PDA

View Full Version : omega flight #5: Got it!

varo
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
got it.

gonna read it and post impressions soon.

btw, anyone know any background (what they wrote/drew) of richard koslowski/andrea devito?

they will be handling guardian from here on out.

-K-M-
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Got it, and had a few concerns. Beautifual artwork, but this issue irked me more then any previous issue.

I'm sad to see it go, and wonders if there will be a future for the team

SPOILERS:

Shaman's bag is sealed up forever trapping Tanaraq

Well it's Beta Ray Bill who doesn't come home as he is traped in the Realm of the Beasts.

Concerns:

Why is everything being called a Great Beast? As in Surtur's demon army, they are not Great Beasts.

Apparently USAgent can do better against the Wrecker and the Crew then Sasquatch can..Come on, and even when he got charged by Tanaraq you make Bill hit him once and Sasquatch goes down? Give the guy some credit he has been kicked around all series.

No Snowbird when a Great Beast arrived on our plane? errrr?

So are the other Great Beasts, who are superior to Tanaraq not going to simply just kill Beta Ray since he is in their realm now?

Why is Talisman weaker now?

SPOILERS:

varo
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
yeah, this was my least favorite of the issues, and i agree with alot of with king said.

why is talisman weaker?

why did usagent take down the wrecking crew, when sasquatch couldn't (i'm sure some can argue that they were drained from the sudden loss of power)

why does no one have a clue who beta ray bill is?

why are all the demons great beasts?

why does everyone have to go their seperate ways at the end of the issue (except for julia, walker and of course michael)

i did love scotts art, he nailed some old school images of both guardian and sasquatch that had me reminiscing.

also, usagent went looking for his shield, and found it.

it feels to me like mike put brb away somewhere for future use. i also have a sneaking suspicion that marvel will use this team again, but may not use the current creative team (god i really hope scott kollins gets the chance to continue drawing sasquatch and guaridan, they have not looked this good since byrne)

seems like tptb did not like the direction of this book, yet see's its potential, so we may very well see omega again, but i doubt mao will be writing it. (i mean no disrespect)

-K-M-
08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Removing BRB from the team is a bad move as many bought the book solely for him. Also it sure seemed like everyone who wasn't in Alpha Flight had their stuff together and saved the day and actually well..was strong.

SmurfInABlender
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
well I like the idea of BRB in a far off realm, great use for a mini on BRB, doesn't mean he isn't on the team just that he is trapped for now, could come back and join the team

I liked the way things were fixed for michael.

I think Talisman is weaker because she has a lack of will perhaps?

I don't know I thought it was a good issue and I still think of all the adds Arachne fits the best on the team. i think they sent them their separate ways so that it was a clear ending, and sadly left all the characters to be handled by some one else in the future without having to take them out of the team because technically the only people on the team right now really are Arachne and Michael the rest are MIA except maybe U S Agent who is simply doing what ever he wishes and roaming Canada on his own taking out who ever he wishes (Does he have a green card?)

Garry/Al-Fan
08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Good wrap-up for the five mismatched characters that were offered as Omega Flight: Arachne, Beta Ray Bill, Michael Pointer, Talisman, and USAgent. Talisman is traumatized, too. Makes sense imo.

Does it make a lot of sense without Snowbird? No. Does it make a lot of sense without The Old Gods? No.

Is it interesting for what it promised? Yes.

It promised those five characters as Omega Flight and that's what readers got, no more no less. I'm not convinced that the conceptual foundation as presented is strong enough to justify an on-going series in its own right, but it is interesting enough to be part of a anthology that Marvel actually likes.

I'd really like to know what performance evaluation Jeff Brown is going to get from the Prime Minister.

It could've been great, but it could've been worse. All in all, a commendable effort.

Canucklehead
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I actually thought it was a great ending. Who would have thought it would end without the stereotypical gathering of everyone in arms for one final panel, smiles all around.

Everyone pretty much goes their separate ways, which leaves the next writer to pick from where he likes. Talisman and Sasquatch are readily available on standby for the next national crisis. I really like Arachne. She fills the missing gap left by Heather(not as good as the real thing but ya work with what ya got). BRB can be easily brought back with an open Shaman pouch if the writer sees fit. If said writer is a fan of the twins, he/she can easily bring them in while leaving BRB or USAgent aside. Thats what I like about the open ending.

Michael has proven himself a hero and will get to share his own limited series, hopefully to get the word out even more. The one thing about Flight that always bothered me was for major Marvel events, they are rarely, if ever, around. Hulk comes back to earth, does Tony think to recruit the man who fought Sentry to a stand still in space and brought Iron Man to his knees? Imagine the easy, free advertising for Flight by just getting Guardian to fight the Hulk for a couple panels, showing what he can do. If it gets ONE new person interested in the character, why not do it?

Oh well.

Good work boys! Hope you're all coming back on the title.... soon! 8)

varo
08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
i really hated the basis of the ending.

'its hard to say what the future holds for omega flight"

the whole basis of the team was that it was formed to protect Canada from the influx of villains due to Americas stricter policies and heavier "policed" states, so theres more opportunity in Canada.

so now theres no more need for that?

ugggghhhhhhh........!!!!!

tptb at marvel said if the series sells well, it will be made a ongoing.

it has sold well and then some. wheres the ongoing?

Mokole
08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Even though I don't have the issue, it's clear to me that they did what they did to end the series because Marvel Editorial said to. Loners won't end with the people all going home, of course, because if they extend IT into an ongoing Marvel Editorial wants that team.

It was a miniseries and Marvel has made it clear that they didn't want it to be an ongoing (does MAO even work at Marvel anymore?). So to make it a mini and wrap it up, the team is not a team so much anymore.

Really, if no accurate news comes out of Toronto Con, you'll know that AF is toast until Joe Q leaves. Wait and see. :roll:

SephirothsKiller
08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Out of everything, USAgent kicking the crap out of the wrecking Crew, Bill taking down Sasquatch like he was nothing, and Talisman's canon contradicting power nerf annoyed me the most. (Particularly the last one. I mean honestly! The whole point of that power was that it was her destiny and she had it whether she liked it or not!)

SmurfInABlender
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
well, here is the thing, I think they said they would make it ongoing with sales because they didn't think it would sell well. When they saw it was amazing they knew that could market off of it, but it takes so long to get an ongoing ready that they would need the vibe to stay alive, so rather than try and put together and ongoing that might turn around and fail they put this little 8 page thing in the marvel premier or what ever it is called to hopefully "satisfy" our interest, and if it sells well and does well they will probably use the team doing that and spin off a series.

SephirothsKiller
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
well, here is the thing, I think they said they would make it ongoing with sales because they didn't think it would sell well. When they saw it was amazing they knew that could market off of it, but it takes so long to get an ongoing ready that they would need the vibe to stay alive, so rather than try and put together and ongoing that might turn around and fail they put this little 8 page thing in the marvel premier or what ever it is called to hopefully "satisfy" our interest, and if it sells well and does well they will probably use the team doing that and spin off a series.

A lie is still a lie.

Captain Primate
08-09-2007, 09:18 AM

A lie is still a lie.

I'm pretty sure that they never definitively said that sales = ongoing. They always used qualifiers like "a good chance" or "possibly," so as to give them a way out if it didn't turn into an ongoing.

SephirothsKiller - seriously, don't start calling them liars. We are *the* alpha flight/omega community that is always referred to (either when we are being a pain in the ass or when we are being super supportive). So, starting to get nasty towards Marvel because we feel entitled (which, in the grand scheme of things, we really aren't) is probably not a terribly good strategy to maintain good relations (which certainly can't hurt if we want an ongoing). This doesn't mean we can't be critical, quite the contrary. We just need to avoid being mean about it.

</rant>

Flightpath07
08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, on the one hand, i could say told you so!

On the other hand, if you read Scott Kolins post on this site, you will find that he believes that there ARE "plans in the works" at Marvel for a Canadian superteam, which he wishes he could be a part of, but he will not be involved with at this time. Also, he states again how he hopes to come back and tell some "Alpha Flight" stories in the future. Either Scott is still talking about doing some back stories, or he knows enough about the "plans in the works" to know that the return of Canada's superteam will be AF not OF. After all, in his post, Scott never once mentioned the words Omega Flight, but he did mention the words Alpha Flight.
So...maybe our cries have been heard, after all?

Or...maybe not.

By the way, and meaning no disrespect to the great American and worldwide fans of Alpha/Omega Flight, but would it be too much to ask to hope that we could get a Canadian writer and a Canadian artist for the next resurrection of Alpha Flight? Heck, we all know that Kolins/Reber/Oeming did a wonderful job [ =D> ], their love shone through what they did, but it sure would be nice to have some homegrown talent working on the telling of tales of this team, some people who KNOW Canada like the back of their hands and truly understand the mentality of its people.
Whoa...that'd be cool [dreaming] ... [-o<

Captain Primate
08-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, on the one hand, i could say told you so!

On the other hand, if you read Scott Kolins post on this site, you will find that he believes that there ARE "plans in the works" at Marvel for a Canadian superteam, which he wishes he could be a part of, but he will not be involved with at this time. Also, he states again how he hopes to come back and tell some "Alpha Flight" stories in the future. Either Scott is still talking about doing some back stories, or he knows enough about the "plans in the works" to know that the return of Canada's superteam will be AF not OF. After all, in his post, Scott never once mentioned the words Omega Flight, but he did mention the words Alpha Flight.
So...maybe our cries have been heard, after all?

Or...maybe not.

By the way, and meaning no disrespect to the great American and worldwide fans of Alpha/Omega Flight, but would it be too much to ask to hope that we could get a Canadian writer and a Canadian artist for the next resurrection of Alpha Flight? Heck, we all know that Kolins/Reber/Oeming did a wonderful job [ =D> ], their love shone through what they did, but it sure would be nice to have some homegrown talent working on the telling of tales of this team, some people who KNOW Canada like the back of their hands and truly understand the mentality of its people.
Whoa...that'd be cool [dreaming] ... [-o<

I nominate Steve McNiven as the new artist!

DaVeO
08-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Got it, great fight. Talisman not being as powerful? Needs explanation. Surtur's demons being called The Great Beasts had to be a fuax pas, if it wasn't BRB who said it, if not it could have just been mistaken I.D. (How would anyone else know what they were?) I think The Crew was drained of power pretty much and were weaker for it. Kind of like an hour long adrenaline rush and then becoming weak-kneed at the end.

The wrap-up is what I expected (except for Bill being trapped.) A great mini and I will be sorely upset if it does not get the go-ahead for an ongoing. Marvel has to strike while the iron is hot! Let's send in those letters people!

PWalk
08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Just got done with it. Outstanding book all around from writing, pencils, and colors. I'm going to miss it next month but theres always MCP #1 I guess.

I've become a fan of all that were in the creative staff and I'll be following their work in the future.

Guardian
08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I liked the last issue. Overall I'm pretty damn happy with this series as a whole. I'm hoping for an ongoing. [-o<

Mario
08-10-2007, 02:22 PM
At the end of the issue, Omega Flight consists of two former West Coast Avengers and the new Guardian. Both of the former Alphans have left, and the only other Canadian (sort of) is stuck in another dimension....

Tiberius Bane
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, it's done. I dont have much to say about the series other than the art was good and I probably would have liked the story more if Guardian wasn't an American. But I can't get past that. Like I keep saying, its the same as making Captain America a Canadian.

I won't be getting Marvel Comics Presents and the multi-part Guardian story "Weapon Omega".

I really hoped he was going to die at the end and Agent Brown would become the new Guardian.

Oh well. Ill just have to continue hunting down back issues of Captain Canuck I guess.

SmurfInABlender
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I like agent brown as he is tough. I was a big fan of Madison Jefferies before he inherited the box suit when he jsut ran aroudn in a brown leather jacket and transmutatated metal.

Le Messor
08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I liked the issue, but felt disapointed. I don't know, I think I needed better closure somehow. We got hints at the stories that would've been if it'd continued, but not those stories. Sad now. :cry:

Observe the 'evil Talisman'. (When Walt's imagining she wants to kill him.) Notice that headdress she's wearing?
Come to think of it, is that what the Talisman jewel is now based on?

Hey, if it does continue, since everyone's split up, it could be a Byrne-style one character at a time series!

I think they made the mailman very heroic by the end, though I thought Liz's turnaround on him was too quick. 'Hello, my name is Elizabeth Twoyoungmen. You killed my father. Prepare to die. No, wait, you did something cool, I'll save you from my former teammate.' I liked Sas's, however--'You were possessed. I just remembered, I know what that's like.' It worked.

I'm still completely unconvinced that he should be wearing the flag costume--whatever the tech beneath the cover.

(look at this)
(http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=1150)

It promised those five characters as Omega Flight and that's what readers got, no more no less.

Technically, no. They never did get together--the 5 didn't--and say 'we're Omega'; 3, maybe 4 did, and Bill fought with them. (Guardian is the maybe 4; I think you could argue him either way.)

Who would have thought it would end without the stereotypical gathering of everyone in arms for one final panel, smiles all around?

I did!

A lie is still a lie.
SephirothsKiller - seriously, don't start calling them liars. So, starting to get nasty towards Marvel because we feel entitled (which, in the grand scheme of things, we really aren't)

Primate, I agree that diplomacy is always called for. I agree that getting nasty towards Marvel is a bad idea at this stage, and bad form generally.
However, I also differentiate between saying 'what that person just said is a lie' and saying 'that person is a liar'.
And, if somebody lies to me, I always feel entitled to point it out (whether I do so or not).

Seph, I'm not sure Marvel ever did say 'good sales = ongoing' so I'm not sure there is a lie here.

- Le Messor
"When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you screamed I'd fight away all of your fears...
These wounds won't seem to heal,
This pain is just too real,
There's just too much that time cannot erase."
- Evanescence, My Immortal (NP)

Canucklehead
08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
(look at this)
(http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=1150)

I don't mind people using "eh" now and then but come on, us it in a proper sentence! "I snuck across the border looking for a better life, eh?" doesn't make any sense!

Ahab
08-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I liked this series - loved the fact that someone used Talisman and got her into the limelight more. I didn't mind that she was less powerful. It would make sense that what she went through by losing so many friends could have deeply affected her and thus her powers. It's not fun for me to watch a character that is too powerful anyway, so it worked for me.
I was a little disappointed that Snowbird didn't get involved, however. I was really hoping to turn the page after the panel where someone says to Talisman and Walter "I know what to do" and see Snowbird standing there. Instead it was a car ad with lions on it!!! Then I turn the next page to see that it was Bill. Have to say that was disappointing. I thought one of the creative team said that Snowbird fans would be surprised. I realize that she was involved in sending the visions to Bill and Elizabeth but wish she would have joined the fray. I guess the assumption was that she was busy taking care of the volume 3 guy that she supposedly married. (Ugh. Don't get me started on that stupid story decision.)
Guess I was hoping that we would see a little more involvement from other classic characters, like Shaman or the twins by the end of the series. Or that the storyline with the Purple Man would eventually involve Persuasion. With that storyline quickly wrapped up in two panels, guess
that won't be happening either. :(
I'm glad that we had this series. Glad that we had such a great creative team. I'm not glad that it seems like Marvel screwed up again by waiting too long and blowing any chances of this same creative team handling any potential ongoing. Maybe I'm being too negative. Maybe they are just being coy because they aren't allowed to say anything. I hope that is the case. But I doubt it. :cry:

DaVeO
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I liked this series - loved the fact that someone used Talisman and got her into the limelight more. I didn't mind that she was less powerful. It would make sense that what she went through by losing so many friends could have deeply affected her and thus her powers. It's not fun for me to watch a character that is too powerful anyway, so it worked for me.
I was a little disappointed that Snowbird didn't get involved, however. I was really hoping to turn the page after the panel where someone says to Talisman and Walter "I know what to do" and see Snowbird standing there. Instead it was a car ad with lions on it!!! Then I turn the next page to see that it was Bill. Have to say that was disappointing. I thought one of the creative team said that Snowbird fans would be surprised. I realize that she was involved in sending the visions to Bill and Elizabeth but wish she would have joined the fray. I guess the assumption was that she was busy taking care of the volume 3 guy that she supposedly married. (Ugh. Don't get me started on that stupid story decision.)
Guess I was hoping that we would see a little more involvement from other classic characters, like Shaman or the twins by the end of the series. Or that the storyline with the Purple Man would eventually involve Persuasion. With that storyline quickly wrapped up in two panels, guess
that won't be happening either. :(
I'm glad that we had this series. Glad that we had such a great creative team. I'm not glad that it seems like Marvel screwed up again by waiting too long and blowing any chances of this same creative team handling any potential ongoing. Maybe I'm being too negative. Maybe they are just being coy because they aren't allowed to say anything. I hope that is the case. But I doubt it. :cry:

I'm with you Ahab. Marvel has not contacted Mike or the art team so far. I think we're getting screwed again.

Flightpath07
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm with you Ahab. Marvel has not contacted Mike or the art team so far. I think we're getting screwed again.

Yup.
It has taken a while, but we are all figuring out what we guessed at when Marvel originally pulled the ongoing in favour of making it into a mini. They don't care about us, or our superheroes.
So, anybody know what DC and Image have been up to lately? Think I will take a stroll over their way for a good long while...

cmdrkoenig67
08-16-2007, 05:00 AM
My only hope is that someday, we'll get the original Alpha Flight back...Unfortunately, their histories will be even more convoluted (having died and come back...How many times is this for Mac now?)

Dana

Flightpath07
08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
My only hope is that someday, we'll get the original Alpha Flight back...Unfortunately, their histories will be even more convoluted (having died and come back...How many times is this for Mac now?)

Dana

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree.

Uh...any realistic chance that the AF that died were all Skrulls?
[ man, it hurts to cling to ideas that are that moronic... ]

Garry/Al-Fan
08-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Heck, that hurts less than trying to accept time traveling/Plodex-babysitting/temporal copies who got dropped like they were nothing.

Skrulls, every last one of 'em...even Yukon Jack! If so, that's a come-back I wouldn't mind seeing.

cmdrkoenig67
08-17-2007, 07:35 AM

Dana

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree.

Uh...any realistic chance that the AF that died were all Skrulls?
[ man, it hurts to cling to ideas that are that moronic... ]

I agree....The folks easiest/most likely to have been replaced by Skrulls are the non-powered folks, like Heather and Mac (maybe MMII...Bleh!)...The Skrulls could have used the Hudson's suits (or other technology to mimic their suits abilities)...I suppose they could have replaced Puck and Puck II (bleh II) too...Maybe that's how the AF got owned so easily by the Collective?

Unfortunately, Shaman probably could not have been replaced by a Skrull...it's highly unlikely they would be able to wield his magics/medicine bag.

Heck, that hurts less than trying to accept time traveling/Plodex-babysitting/temporal copies who got dropped like they were nothing.

Skrulls, every last one of 'em...even Yukon Jack! If so, that's a come-back I wouldn't mind seeing.

I'm not sure if I'd like to see a Yukon Jack (or MMII and Puck II) "come-back", but I'd love to see the original AF make one.

Dana

Flightpath07
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Again, I know I (we) are reaching at straws with this discussion.

But the skrull thing would make sense. Rather, Marvel could easily make it make sense, if they chose to.

How potentially easy would it have been for the Skrull race to grab Alpha Flight while they were off in space on the Plodex ship, take them captive, and replace them with (obviously inexperienced) Skrull shapeshifting warriors?

And how easy (and how cool) would it be if Marvel's upcoming Skrull spectacular were headlined by Alpha Flight busting out of captivity and warning everybody about what has been happening?

And then, Mailman Mike could die in a nice big explosion, saving the world from the Skrulls. Yay, Mikey's a hero. Yay, Mikey's no more!
Goodbye, fake Guardian. Hello, real Guardian!

Mokole
08-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Yah, people want the Skrulls to be AF, Captain America, and anyone else they like. But when Skrull's impersonating someone get killed, they turn back into Skrulls, Wolverine and Elektra for instance. AF didn't revert into Skrulls upon death. A longshot retconn, but retconns do happen.

cmdrkoenig67
08-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Yah, people want the Skrulls to be AF, Captain America, and anyone else they like. But when Skrull's impersonating someone get killed, they turn back into Skrulls, Wolverine and Elektra for instance. AF didn't revert into Skrulls upon death. A longshot retconn, but retconns do happen.

How do we know that they were totally dead in the images shown (I know I'm reaching here)?...If S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and former chief, Maria Hill is indeed, a Skrull (like a lot of people believe)...There's no way she would let anybody see footage of the dead AF (if they are/were Skrulls, that is).

Dana

Mokole
08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I suppose, but if Hill and other SHIELD SKrulls reclaimed the bodies, which is just weirder, then the extremely long stretch is, uh, possible. However, dead AF most likely was seen by Sasquatch, medical personnel, Canadian arctic soldiers...

But retconns happen. After all, Hudson's return was a huge retconn.

leonmallett
08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I really enjoyed OF 5 and look forward to reading the whole series. Great parting shot with BRB.