PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Guardian

Mokole
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind that most possibilities carry some baggage.

Pointer - means no mutants can be on the team, and his weak-will means he's easy to manipulate; not a leader

J. Hudson - been dead so many times already, but is the original; the daughter issue?

Heather - dead too, unlike Hudson doesn't have the cyborg out; I'm no fans of zombie characters, leave them dead; and has a kid to take care of, maybe?

Jared Corbo - at least he wants to be a hero but is a narcissist and not a listener, arrogant

Adrian Corbo - timid, not a leader

Lilli Stephens or Arlette Truffaut - inexperienced fighters, more passive powers before M-Day, but both seem willing to be heroes, more than Adrian

Manikin - not a leader, often unwilling to get involved

Windshear - maybe best suited to wear the suit but leadership issues, desire

And Feedback, Box?

zephyr74
12-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I wish Guardian would stay dead and that no one but Heather Hudson would wear that suit.

If people thought Mantlo and Lobdell went wrong...it only seems to have gotten worse. Even though Mantlo messed up some things, at least he held to the spirit of the book. I had read and collected all of AF volume one--only Heather Hudson in that red & white suit makes sense. There's an organic truth in that and she had gravitas as leader.

-Zef

DelBubs
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I went with Box/Maddison Jeffries. With the true Guardians KIA, Maddy to me is the best choice. What he could do within the suit with his powers would be interesting to say the least.

Legerd
12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
For me it's got to be Mac. He never got the chance to develop as Guardian before Byrne killed him. The suit was his brainchild, he has the smarts to maximize its abilities, he's the one I want to see leading AF.

zephyr74
12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I think the way Byrne wrote his death was excellent. It truly should've been left at that. His death and the circumstances of it propelled Heather to lead the team. Having Heather as the leader was great because she took on the role with a combination of team spirit, guilt, and inspiration. She believed in AF from day one and then felt she helped cause James' death. That's a lot of motivation. For me, Heather always held this simple moral center, which makes a great team leader.

Madison as Guardian would be interesting. He could repair the suit in mid-combat! The only thing about Madison is that he doesn't have the persona for the suit or for leadership. He's a great prominent team player but not an ideal leader.

DelBubs
12-31-2008, 08:22 AM
A Guardian wouldn't necessarily have to be the leader, Sas is more that able given recent events. IMHO

zephyr74
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
A Guardian wouldn't necessarily have to be the leader, Sas is more that able given recent events. IMHO

I'd personally find that odd. A character that wears the nation's flag as a costume not being the team leader is kind of strange. Like Captain Britain not leading Excalibur or Captain America not leading the Avengers. Just strikes me as strange.

DelBubs
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM

I'd personally find that odd. A character that wears the nation's flag as a costume not being the team leader is kind of strange. Like Captain Britain not leading Excalibur or Captain America not leading the Avengers. Just strikes me as strange.
I see what your saying, but Sas ran Omega with Pointer wearing the flag and the Avengers have been run by a few others while Captain America has been a member. Strange, but not unheard off.

maniac mike
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
How come you don't have Tigerstrike on the list? He could become a candidate for become the new Guardian.

DelBubs
12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Fair point MM, wasn't his suit based on technology stolen from Macs designs?

Mokole
12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Weapon PRIME may be dead.

birdygirl
12-31-2008, 04:43 PM
I can only see Mac Hudson in the Guardian suit. Michael Pointer as Guardian is a sick joke to me. No wonder Snowbird beat him up.

Ryan Maxwell
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Mac IS Guardian. The only other person I could see wearing the suit (and not necessarily the flagged costume, but maybe some variation of it) is Madison Jeffries. Heather should never be in costume. She was perfectly fine as a normal human leading the team.

zephyr74
12-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Madison became the new Box, if he became the next Guardian, what's next? Madison as the latest Nemesis?

Powersurge
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree that Mac was Guardian, and consider his death to have been the first of a long line of blunders in handling Alpha Flight.

While it is difficult to see anyone other than Mac wearing the suit, he has already been resurrected to the point of nausea. The damage has been done. And the only true repair would be an Ultimate Alpha Flight ... which would also be the ultimate repair of the mess they made of AF over the years.

Outside of that I would prefer if no known character wore the Guardian suit and it's Mapleleaf sheath. I would rather see a fresh face. Some patriotic top cop or decorated soldier, something like that. Major Mapleleaf Jr. migth have been good in the suit, but he dead, ain't he?

DelBubs
12-31-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree that Mac was Guardian, and consider his death to have been the first of a long line of blunders in handling Alpha Flight.

While it is difficult to see anyone other than Mac wearing the suit, he has already been resurrected to the point of nausea. The damage has been done. And the only true repair would be an Ultimate Alpha Flight ... which would also be the ultimate repair of the mess they made of AF over the years.

Outside of that I would prefer if no known character wore the Guardian suit and it's Mapleleaf sheath. I would rather see a fresh face. Some patriotic top cop or decorated soldier, something like that. Major Mapleleaf Jr. migth have been good in the suit, but he dead, ain't he?
The person who wore the original Groundhog suit would be a fine replacement, but I figure he's long gone. In reality Marvel should have have left Alpha well alone ater Byrne left or found someone who wasn't intimidated by the work Byrne had done.

Mokole
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
So far, 50% for Mac, and a few scattered votes. None for Pointer, what a surprise.

Mokole
01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
And still Mac leads, but some other interesting options are coming out, and so it goes.

DelBubs
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
So far, 50% for Mac, and a few scattered votes. None for Pointer, what a surprise.Anyone but Pointer, eh?

Mokole
01-31-2009, 11:45 PM
No votes for Radius, Flex, or Feedback either, but they've never been drawn in the uniform. Pointer has, and so far the voters haven't liked what they've seen.

Admittedly, I'm as happy with Pointer wearing the uniform as I would be with US Agent, the Master, Brain Blast, or that government minister who helped Joshua Lord way back when wearing it and 'being a hero'.

Mokole
02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm surprised about the lack of comments about Feedback, Box, and notably Windshear. Feedback is young and coming up and could power the suit himself, Box can 'redeem' himself, while Windshear has experience in a similar role when he had powers.

Guardian
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Gotta go w/ Mac on this one.

Richv1
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
James Hudson he is the orginal and should be the only one. He was the best. Hopefully Marvel wil bring him back.