerned that Pointer seemed so much more powerful than BRB, (A THOR level character.)

I was slightly concerned about this as well. I wonder if it was done simply to make his entrance more dramatic...kind of a "here he comes to save the day" deal.

I mean, come on, we all know BRB would wipe the floor with him :wink:

The shield thing has had me a little confused since the fight with Daisy. She dented the crap out of that thing! And it seems like Vibranium doesn't do that. Perhaps if this were an ongoing, USAgent's first order of business would be to get his shield back.

Legerd
07-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Reber, kick @$$ work on the book! I love the red, glowing eyes of the Crew. It really looks like there is a sinister light coming from deep within their souls.

Scott Kolins
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Really glad most of you are very much enjoying the series and #4 especially, we are having a great time making these books!

Although I do agree that a little more explanation for new readers might've been a good idea - I think what we have is interesting and could hook the reader to find out more (If you know everything now - that takes out a piece of interest for future issues).

And about USAgent's shield - stay tuned True Believer!

scottk.

Rook
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I think Guardian could be as powerful as BRB - As the Collective, his power levels were off the charts, and there's nothing concrete yet about how much power he has retained, or what specific powers and effects he can do.

I LOVED that sequence from Pointer's POV where he flew into the thick of battle - I laughed out loud when I read it.

Legerd
07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I LOVED that sequence from Pointer's POV where he flew into the thick of battle...

Same here. I meant to give Scott the kudos in my last post, but forgot. :oops: Those panels were very cinematic.

Barnacle13
07-13-2007, 02:39 PM
I think this issue is a tough one, I can see all f the arguments already pointed out (pacing, history, characterization, artwork, etc.) I loved the action and much of the characterization was dead on. USAgent in particular was well written as was Arachne. The artwork was a bit dizzying, but then locked in that action sequence you probably would be too. I found myself chuckling throughout the combat. It is full of great one liners. I can't wait to see if Walter can overcome the beast before he becomes what Guardian already is. This should really strike a chord with all of the Alpha Flight fans who have been hating on Pointer as Guardian. Now that the tables are turned and it's his life on the line, how would Alpha fans react if Sas did kill him? Would they be forgiving, since Tanaraq is in control, or would they be as harsh as they've been with Pointer. I have to admit, the last panel really has me thinking about Pointer's "guilt" in the matter of the death of Alpha Flight. So, overall I'm happy with the issue. It is full of action, which has been a complaint from the start. The story isn't dragging any longer. At the same time, it does make us all question what we've believed to be true all along. I can't wait for the resolution in issue #5. Also, the characterization is very strong on most of the characters. Artwork was amazing as it has been throughout the series. My favorite panel is a close up on Guardian's eye through the helmet's eyeslits. The color and clarity of the image were amazing. So, thanks again to Oeming, Kolins, and Reber for another great ride. I just hope it doesn't end next month!

SmurfInABlender
07-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I honestly love the art, i feel its a really nbice change to other comics

kozzi24
07-14-2007, 10:55 AM
[quote="Transmetropolitan"]

And Walker.... really IS more likable when he's in combat.
quote]

Yeah, I thought his abrasiveness was forced or overdone in the beginning of #4, but he did shine once the battle started.

firestar
07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
get it yesterday afternoon...
he took me sooo long to take the time to red it... my mum always called me to look after a thing or an other one... but, at the end of the day, I finally found the time to red it!

Le Messor
07-15-2007, 01:01 AM
I felt kind of hollow afterwards. Why? I think because I felt that the series overall can't be great. Not with only one issue left.
If it were a full ongoing, I think it could be an amazing series--and this is me saying this.

I loved that Walker's shield (which I never assumed was the 'riginal) did nothing against Sas.

I loved the line about 'I'm not Guardian. I'm not even Canadian.'

The 'Canadians only' bit annoyed me. Not the line, I liked that (tho' I'd expect a couple of tourists to jump out of line going 'Oh, really? Sorry, I'm from Britain...') but because (and this isn't specific to this series) of the way ordinary people were portrayed (by implication). Since this issue doesn't focus on non-combatants, they're props, waiting around to be nothing more than a side-issue.
Vis a vis: Why didn't somebody else (not Agent Brown or an Alphan) drive the truck full of people away before they even got there?
Why were the people not already evacuating? Besides their bowels, I mean... (I just think the place was pretty crowded for a disaster area.)

I felt sorrier for Talisman than ever. Not only does she have to look at Pointer, and be reminded of the people he killed; not only does she now have to put aside all that to fight with him--
Just to rub it in, he has the same name as her father.
I never noticed it before she spoke his name. (Oh, and the writer, and me for that matter, but we're kinda irrelevant here.)

- Le Messor
"Even if you win the rat race, you’re still a rat."