PDA

View Full Version : Help! the character Powersurge's Romantic life

Powersurge
11-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey everyone,

For those of you familiar with my character Powersurge from the Fan-Fic part fo the forum, I've recently been engaging in some speculation regarding his love life, and have been discussing the matter on another list. Some interesting ideas have popped up.

Rogue has always been the gal he was meant to be with. She is supposed to be his MJ, his Jean Grey. He arrived at the X-Mansion around about the same time she did. Shared her fear of her powers, and her desire to master them. And he even stood up for her when the rest of the X-folks were opposed to her admittence into both the School and the X-Men. And then there is what they learned of their future when they were in an alternate future. But "alternate" might be the key word in that phrase.

I mean, let's face it; both of them have always been too hung up about the potential harm their powers might cause. What if her touch caused an instinctive reaction that, ummm, resulted in him, errr, ahem, exploding? Even if they were in the middle of nowhere, Rogue could very well be incinerated. Or what if she absorded his powers and couldn't handle them, just for a moment? And of course, what if the transfer was permanent?

So, as the story goes, unable to get any closer to Rogue, and yet yearning too, Powersurge took the first available oppurtunity to get further away from her and went off and joined the Protectors.

They still care for each other, but its kinda tragic Sniffle ...

Powersurge went on to have a brief relationship with a homebrew heroine named Starlight. It ended when she heroically sacrificed herself to save Moscow and perhaps the world.

And "these days" (Marvel Comics c.1992) Rogue is all infatuated with Gambit. I figure that subconsciously she is flattered by Gambit's willingness to risk her touch, and put off by Powersurge's refusal.

Whatever the case, Powersurge needs a new love interest, and I'm trying to come up with some interesting ones.

One of my initial thoughts was, believe it or not, Carol Danvers ... reasoning that maybe, just maybe, that part of Rogue that found Powersurge appealing, and which he found appealing in her, ie. her heroic aspirations, was strongly influenced by Carol's psychic residual.

I know, I know ... very cruel. But potentially "interesting".

Of course, she's " ... that red chick that knocked Rogue into orbit". And she hates Rogue's guts.

And while Powersurge likes a woman that can handle herself, he likes to feel needed too. Don't we all? Binary is more than capable of standing on her own feet, is fairly distant, and judging by Ms.Marvel's attitude today (c.2008) she doesn't have much use for relationships with guys ... coming off as kinda butch that way.

Also, she's a little old for Powersurge, who is in his very early 20's. Not that it's a big deal, but taken alongside the other stuff, it registers

Other names that have come up have been Heather Hudson, Aurora, Magma, Mirage, Rachel Summers, Storm, Wasp, and Shadowcat.

It's difficult to imagine Heather with anyone other than James.

Aurora's not only crazy, she's way hot, which is a very bad combination. Walt can keep her.

Magma worships pagan Greek gods, Powersruge worships pagan Germanic gods. Both had at least a passing familiarity with each other from PS's days at the School.

Mirage worships pagan Native Indian spirits, and was eventually granted status as a valkyrie! Does anyone know if this was before UXM#180? Potentially interesting. Opera anyone?

Rachel Summers ... well, they say that dad forms a young girls male archetype, and people have compared Powersurge to Cyclops.

Storm has alot of all the right stuff, but she's like a big-sister or something. Powersurge has too much respect for her for that kind of relationship to work or even be attempted.

Wasp is too high maintainence, and enjoys a glamourous lifestyle. If you asked Powersurge what he likes to do, he'd say risk his life to save the world. If you aked what he likes to do when he is not risking his life to save the world, he would say, train to risk my life to save the world. And if asked what he likes to do when he isnot having anything to do with risking his life or saving the world, he would say that he enjoys such activities as eating, bathing, and sleeping.

Seriously though, a regular nights out, in a tux at that, aren't his idea of a good time. A sportsbar. A library. A hike. A relaxing night on the couch with a movie or documentrary. And training. Lotsa training. The New Mutants thought the X-Men were Danger Room hogs, and then Powersurge showed up.

The only positive we could find regarding a Powersurge/Wasp relationship is that eventualy Hank Pym would end up forcing Powersurge to incinerate him.

Last but not least is Shadowcat. Powersurge always thought she was a total cutie, but she was with Colossus, and was, like, 14 years old at the time ... like the best friends kid sister. But then, its been 3 or 4 years, and Colossus did ditch her awhile back now.

"Wow! Kitty Pryde??? You've ... aaahhh ... <gulp> ... grown."

I could see this one evolving with Powersurge stopping by in England to see his old X-Buddies, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat, spending some time paling around with her and taking in some sights, and they both begin to see each other in a different light ... for her that he isn't such Johnny No-Play stiff he used to be, for him that she isn't such the kid she used to be ... and then circumstances conspire, a bump from a pass-by on a busy sidewalk or something, that puts then close and a little bit of fireworks goes off. They kiss. And both quickly pull away ... you know ... Colossus, Rogue, common history, Britain, Canada, Jew, proud Teuton, could get messy ... never happened .... deal?

So she see's him off at the airport and both go their seperate ways, but then can't stop thinking about the other.

Kind of more a romantic comedy than the romantic tragedy that has other wise defined Powersurge's romantic life.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be muchly appreciated!