PDA

View Full Version : Reviews Guideline & Wanted List

Ben
02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Here is a guideline for writing reviews. I'm certainly not saying it must be done this way, just a suggestion for those who might find it easier to follow. I'll be MORE than happy to take any review of any issue past or present. AF or Appearance, but I will run a list of recent stuff for those who want. If you don't include images, I can do that when I publish it to the website,

See the following tutorial on how to create a new article:
http://alphaflight.net/showthread.php?5006-Tutorial-How-To-Create-An-Article&p=72506

Issue:
Writer:
Artist:
Cover:
Date Published:
OVERVIEW:

A brief - or not so brief description of the story and events
REVIEW:

Your opinions of the issue. Discuss what you thought of the story, art ect.

RATING:

Number of Maple Leaves out of 10.

Ben
02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
The following new appearance issues I would love to see reviewed:

Uncanny X-Men #521

Ben
02-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Really though? No one willing to write reviews? :( It would be nice to get a couple of these reviewed before the next batch of appearances get printed.

-K-M-
02-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I suppose I could do an Ultimate X one

Ben
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
That would be grand, lets get the ball rolling!

-K-M-
02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Well I can also do Marvel Heartbreakers #1 if no one else minds.

but would I review the whole issue or just the Snowbird story?

Ben
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Well I can also do Marvel Heartbreakers #1 if no one else minds.

but would I review the whole issue or just the Snowbird story?

Whatever you want :) That's thing thing with how I see AF.net developing, it's fan driven. I don't make the rules, I (and the other admins) will simply publish, and polish a bit what fans contribute, either by blog or by forum. We build a good solid organized base now, when next we see a publication, we will be ready to handle the explosion.

Ben

Ben
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
And yes, you want to review it -K-M-, love to have it. If other want to review it too, it will all be published. There is no one person review...FANS SPEAK!!!! I used to review stuff myself, but right now, there is so much other stuff for the site that I have to plug away at when I have the time, so that's where I am hoping the AF community will really form up :).

Le Messor
02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I can do X-Men Noir now.
(A sticky thread on a comics forum? I know I left a Spider-Man joke around here somewhere...)

- LM
"Fresh air. The scent of pine. ...help them."
- Gomez

Ben
02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Since folks are saying such good things about Nation X #3, anyone want to review that one?

Le Messor
02-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Since folks are saying such good things about Nation X #3, anyone want to review that one?

Sure, give me a few minutes to have some lunch.

... did you ever get a review for Uncanny #521?

- Le Messor
"Never skip breakfast. It's one of the six most important meals of the day."

Ben
02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Sure, give me a few minutes to have some lunch.

... did you ever get a review for Uncanny #521?

- Le Messor
"Never skip breakfast. It's one of the six most important meals of the day."

Great! And nope, no one did uncanny 521 yet.

-K-M-
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
I hope some new people take a wack at it.

Ben
02-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm sure that will come with time -K-M-. Consider this morph of AF.net is still young, and the interactive community-driven nature will take some time to really catch on. Consider we are now building a base for when AF is up to bat again, and we are hit with an influx of energy and new members. There is no shortage of material to review out there for anyone who currently wants to go at it, or at some point down the road.

I do see several people really stepping up in several areas, and I commend you all for it! You are all making "Daddy" proud :D

Ben
03-04-2010, 08:15 AM
does anyone have it in them to do
X-Men Noir: Mark of Cain #4 ?

Le Messor
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I don't... I won't have the issue for another week, at least.

- Le Messor
"Garlic is to salad what insanity is to art."

Ben
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Anyone interested in reviewing?:

HERCULES: FALL OF AN AVENGER #1

UNCANNY X-MEN #522

-K-M-
03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
UNCANNY X-MEN #522 is coming out March #24, confusion stems from an interview were they incorrectly said it was coming out last wednesday but never did.

Le Messor
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't... I won't have the issue for another week, at least.
- Le Messor
"Garlic is to salad what insanity is to art."

Just for the purposes of this thread, I now have done that one.

- Le Messor
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Le Messor
04-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Seeing as the Premier Classic is due out in the next 4 weeks or so, anyone fancy writing a review of UXM #120-121 that can be published around the same time?

I've been working through my guest appearances, and these would be next, but I'd like to give someone else a chance.

- Le Messor
"I think therefore I don’t listen to Dan Rather."

Phil
04-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Any other takers then?

DelBubs
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I'll give #120 a whirl if no one else is interested.

Phil
04-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Can you do #120-121?

DelBubs
04-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Yeah, shouldn't be a prob. I'll dig then out and have a refresher.

Phil
04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Anyone willing to do reviews of:

X-Men & Alpha Flight #1-2
X-Men/Alpha Flight #1-2

Ideally to be put up around the start/middle of May?

DelBubs
04-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Give it to the 28th ish, I'll give it a bop after that if needed.

Le Messor
04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Anyone willing to do reviews of:
X-Men & Alpha Flight #1-2

It's not quite that specific, but I did this (http://www.alphaflight.net/content.php?202-Review-X-Men-The-Asgardian-Wars) a while ago.

- Le Messor
"I went for a walk last night and someone asked me how long I was going to be gone. I said, “The whole time."

MajorMountie
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm down. Is there anything specific you want in a review? Tell me what you want, and I will do it. I love reviewing stuff. :)

Ben
04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm down. Is there anything specific you want in a review? Tell me what you want, and I will do it. I love reviewing stuff. :)

Have a look at the reviews section on the home page. Anything that's not yet reviewed, please feel free to do one. It's nice to have the perspective of a new fan on the older books, rather than we jaded oldies ;)

DelBubs
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
'Jaded Oldies'. I resemble that remark :-)

Le Messor
04-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Have a look at the reviews section on the home page. Anything that's not yet reviewed, please feel free to do one. It's nice to have the perspective of a new fan on the older books, rather than we jaded oldies ;)

Hey! I am not a jaded oldie! I may be a communist and a liar and a tenor and a goose and a jaded oldie, but I am not a communist!

DelBubs
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Ben/Phil, any chance of a top ten list of reviews you'de like?

Ben
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Ben/Phil, any chance of a top ten list of reviews you'de like?

Well, it's certainly nothing set in stone. What we'd like to see is eventually is all essential issues reviewed. However for the moment the REALLY essential stuff as Phil and I see it is the early AF stuff. So starting with the X-Men appearances, moving into the top twelve isssues, then then next twelve. This being since the new series is focusing on rebuilding the Byrne era, new readers will want a reference, and if possible we want to be the best source for it. So since Mik did X-Men 109, Del did 120 121, and Mrfurious87 did #1, the next priority will be #2 through 12 of vol 1. In the mean time if any new significan appearances come out that are worth reviewing, that would be grand.

Phil
04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah, the main aim in my head was really trying to get the Byrne material linked so that anyone completely new to AF, coming in just because of Pak/Van Lente/Eaglesham will have some idea of the backstory and maybe something to spark a desire to buy them.

With the upcoming release of Marvel Premiere Classic containing UXM #109, 120-121, 139-140, X-Men & Alpha Flight #1-2 and X-Men/Alpha Flight #1-2 the week before Volume 4 #0.1 I wanted to get those available to people who were on the fence about buying the HC. The Raab series being the least important of them.

Another idea was having a review of Volume 2 #1 and Volume 3 #1, though maybe not putting them on the front page. More having them available as a resource rather than news.
When Volume 4 kicks in and we're reviewing them on a regular basis I don't want the whole front page to turn into reviews.

DelBubs
04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
With the upcoming release of Marvel Premiere Classic containing UXM #109, 120-121, 139-140, X-Men & Alpha Flight #1-2 and X-Men/Alpha Flight #1-2 the week before Volume 4 #0.1 I wanted to get those available to people who were on the fence about buying the HC. The Raab series being the least important of them.

I can see the logic in that. I'm quite happy to do 139-140 unless someone else is interested?

MajorMountie
04-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I'll tell you something crazy. I read all of the reviews flightpath07 wrote for the first 100 issues, and the ones he absolutely hated... I actually liked. That being said, I've fallen for the characters Madison, Purple Girl, Manikin and other than the female Sasquatch stuff, I really enjoy this little storyline. I will admit right now, the one thing I cannot stand, is how much of a downer they made Puck. Puck doubts himself, and gets treated like the Princess gets treated in all the old Mario games. It just doesn't make any sense.

But yes. Perhaps I shall review some stuff soon. :)

EDIT: I am currently on #71.

Le Messor
04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
EDIT: I am currently on #71.

So THAT's what you're on. We've been wondering.

I could possibly do the 2-4 arc?

- Le Messor
"I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away."

DelBubs
04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Mic, if you're happy doing the series stuff I'll stick to peripheral. Only problem I have is not being able to stick to the comic at hand. I read 120-121 then took a look at 123 etc.

Le Messor
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Mic, if you're happy doing the series stuff I'll stick to peripheral. Only problem I have is not being able to stick to the comic at hand. I read 120-121 then took a look at 123 etc.

Well, I've been doing peripheral stuff so far, so I don't mind sticking to that.
I just volunteered for these because they seem a little more urgent.
Also, I'm on the tail-end of a five-day weekend (Easter and ANZAC day at the same time). I can almost afford the time!

Also, you volunteered for UX 139-140.

- Le Messor
"I wish life was not so short," he thought. "Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lost Road

DelBubs
04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm just coming off a four day break which is why I've had a lot more time on my hands. I have three days back at work then Friday off cos some silly beggars getting married. So my times curtailed until Friday. I think if we can get 139-140, a few more of series 1 and the two limiteds done over the next few weeka then the urgency may diminish. That said I reread your review of 'The Gift'? which suggests that it's only the second X-Men AF limited that needs looking at?

Le Messor
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
That said I reread your review of 'The Gift'? which suggests that it's only the second X-Men AF limited that needs looking at?

Maybe... but that was part of a review of a larger work.

I'm about to work up #s 2 -4.

- Le Messor
"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't work."
~ Gallagher