PDA

View Full Version : World War Hulk 3/5 : Zom

Manikin
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Who the heck is Zom? I know he was a daemon that Dr. Strange fought back in the day, but I can't really find anything else. Can anyone shed some light?

SephirothsKiller
08-05-2007, 03:58 AM
Who the heck is Zom? I know he was a daemon that Dr. Strange fought back in the day, but I can't really find anything else. Can anyone shed some light?

That confused me too... I might skip issue four of this mini as I'm not enjoying it all that much.

Legerd
08-05-2007, 10:49 AM
While I applaud the effort to explore new territory with the same old characters, I find WWH has a lot of flaws: heroes acting out of character, plot holes, action happening off panel constantly which leads to a general feeling of malaise towards the story.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the direction Joe Q is taking Marvel in is the same as the WWE? In the sense that there are no good guys and bad guys anymore. You have the most horrendous villains acting as heroes, the most trusted heroes acting as villains. The characters run around without any moral compass of their own, rather it's been replaced with one dictated by SHIELD and the government. And it seems as if none of them are thinking for themselves, they just follow whatever orders they're given.

Dfense75
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
While I applaud the effort to explore new territory with the same old characters, I find WWH has a lot of flaws: heroes acting out of character, plot holes, action happening off panel constantly which leads to a general feeling of malaise towards the story.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the direction Joe Q is taking Marvel in is the same as the WWE? In the sense that there are no good guys and bad guys anymore. You have the most horrendous villains acting as heroes, the most trusted heroes acting as villains. The characters run around without any moral compass of their own, rather it's been replaced with one dictated by SHIELD and the government. And it seems as if none of them are thinking for themselves, they just follow whatever orders they're given.

I agree. I to miss the days when we knew who our heroes where. I think the current Marvel direction is supposed to mirror alot of how our world is today. The actions of dictators and of supposedly moral world readers have become hard to label as "good" or "evil". The political landscape is very very grey atm. While I commend Marvel for trying to make stories that are relevant to today. I think they have lost site of something important. Comics have the chance to be the mythology of today. The youth in todays world dont have their mythology. I suppose Harry Potter is close and are very good stories. I do not know enough about them to judge their value. But its something. With comics they have the opportunity to teach and show examples of morality and honor in a fun and exciting way. I would like to see those days return.

SephirothsKiller
08-05-2007, 12:18 PM

I agree. I to miss the days when we knew who our heroes where. I think the current Marvel direction is supposed to mirror alot of how our world is today. The actions of dictators and of supposedly moral world readers have become hard to label as "good" or "evil". The political landscape is very very grey atm. While I commend Marvel for trying to make stories that are relevant to today. I think they have lost site of something important. Comics have the chance to be the mythology of today. The youth in todays world dont have their mythology. I suppose Harry Potter is close and are very good stories. I do not know enough about them to judge their value. But its something. With comics they have the opportunity to teach and show examples of morality and honor in a fun and exciting way. I would like to see those days return.

I think this is why I'm starting to only like Marvel's smaller titles. They all do what they do very well.

Annihilation: Really the only "there's no moral grey area here" series in the MU right now. Excellent. And with a talking Racoon to boot.
X-Factor: Noir stories are supposed to be morally grey and angsty, but this still comes off alot less tripe filled than the main titles.
Etc.

For the other side of the coin we have New Avengers, which has turned into some angst ridden "what do we do, when, and who shall we do it with?" festival. (Also horrible is "fan service ultron.")
In the main X-Men title that has been selling so well we literally just had half a character roster turn evil.

Personally, I favour character driven stories as opposed to plot driven stories, but it seems that the big stories at marvel are SO plot driven that the characters within can completely change their personalities whenever it fits the writers make up.