PDA

View Full Version : Here's My Race Horse: White Balance

Legerd
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
A co-worker and I got together with some other folks to form a syndicate this year. We were able to buy 25% of a beautiful two year old gelding from Florida, whose pedigree includes such champions as Northern Dancer and Secretariat. We got to name him, and since I'm doing a show around how to form a syndicate, my boss suggested we call him something to do with TV. With him being a gray (almost white) we called him White Balance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/wb2.jpg
Coming back from a morning breeze.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/wb1.jpg
Getting a bath to clean up and cool off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Legerd/mewb.jpg
White Balance and me meeting for the first time.

birdygirl
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
What a beautiful horse! :D

Trewqp
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
very good looking horse, looks strong to.
so you guys gonna race with him or make him a jumping horse?
do not let my sister see this... she will go CRAZY over this horse :)

HappyCanuck
07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Beautiful gelding, Legerd.... sooo, which quarter do you own??

Legerd
07-08-2008, 10:13 PM
What a beautiful horse! :D

Thanks. His groom tells everyone he's her boyfriend and visits him all the time. :lol:

so you guys gonna race with him or make him a jumping horse?

Oh, he's a race horse. 8)

Beautiful gelding, Legerd.... sooo, which quarter do you own??

The winning one I hope. :wink: (okay, that was a lame joke I admit it)

Trewqp
07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
so are you a jockey legerd? or just the owner...
so where do you race at?
ever been to florida?

Legerd
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
so are you a jockey legerd? or just the owner...
so where do you race at?
ever been to florida?

Not a jockey, first time owner. Though you'd be surprised how many people ask me that.

White Balance will be racing in Toronto at the Woodbine Racetrack, and maybe down in Florida in the winter. Florida depends on what the trainer wants to do.

Never been to Florida, too hot. :)

Trewqp
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
well if you ever do decide to come down to florida let me know, me and family love race horses,

cmdrkoenig67
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Great looking Horse, L! Wishing he'll bring you lots of wins!

Dana

Legerd
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
well if you ever do decide to come down to florida let me know, me and family love race horses,

You got it Trewqp. :D

Great looking Horse, L! Wishing he'll bring you lots of wins!

Dana

Thanks Dana. :D

Trewqp
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
hey i took a second look at the photo of where you and white balance are meeting for the first time, and jeez it is really pretty, and is the horse's eyes blue?

Legerd
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
hey i took a second look at the photo of where you and white balance are meeting for the first time, and jeez it is really pretty, and is the horse's eyes blue?

Naw, that's just the light reflecting, like how we get red-eye with flash photography.

Trewqp
07-11-2008, 04:22 PM
awww, but still a pretty horse anyways, so have you guys raced yet?

Legerd
07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Not yet, White Balance is still being trained. He will be going up against another two year old next week, in a head-to-head training workout to see how he handles competition.

Trewqp
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
well good luck, and keep me informed on how that competition goes!
:)

Legerd
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks and will do! :D

Dr Doom
07-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Very nice horse my friend!!!
so what type of breed is it?
and WOW is that a pretty horse!!

O and
HAIL DOOM!!!!
BOW DOWN TO DOOM!!!!

Trewqp
07-12-2008, 05:46 AM
WOW doom, i see you have an affection for horse's ;)
see you are a good person on the inside, cmon man talk to us, im here for ya big guy!!

Legerd
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Very nice horse my friend!!!
so what type of breed is it?
and WOW is that a pretty horse!!

Thanks Doc. White Balance is a thoroughbred, but if you're asking what his bloodline is, we believe he is a Godolphin Arabian.

O and
HAIL DOOM!!!!
BOW DOWN TO DOOM!!!!

Er, I'll get right on that. :wink:

Le Messor
07-12-2008, 08:53 PM
He's beautiful. Congrats!

I hope your horse lives as long as mine did -- over 30 years. 'Til last year. :(

- LM
Bernard: Excuse me, there seems to be some mistake. I bought some popcorn and a drink and now I have no money left.
Cashier: That's how much it costs.
Bernard: What is it, magic popcorn? Does it produce some kind of dizzying high?
- Black Books

Trewqp
07-12-2008, 09:53 PM
so is everyone on these fourms a horse pet owner?
maybe if i get one, it'll have super powers, and ill diy my hair blond, and maybe i can become major maple leaf

Legerd
07-13-2008, 12:49 AM
He's beautiful. Congrats!

Thankee kindly.

I hope your horse lives as long as mine did -- over 30 years. 'Til last year. :(

I'm sorry to hear that man, even though he had a nice long life. Thanks for the thought, we plan to do everything we can to make sure White Balance has a good, healthy, long life.

so is everyone on these fourms a horse pet owner?
maybe if i get one, it'll have super powers, and ill diy my hair blond, and maybe i can become major maple leaf

Hey, good luck with that, eh.
quickly while I have him distracted, someone get the big butterfly net

Legerd
09-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Sept. 12, race one will be White Balance's first race! We have the jockey Emma-Jane Wilson, who won the Queen's Plate last year (first woman to do so), riding him. He's starting in post seven, which is the outside post for this race, but after seeing him break from the gate in training, I feel confident he can get out ahead of the other horses easily. Still, this is his first real race, so I'm not going to be disappointed if he doesn't do well.

Wish us luck! :D

Dfense75
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Best of luck to you and White Balance :D

Trewqp
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Best of luck to you and White Balance :D

Legerd
01-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Well, here's an update on what's been happening with White Balance, or as I've taken to calling him, Furious B. Any fans of The Simpsons will get that reference.
In his first race he finished dead last. :cry: But that's okay as it was his first race ever. There were a few reasons he did so poorly, but I won't bother getting into them.
His second race was much better, finishing a healthy third. He had blinkers on which helped him focus, and keep out any distractions.
The next race started well, but quickly went south. The jockey was trying to keep him in check for most of the race so he wouldn't tire himself out, which went against our trainer's strategy. :x To add to it, the burr (a piece of equipment added to the bit to help control problem horses) broke a little over halfway through the race. He ended up finishing fourth, however, entirely on his own as the jockey had little to no control over him.
His final race of the season was with a new jockey, and was the best yet! He broke perfectly from the gate, stayed in fourth through most of the race, then took the lead in the stretch! Unfortunately, he still hadn't quite figured out he was supposed to beat the other horses to the finish and slowed down to let them catch up. :? Still, he finished third in that one, and we know now that he has the ability to win, he just needs the know-how.
Furious B is down in Florida now at Palm Meadows Racetrack, and has had his winter coat shaved off. He's to be entered into a $40, 000 claiming race soon (don't have a date yet) and will be ridden by Kent Desormeaux! If you don't recognize the name, you might remember the horse he rode last year to win The Kentucky Derby and The Preakness Stakes, Big Brown. Yup, our trainer was able to get him to ride our little ol' horse. 8)

Trewqp
01-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, here's an update on what's been happening with White Balance, or as I've taken to calling him, Furious B. Any fans of The Simpsons will get that reference.
In his first race he finished dead last. :cry: But that's okay as it was his first race ever. There were a few reasons he did so poorly, but I won't bother getting into them.
His second race was much better, finishing a healthy third. He had blinkers on which helped him focus, and keep out any distractions.
The next race started well, but quickly went south. The jockey was trying to keep him in check for most of the race so he wouldn't tire himself out, which went against our trainer's strategy. :x To add to it, the burr (a piece of equipment added to the bit to help control problem horses) broke a little over halfway through the race. He ended up finishing fourth, however, entirely on his own as the jockey had little to no control over him.
His final race of the season was with a new jockey, and was the best yet! He broke perfectly from the gate, stayed in fourth through most of the race, then took the lead in the stretch! Unfortunately, he still hadn't quite figured out he was supposed to beat the other horses to the finish and slowed down to let them catch up. :? Still, he finished third in that one, and we know now that he has the ability to win, he just needs the know-how.
Furious B is down in Florida now at Palm Meadows Racetrack, and has had his winter coat shaved off. He's to be entered into a $40, 000 claiming race soon (don't have a date yet) and will be ridden by Kent Desormeaux! If you don't recognize the name, you might remember the horse he rode last year to win The Kentucky Derby and The Preakness Stakes, Big Brown. Yup, our trainer was able to get him to ride our little ol' horse. 8)

Good to hear White Balance is doing good.

Florida?
What part?

I might be able to come and see White Balance, hopefully.

Let me know a date and where!!!

Legerd
01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Good to hear White Balance is doing good.

Florida?
What part?

I might be able to come and see White Balance, hopefully.

Let me know a date and where!!!

Oops, I said Palm Meadows Racetrack by mistake, he's running at Gulfstream Park (http://www.gulfstreampark.com/Footer/Directions/Directions2.htm). Palm Meadows is where he's being stabled. Check the link for the location. WB was supposed to race this Sunday in a turf race, but it was filled up before the trainer could enter him. She's aiming to get him into a race on Saturday January 17, but that's not for certain yet.

Le Messor
01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
White Balance, or as I've taken to calling him, Furious B. Any fans of The Simpsons will get that reference.

Yes, I just got Season 11 recently. :)

The next race started well, but quickly went south.

What direction was the track facing?

- Le Messor
"There is more to life than increasing its speed."
- Ghandi

Legerd
01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
What direction was the track facing?

East-West, so you can see the problem.

Flightpath07
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Are you on the left, or the right? Hard to tell, because you both look like you can run fast.

Legerd
01-20-2009, 01:23 AM

Are you on the left, or the right? Hard to tell, because you both look like you can run fast.

I'm the white guy. Does that help?

Flightpath07
01-20-2009, 05:53 AM

Maybe, maybe not.
What if i am colour-blind?

Legerd
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Maybe, maybe not.
What if i am colour-blind?

Ask the person next to you for assistance.

Legerd
07-11-2009, 09:53 PM
White Balance won his first race today! It was freaking amazing watching him cross the finish line first! Our whole group started screaming uncontrollably and hugging each other.
The winner's circle was hilarious, because he had never been there before and didn't know what was going on. He tried to leave, but was pulled back, then he tried to eat the flowers that ring the circle. Finally he settled down long enough for the picture to be taken.
In the backstretch he had to go for a urine test, and he was so full of himself he was kicking at people and strutting around. I hung around for a while, but my camera batteries died, so I'll go back tomorrow for a proper visit and to give him some mints.

Le Messor
07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Congrats! And, LOL!

- Le Messor
"An executive will always return to work from lunch early if no-one takes him."
- W.G.P.