PDA

View Full Version : Paolo Rivera at The National

rplass
11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting an Alpha Flight artist today, Paolo Rivera. He drew the four covers to the Sabretooth: Open Season LS in 2004-05, which is one of my favorite mini-series ever. He was in the artist alley at the National Comic-con in NYC. I asked him to autograph my copy of issue #3, featuring Sasquatch on the cover. He was a really nice guy, and he was very pleased to sign my comic. On the table was a book with reproductions of the original pieces used for the four covers and let me tell you, they were fantastic.

The coloring on the original version of issue #3 wasn't so orangey. It was more yellow than orange on Sabretooth's costume, which made Sasquatch's orange stand out better, especially on the border between Sabretooth's back and the obscured portion of Sasquatch's uplifted arm. He explained that it's never a perfect color reproduction, but for that issue, the palette wasn't specified correctly in Photoshop, something like that.

Compare:

http://comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/137/52940_20061103183837_large.jpg Cover to Issue #3

4248Original oil

He had some other stuff there that really blew me away. He's one of those real artists that bring an amazing level of talent to the industry and I was honored to have met him. Next time, I'll definitely get a Sasquatch commission, but I'll have to wait until January or so.

Love,
rplass