PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine: First Class #5 Cover...

maniac mike
04-14-2008, 10:03 PM
:D I like...

http://comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/200807-advance/WOLVFC005.jpg

MM

-K-M-
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
So do I, nice peice of art there

Dfense75
04-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Ya know...Im not getting my hopes up. But there has been a decent amount of Alpha exposure out there as of late. Do you think that maybe just maybe they are trying to get a feel for what the fans think?

cmdrkoenig67
04-15-2008, 12:47 AM
You would think they'd have a pretty good idea what us Alpha fans want by now...But no.

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Is this series supposed to take place in the 616 continuity or is another alternate universe like X-Men: First Class?

Dana

-K-M-
04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure this series is canon

"The first eight issues of Wolverine First Class are set between the end of X-Men #138 and [Uncanny] #150, so in continuity, in the period right after Jean Grey's funeral and Kitty Pryde's arrival at Xavier's School. Cyclops had left the team at this point, and Storm had become leader.

When we hit #9, I think I'll pick up upon Cyclops' return, but I'd need to research that era some more before I commit to anything."

Loki
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM

"The first eight issues of Wolverine First Class are set between the end of X-Men #138 and [Uncanny] #150, so in continuity, in the period right after Jean Grey's funeral and Kitty Pryde's arrival at Xavier's School. Cyclops had left the team at this point, and Storm had become leader.

When we hit #9, I think I'll pick up upon Cyclops' return, but I'd need to research that era some more before I commit to anything."

It is canon. So if X-Men First Class, btw, despite the odd continuity flub.

-K-M-
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification

varo
04-15-2008, 10:35 PM
hate to sound dumb but what is canon?

mreeez
04-16-2008, 12:07 AM
hate to sound dumb but what is canon?

Official

Corvus
04-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Looks good, other than Shaman looking like his eyes are closed.

birdygirl
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Beautiful cover! I'll definitely buy this book. :D

cmdrkoenig67
04-16-2008, 01:54 AM

Ah...Like oddly different school uniforms that the original X-Men never wore?

cmdrkoenig67
04-16-2008, 01:57 AM

Argh!...Is there any reason besides bad art, that Kitty looks like a 20-something stripper (with implants) and not a 13 year old girl?

:roll:

-K-M-
04-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Argh!...Is there any reason besides bad art, that Kitty looks like a 20-something stripper (with implants) and not a 13 year old girl?

A little T & A sells :wink:

Loki
04-16-2008, 05:41 AM

Ah...Like oddly different school uniforms that the original X-Men never wore?

Yes, like those. Artistic license, or else they briefly used new costumes then ditched them again.

Loki
04-16-2008, 05:42 AM

If you are meaning the cover to #1, they fixed that between the preview and going to press.

cmdrkoenig67
04-16-2008, 07:19 AM

If you are meaning the cover to #1, they fixed that between the preview and going to press.

Thank Dog! Thank you, Loki for the info.

Dana

varo
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
isn't fred van lente the same writer from the iron man adventures alpha appearance? something tells me he may like the original alpha flight.

Phil
04-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Yup, and he's the one writing Snowbird over in The Incredible Hercules.

mreeez
04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Yup, and he's the one writing Snowbird over in The Incredible Hercules.

Very, very interesting.....

varo
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
ahhhh..............the plot thickens. i think i like this guy.

Dfense75
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Perhaps the upcoming author on the new Alpha Flight ongoing we have all been waiting for? hurm...ponder on this I must. I dont believe in coincidence.

-K-M-
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm loving his work on Hercules so far, if he actually did write for Alpha/Omega I would definetly be glad with that news.

DarkSnowbird
05-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Snowy looks great!

Le Messor
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Ya know...Im not getting my hopes up. But there has been a decent amount of Alpha exposure out there as of late. Do you think that maybe just maybe they are trying to get a feel for what the fans think?

You're a dreamer.

But I admit, you're not the only one.

(If I could join you, the world would be as one.)

Flightpath07
05-13-2008, 02:42 AM
You're a dreamer.

But I admit, you're not the only one.

(If I could join you, the world would be as one.)

Oy, more of that wicked Australian humour!

Well, here's my two-cents worth...
I think the WFC cover shown here in this thread is "nice" looking, but the faces are a little too 'manga' for my taste, much too round and innocent looking.
As for our mysterious Fred who seems to be liking to write about Alpha, me thinks we all get our hopes up, and then we will see them dashed upon the cruel rocks that are life.
It'd be nice, and all, but the realist in me screams "No, don't believe it!"
Seen this all before. I'm unimpressed with the hopes we all cling to. I don't feel like doing it anymore, seriously i don't. So, i think i will just enjoy these AF appearances for what they are, a glitch and a blip on the radar of life, something that is nice for now but has no greater meaning other than the enjoyment i get from it at this moment.
And that will have to do.

There are other good team books out there to read, ones that actually get published by companies that care, books like Teen Titans and Dynamo 7. I'm enjoying them, as well as others like Ms. Marvel and Avengers: Initiative, and all the interesting revelations that continue to spill out of The Secret Invasion.

Oh, and I have started collecting superhero busts. You can find that thread in the General Discussion section..."Bust-ed".

-K-M-
07-18-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=743&disp=table

birdygirl
07-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Beautiful artwork. It's good to see (part of) the classic team again. And Birdie using her postcognitive sight? Cool.

The only thing I didn't like was this silly feud between Aurora and Snowbird. I hope it doesn't continue for the whole story. Or for another Alpha series.

Trewqp
07-18-2008, 08:55 PM
sweet is this a mini series? or on going?

varo
07-18-2008, 11:03 PM
awesome. i haven't seen snowbird use that power since vol.1 issue 2. or was it 3?

either way, awesome. fred is really showing his love for snowbird.

birdygirl
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I just bought Wolverine First Class #5, and all I can say is, "It really is first class!"

The gorgeous artwork by Clayton Henry, the excellent story by Fred van Lente.... now this is Alpha as it was meant be! This is the AF book that Vols. 2 and 3 should have been. :D

Snowbird fans, (such as I am), will especially love seeing her using her post-cognitive vision twice in this story. (And using it in her animal forms? Nice way to expand her powers, Fred.) Also, seeing Birdie as a mouse, (plus Aurora's funny reaction to that).

If Alpha Flight gets a volume 4, then I hope we get Fred van Lente as the writer and Clayton Henry as the artist. Now that would be a dream team.

cmdrkoenig67
07-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, I just bought Wolverine First Class #5, and all I can say is, "It really is first class!"

The gorgeous artwork by Clayton Henry, the excellent story by Fred van Lente.... now this is Alpha as it was meant be! This is the AF book that Vols. 2 and 3 should have been. :D

Snowbird fans, (such as I am), will especially love seeing her using her post-cognitive vision twice in this story. (And using it in her animal forms? Nice way to expand her powers, Fred.) Also, seeing Birdie as a mouse, (plus Aurora's funny reaction to that).

If Alpha Flight gets a volume 4, then I hope we get Fred van Lente as the writer and Clayton Henry as the artist. Now that would be a dream team.

I agree...And if it's the original team (or a close approximation of it)...It would give Clayton the job he wanted when he was hired for Vol. 3....Drawing an Alpha Flight series with original AF.

I can't see them actually keeping Mac, Heather, Puck and Shaman dead...What would be the purpose...They almost never kill off founding members to any team. How long have the founders of the FF, Avengers or the X-Men been killed off for?

Dana

-K-M-
07-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I enjoyed the issue, but technically shouldn't Snowbird turned into a large version of a goat and rat?

All and all, great story, and nice little tie-in with existing history.

HappyCanuck
07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
...but technically shouldn't Snowbird turned into a large version of a goat and rat?

Meh, when you're a demigod the conservation of matter doesn't necessarily apply (tho, when she turned into a swarm of mosquitoes very early in AFv.1, THAT was cool!)

-K-M-
07-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Meh, when you're a demigod the conservation of matter doesn't necessarily apply (tho, when she turned into a swarm of mosquitoes very early in AFv.1, THAT was cool!)

It did in the past, as that's why she turned into over-sized animals and it's mentioned in the bios. *shrugs*

Oh well it's not like it's a big deal, as it was pretty cool actually

cmdrkoenig67
07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
John Byrne had her turn into a normal sized Actic Hare in Vol. 1.

Dana

DaVeO
07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Just finished #5. And oh boy was it a cool story and a clever lead-in to Giant Size X-Men #1. Since this was early on in their formation I'm not too bothered by Aurora's teasing of Snowbird. This was an overall fun issue with beautiful bright art. And I loved the history and political lessons Logan was teaching Kitty. Made this Canadian's heart proud.Bravo Fred!
An Alpha Flight First Class title please. :D Heck I'll even take a mini-series. If I can't have one in the current Marvel U, I'll take one set in the past.

birdygirl
07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I would also be happy to have an AF story set in the past, if it's as good as this one. (Their present life is a mess as it is.)

BTW, I take back what I said about Snowbird's feud with Aurora. The bickering didn't last that long, and by the end of the issue, they were working together quite nicely. Did you see how sympathetic Snowbird was to Wolverine by the end of the story?

I liked Wolverine's leadership of the team in this story. It gives us a good idea of what would have happened if he had stayed on as AF leader.

-K-M-
07-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Dana

I kinda remember that, what issue was that?

cmdrkoenig67
07-26-2008, 12:57 AM
LOL...Good question...I know she transforms from the hare into her human form to speak with Doug Thompson and it's out in the wilderness somewhere...I just don't recall which issue #. I'd have to check through al of them....But I'm at work.

Dana

-K-M-
07-26-2008, 01:15 AM
LOL...Good question...I know she transforms from the hare into her human form to speak with Doug Thompson and it's out in the wilderness somewhere...I just don't recall which issue #. I'd have to check through al of them....But I'm at work.

Dana

Found it, it was from AF #18

cmdrkoenig67
07-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Cool...Thanks KM.

Dana

rplass
07-26-2008, 01:17 AM

Dana

I kinda remember that, what issue was that?

Issue 18 (v1), page 10. Man, I've probably read that issue more than any other and it's been burned into my brain. It's the same issue as the Scrambled Egg Monster!

cmdrkoenig67
07-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Ah yes...Egg-celent!

Dana

Le Messor
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Why does FVL keep writing a feud between Birdie and JM, tho'? It's not from the originals, but isn't it both here and in the Iron Man bit?

- Le Messor
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Garry/Al-Fan
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I like how Fred Van Lente (and Greg Pak in Incredible Hercules) treat the Alpha Flight characters. FVL has given Snowbird depth of personality while keeping her duty-bound yet not-too-chummy [just got W:1C# 5 today]. A bit of friction between Snowbird and the less-serious Aurora seems right to me. It doesn't stop them from accomplishing their mission, thank goodness.

Henry Clayton proves once again that he is an excellent choice to illustrate the Alpha Flight characters. I like the artwork in IH, too. BTW, Snowbird and Hercules makes way more sense than Snowbird and Yukon Jack. IMHO.

I don't know what MARVEL plans for Alpha Flight or Omega Flight, but I hope MARVEL decides to publish more good stories like the ones Fred Van Lente has been doing.

Not so disgruntled, today. 8)

Le Messor
08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I finally got this one! Yay!

First, I really like Alan Davis' style, and wish he'd been the artist on this issue.

Minor nitpicks: Wasn't the guy whose tie got cut named 'Chasen'?
Can Snowbird really become goats? Or mice, for that matter? (Both exist in Canada, I'm shurrr, but they're not native).
I got confused on the first read about the captions; didn't realise who was talking to who.

Good reference to First Flight (shows actual knowledge!) -- and they're on the farm. I liked them getting Shaman into the costume.
We have G-Gs here, too, so it was nice to see that explained for Americans and other creatures of the last days. (Good Omens reference, there.)
I like Logan's 'Hocus pocus' teasing. :)
And Aurora slipping into French.

I keep a reprint of Gt Sized X-Men 1 in my Alpha Flight section--I'll put this one there.
Overall, good issue.

They got Snowbird's eyes right!

Also, who's 'Stephane Peru'? (See the 'Thor' ad).

- Le Messor
"Experiments should be reproducible. They should all fail in the same way."

cmdrkoenig67
08-12-2008, 01:27 AM
There are no mice in Canada or in the arctic? Goat's I'm not so sure of (mountain goats, maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_goat ).

Dana

HappyCanuck
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
There are no mice in Canada or in the arctic? Goat's I'm not so sure of (mountain goats, maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_goat ).

Dana
Mice, voles and most other rodents are native to Canada, but domestic goats are not (mountain goats are, obviously)

SasqFan
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Minor nitpicks: Wasn't the guy whose tie got cut named 'Chasen'?

Yup. I seem to remember Aurora flipping out when she was called Jean-Marie (and vice-versa) in the Byrne issues so I was a bit surprised she didn't care here.

Le Messor
09-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, Jeanne-Marie definitely ran from Guardian when he called her 'Aurora' in #4.

- LM
"Idiot! Even after explaining her problem to you I instinctively called her "Aurora". Exactly the wrong thing to do."
- Guardian

kozzi24
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Yup. I seem to remember Aurora flipping out when she was called Jean-Marie (and vice-versa) in the Byrne issues so I was a bit surprised she didn't care here.

Obviously at this point in time, Aurora did not feel threatened by Jean-Marie.