PDA

View Full Version : Cup o' Joe Poll

Legerd
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
There's a poll on Joe Q's column at CBR here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=joe) asking fans to vote for the title they want to see brought back. Alpha Flight is one of them, so get out and vote. Remember you can vote every day. This poll may mean nothing, but we should let Marvel at least hear us, right?

EDIT: Joe also reveals some news about what is happening with the AF Vol. 2 Classic Trade.

The honest answer, Shrimp Lad, is that "Alpha Flight Classic Vol. 2" is on hold right now.

Ben
11-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Legerd, we are in a narrow 3rd place! MORE VOTES!!!!

Ben

Legerd
11-14-2009, 11:50 AM
We are now in second and (at the time I went to the site) one vote off of being tied for first. Let's tell Joe that Alpha Flight should be the next title Marvel brings back!

rplass
11-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I just voted. We're in first place!

Yay!

Yay also because I can see Mister Jeffries in the preview inks for Nation X #1 and I can see Northstar in the preview for Uncanny #517 on that same page.

Love,
rplass

-K-M-
11-14-2009, 04:46 PM
1. Alpha Flight (105 votes), 2. Generation X (96 votes)*

*at the time I voted

maniac mike
11-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I voted and were still in first place with 111 votes!

Flightpath07
11-15-2009, 04:21 AM
1st place, 123 votes, leading by a margin of 17 votes.

Dang it! I'd LOVE to see the WCA return too, but NOT at the expense of AF! I paused for a millisecond before voting for Flight;does that make me a bad person?

varo
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
voted, we are in first place by 36 votes now.

cmdrkoenig67
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Alpha Flight is really the only group in the list that deserves a come-back.

Gen X was good, but it had it's time...And do we really need another X-Title now?

West Coast Avengers was also good, but the only logical way to bring it back would be to dissolve of the 50 State Initiative. It wouldn't fit into Marvel's current team set-up in the States.

The Loners and Slingers ended with dismal sales (Loners being canned very recently too)...Loners was a sad attempt to expand on the New Warriors idea. I think it's best to go back to the basics with the New Warriors. Mostly original line-up with some new blood thrown in (hence allowing them to qualify for the name "New" Warriors).

Again...Alpha is the only group that is a necessity and deserves a renewal...

Fans want them back and in the comics, Canada has no real team to defend it now (Omega Flight has gone the way of the dodo). I also think a back-to-basics approach (with most or all of the original members) is the way to go. Perhaps the hook could be that they're all damaged/dysfunctional in some way and based all over Canada(as they were in Byrne's run)...Maybe: Heather and Puck could be dealing with long-term injuries and the impact of losing months in comas, Aurora could return with various personalities in conflict (maybe even an immoral, dark side emerging). Snowbird is even more of an ice queen, detached from her former team-mates and friends...Sasquatch could be still hurting from his possession by Tanaraq, unsure of his transformations and his role on the team (as each recent team he's been a part of has "died" in some way, perhaps he could blame himself whether it's rational or not).

Dana

EDIT: BTW, I've voted several times now...Yay, we're still in the lead!

Bill P
11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Just voted.

Alpha with 158 votes
Gen X with 113
WCA with 98

MistressMerr
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Alpha's definitely the most deserving of the bunch. Generation X needs for its characters to make a comeback, just not necessarily as a team.

cmdrkoenig67
11-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Alpha's definitely the most deserving of the bunch. Generation X needs for its characters to make a comeback, just not necessarily as a team.

I don't know...The only Gen X characters still in the spotlight are M and Emma Frost. Husk is hanging around somewhere (just not featured much anymore)...Skin, Synch and Banshee are all dead (some or all will be back as Techno-zombies in X-Necrosha storyline, but they probably won't be back permanently), Jubilee is back in the X-books (formerly in New Warriors), Chamber/Decibel is still in the New Warriors (I think) and Pennance or Hollow, or whatever she's called now is in limbo.

That doesn't leave much of them for a come back.

Dana

Ben
11-16-2009, 09:32 AM
I would imagine they would look at mostly a new crop of Gen-Xers if it came to that.

mos_def
11-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I just voted. We in 1st place. If Joe Q turns and says there was an off list vote that beat Alpha I will be mad. Hopefully Fred Ven Lente can write it. Rock the vote people
I also this is a serious Alpha series

MistressMerr
11-17-2009, 10:39 PM

I don't know...The only Gen X characters still in the spotlight are M and Emma Frost. Husk is hanging around somewhere (just not featured much anymore)...Skin, Synch and Banshee are all dead (some or all will be back as Techno-zombies in X-Necrosha storyline, but they probably won't be back permanently), Jubilee is back in the X-books (formerly in New Warriors), Chamber/Decibel is still in the New Warriors (I think) and Pennance or Hollow, or whatever she's called now is in limbo.

That doesn't leave much of them for a come back.

Dana

This is Marvel, there's always chances for a comeback. XD Jubilee and Husk are both set to be popping back up shortly, M and Emma are around, and I'm crossing my fingers for Banshee to stick around after Necrosha (not getting my hopes up, mind, it's been a long enough three years as is), with Chamber and Hollow also still kicking around in limbo, I'd say they're doing decently, considering Gen X has always seemed like the X-Titles' red-headed stepchild. Heck, even 616 Blink is back.

That said, I think it'd be lame if they forced the old gang together solely for nostalgia reasons (see: New Mutants), since it just wouldn't make sense for them to come back together, given all that's happened.

Wildcard
11-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Just voted.

Alpha Flight - 253
Gen X - 141

Alpha had 35% of the vote. Much more than the others

Mokole
11-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Nice to see. And welcome, Wildcard.

mos_def
11-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I have voted for Alpha FLight more then once. Its allowed but you get that message, hey you already voted.
Im just negative and think Joe Q will say out of 240 something votes, 90 percent of the votes came from 12 people (us) while Gen X was 140 different votes, showing a wider base in a series for cost regarding distribution.
Did that make sense

Ben
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I have voted for Alpha FLight more then once. Its allowed but you get that message, hey you already voted.
Im just negative and think Joe Q will say out of 240 something votes, 90 percent of the votes came from 12 people (us) while Gen X was 140 different votes, showing a wider base in a series for cost regarding distribution.
Did that make sense

Actually, if it says that you have already voted, it doesn't add your vote onto the tally. It seems to make a cookie that remembers if you voted or not and knows not to count it.

Flightpath07
11-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Did that make sense

I agree. That is EXACTLY what I expect for him to say - "Look, this poll was hijacked by those Alpha-Quacks again! Won't they ever give up? Their team is dead, and nobody wants to make a new book. If they wanted a Flight book so bad, they should have voted with their wallets, maybe then Omega Flight would still be around." Yes, I expect him to do nothing but lie, like they all do to us.

Legerd
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Did that make sense

I agree. That is EXACTLY what I expect for him to say - "Look, this poll was hijacked by those Alpha-Quacks again! Won't they ever give up? Their team is dead, and nobody wants to make a new book. If they wanted a Flight book so bad, they should have voted with their wallets, maybe then Omega Flight would still be around." Yes, I expect him to do nothing but lie, like they all do to us.

If he brings up Omega Flight then we can mention that it was selling better than some of Marvel's "major" titles like She-hulk.

Flightpath07
11-22-2009, 06:17 AM
"If he brings up Omega Flight then we can mention that it was selling better than some of Marvel's "major" titles like She-hulk."

Oh, I agree, and I know. The point is, logic is not their way. When we bring them facts, they just finger-point and mock.

cmdrkoenig67
11-24-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm evil...

Dana :twisted:

cmdrkoenig67
11-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Really evil...I voted on two different computers at work...We're now up to 330 votes for Alpha Flight...And there are six other comupters I could vote on.

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! :twisted:

Flightpath07
11-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I disagree. :P

cmdrkoenig67
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
LOL!

Legerd
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Did that make sense

Actually, if it says that you have already voted, it doesn't add your vote onto the tally. It seems to make a cookie that remembers if you voted or not and knows not to count it.

True, but if you clear the cookies from your computer you can vote again. :twisted:

cmdrkoenig67
11-26-2009, 04:00 AM
Whatever works...BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! :twisted:

Dana

Flightpath07
11-26-2009, 04:20 AM

Dana

You cookie-clearer, you! That is it, i am calling the cookie police! They'll come and take a bite out of you... :evil:

cmdrkoenig67
11-26-2009, 04:24 AM

Dana

You cookie-clearer, you! That is it, i am calling the cookie police! They'll come and take a bite out of you... :evil:

Oh beeee-have!

Flightpath07
11-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Oh beeee-have!

Can't; it is my weekend!

Ben
11-26-2009, 07:28 AM
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/cookie-monster-20080603-133713.jpg

Flightpath07
11-26-2009, 08:07 AM
ROTF

LMAO

(It's good to have you back online, Ben)
:D

cmdrkoenig67
12-03-2009, 05:46 AM
498 votes!

Whooo-Hoooo!

Not that JoeQ won't ignore this as well...

-K-M-
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
506 votes now making up 39.47% of the total votes. Not to shabby.

Flightpath07
12-05-2009, 04:14 AM
506 votes now making up 39.47% of the total votes. Not to shabby.

Yes. But, we have to take it with a grain of salt. Because of the issue of people being able to vote more than once, how are we ever to be certain that the voting has not been skewed in AF's favour by that?

I hate to bring it up. But if the numbers and percentages are not true because of that (for instance, what if ten people are voting 30 times each for Alpha Flight), then the popularity of Alpha Flight, or the fan's actual desire ot see them in a new series, is not a truthful barometer of what is being shown in the poll.

I am no longer impressed by us here trying hard to get Marvel to release a new AF series. Until it truly becomes people all over wanting it, I hope it does not happen, because it will just have poor sales and fail miserably again.

-K-M-
12-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Oh nothing really can be taken from the poll, and I doubt Marvel would even make any decisions because of it. I think it was more done just for fun, rather then to be taken seriously.

Legerd
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I am no longer impressed by us here trying hard to get Marvel to release a new AF series. Until it truly becomes people all over wanting it, I hope it does not happen, because it will just have poor sales and fail miserably again.

The problem there FP is as it stands most Marvel fans don't know, don't care about or don't like AF, because of how shabbily Marvel has portrayed them over the years. If we wait for the people to rise up and demand a new book... well I think the term: "when Hell freezes over," will be bandied about. What needs to be done is: a) Marvel starts using the characters as guest stars and really pumps them up to get readers interested in them before giving them their own series, or b) Marvel gives them their own series with one helluva creative team that readers will follow to the new title and who will give the characters the respect due, while Joe Q pimps the book hard.
Either way, the writers have to present them far better than has been done in the past, or else it will be the same story all over again.
Lastly AF has to play a bigger role in the Marvel U. If they don't then they'll end up be segregated to Canada, seen only when some American hero shows up north of the border.

Ahab
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh nothing really can be taken from the poll, and I doubt Marvel would even make any decisions because of it. I think it was more done just for fun, rather then to be taken seriously.

Given that most of the polls have had Alpha Flight as an option, even when including them made no sense, I doubt anything of value is taken from them. I am sure they are not surprised that Alpha Flight is winning it. It is probably is their validation that a poll like that is unreliable and biased.

Flightpath07
12-05-2009, 06:50 PM
"It is probably is their validation that a poll like that is unreliable and biased."

I agree.

And with most of what Legerd said, as well.

The facts are, this poll shows them nothing. And, also, I believe that it will still take a top-notch creative pitch to Marvel, from a big-name and popular creative team, to get a series. Even then, they may have to tie it to a Marvel-wide event in order for bringing the team back to make any real sense, and in that case the pitch may have to come a year or two before the series ever comes out. In which case, up to now, there has not been enough hyping of the characters that are available, to see any new Flight series for a very long time. :cry:

cmdrkoenig67
12-07-2009, 02:36 AM
There are certainly plenty of fans for the other books (they can vote as many times as they can clear their cookies too), so I don't see why the poll would be unreliable or biased.

Dana

"It is probably is their validation that a poll like that is unreliable and biased."

I agree.

And with most of what Legerd said, as well.

The facts are, this poll shows them nothing. And, also, I believe that it will still take a top-notch creative pitch to Marvel, from a big-name and popular creative team, to get a series. Even then, they may have to tie it to a Marvel-wide event in order for bringing the team back to make any real sense, and in that case the pitch may have to come a year or two before the series ever comes out. In which case, up to now, there has not been enough hyping of the characters that are available, to see any new Flight series for a very long time. :cry:

Ahab
12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
There are certainly plenty of fans for the other books (they can vote as many times as they can clear their cookies too), so I don't see why the poll would be unreliable or biased.

Dana

[quote=Flightpath07]"It is probably is their validation that a poll like that is unreliable and biased."

You just said it yourself. The poll allows for revotes. The fact that anybody can vote as many times as they feel like it makes the poll biased. One driven fan could skew the whole thing. I know what you are saying - that one driven fan for another book in the poll could pump up those numbers too. That's certainly true. If they really wanted reliable data, there would be a control in place to prevent revoting. Since there clearly isn't, they're not going to give a poll like this much credence. If they did under these circumnstances, it would really be bad business.

cmdrkoenig67
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
If they really wanted reliable data, there would be a control in place to prevent revoting. Since there clearly isn't, they're not going to give a poll like this much credence. If they did under these circumnstances, it would really be bad business.

Well, then why bother even creating the poll? Unless the whole point is to get some sort of feedback, regardless of any possible bias or multiple voting.

Dana

Flightpath07
12-08-2009, 06:11 AM
"Well, then why bother even creating the poll?"

Any news is good news. They want people to know they are there and "listening to them" (even though the last thing they are doing is what the fans want, especially fans that vote in an intentionally unreliable poll), regardless of whether it is true.

"We'll give you a voice, but not really listen to you, but say we do, so we can keep you happy and keep you hoping, so you will buy our product."

Welcome to "Marketing To The Masses", or "How To Control What People Buy And How To Make Them Want What You Are Selling (Even If They Don't LIke It Or Need It Or Want It)".

Incidentally, I no longer buy ANY monthly titles, from any company or distributer.

Le Messor
12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
So, basic'ly, it's democracy at work.

- Le Messor
"You call it choice because you have to."
- Guardian*, Rich Man Over The Line

* The Christian band, not the leader of Alpha Flight.

Flightpath07
12-13-2009, 07:07 AM
So, basic'ly, it's democracy at work.

- Le Messor
"You call it choice because you have to."
- Guardian*, Rich Man Over The Line

* The Christian band, not the leader of Alpha Flight.

"People come together
Nothing lasts forever
Consume it all
And we will supply
Life is for the famous
Fools and all the shameless
And everything that
Money can buy"

- Powerman 5000, That's Entertainment

Incidentally, that is probably the first time I have ever seen somebody quote the band Guardian here. I actually preferred them in their original lineup, when they were called Gardian. Best album = First Watch.

Le Messor
12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
It seemed only fitting, considering the terrain. :)

- Le Messor
"Do not be in a hurry to tie what you cannot untie."
- English proverb

Flightpath07
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
It seemed only fitting, considering the terrain. :)

- Le Messor
"Do not be in a hurry to tie what you cannot untie."
- English proverb

"Ter-rain"...reminds me of another great album, Dream Theater's "Train of Thought"

Wow, speaking of being derailed, I am really off-topic here...

:?

Le Messor
12-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Not so much a change of topic as a change of seasons. Y'see, every black cloud has a silver lining.

How did we get on this? Oh, yeah...
John Byrne's Alpha Flight to win the Poll!

I agree with Dana, btw... If Alfans can stack votes, so can other people... so the bias kinda neutralises a bit. (Though not always.)

- Le Messor
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."
- Margaret Thatcher