PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks - Feedback pleas :)

Ben
02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm tweaking a few things, so as I tweek, I'll ask for opinions on if you guys like it better tweaked or back how it was.

So I just made sticky threads in a forum section separated a bit thinking it will be easier to skim over the threads/new posts when you enter a section. You will now see headers for "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads"

Legerd
02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I like it. Whenever something is clearly defined like that, I like it. It is visually appealing to me. Nice job! :)

-K-M-
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Yep I like it, helps to keep things organized.

rplass
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Be judicious about the number of stickies per forum. I've seen some forums where there are MORE stickies than posts on the 1st page. No good. I think 1-3 is a good number of stickies, not too much more than that.

Love,
rplass

Ben
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
No worries there. Most stickies we have have been there for years ;)

Ben
02-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Added a small "Users Online" block at the top of the front page of the forum, and one on the top of the front page of the master site.

Ben
02-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Also added Calendar tab on every page.

rplass
02-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Ah, the Calendar tab on every page. That's good.

Calendar thoughts: I can't see what it would be used for except to show known appearances based on solicits and previews. It's a column of Wednesdays with nothing on Sun, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri nor Sat.

You should sticky up a call for users to keep updating the calendar too.

Love,
rplass

Ben
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
So, I just got a new 24" wide-screen monitor. In playing with my resolution I realized a few issues with the site with a fine resolution. I made a few changes, part being with setting a maximum width. If anyone experiences any display problems please speak up.

Ben
02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
So you have probably notice many more text editing option in the quick reply WYSIWYG, also in the thread editing one. Didn't like having to enter advanced mode for these text options.

Ben
03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I may have temporarily crashed the database in the process, but the Alphanex Wiki is now integrated in to the entire website searching process.

Ben
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
as requested by Del, I have added pagination links (where applicable) to the top of qualified pages as well as at the bottom.

Ben
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
added a "share" button to the top of articles to be able to share the article through many forms of social networking. Might add it to the forums too.

-K-M-
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Just a suggestion but under the reviews section, maybe there should be a link specifically for "Ultimate Universe" entries rather then place them in guest apperances as their not the standard AF.

Ben
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Or maybe generically "Alternate Universe"

-K-M-
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
That works too haha.

Le Messor
03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I like the idea of an Alternate Universe category in Guest Appearances. Ultimate could even be its own subcategory.

- Le Messor
"Gargling twice daily is a good way to see if your neck leaks."

Ben
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I added a random gallery image widget to the front page. I have it just below the users online. My only hesitation here is that it pushes the recent forum posts down, which I would think most people would want to see close to the top. Where would you folks like to see the random image widget displayed?

-K-M-
03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I really like the random gallery image, also can you add a feature for us to edit picture information? As I like to give credit to the artists of the fanart, but some I don't know right now but I eventually find them out and would like to add them.

I just uploaded a heck of a lot of really rare Alpha Flight peices. Still more to come.

Ben
03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Great stuff there KM! I just changed the rights so you can now edit information on images you have uploaded. If you know see of information in need of updating on something an other member has uploaded, post to the comments, and they or an admin can modify it.

rplass
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
On the cover gallery, what's the recommended size for the thumbnails and for the full-sized covers?

Ben
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
It generates the thumbnails for you you. As for image size, whatever you want really. It will automatically resize anything that's too huge, and for large images, it generates in inline medium linking to the large.

rplass
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
On the gallery page, how do users add new galleries? For example how do I add a "Guest appearance" gallery and then fill it with subgalleries of "Uncanny X-Men", "Contest of Champions", etc., and then fill those with images, just like we had on the old site.

Ben
03-12-2010, 10:04 PM
On the gallery page, how do users add new galleries? For example how do I add a "Guest appearance" gallery and then fill it with subgalleries of "Uncanny X-Men", "Contest of Champions", etc., and then fill those with images, just like we had on the old site.

That's something that can only be done through the admin control panel. Let me see if there is a workaround, I'll get back to you.

rplass
03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Ok my experimental attempt to add the subdirectories and a few random images was mildly successful. :) BUT I fear I have committed myself to uploading hundreds and hundreds of images, which I just won't be able to do so soon. I'll spend some time filling up the directories and after that, we'll put out a general call for assistance with getting the cover gallery populated, OK!

Love,
rplass

Ben
03-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a plan :)

Phil
03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Am getting the following;

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 18874368 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 530 bytes) in /hermes/web04/b1777/moo.benjaminlwells/gallery/image-inc.php on line 154

when bulk uploading.

Ben
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Looking at what you uploaded, I'm guessing that since your images are big, there's a limit to how much it will upload in one shot. You may try sticking to 5 at a time. I just uploaded 20 smaller images without any problem, so that's what I'm assuming is going on.

Phil
03-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Heh, I'm sticking to 2.
I may scale them down rather than have actual size covers.

rplass
03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Am getting the following;

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 18874368 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 530 bytes) in /hermes/web04/b1777/moo.benjaminlwells/gallery/image-inc.php on line 154

when bulk uploading.

Haha you broke alphaflight net! Good job, Phil!

Oh and yeah, scaling down the covers to height 800px is a good idea. What would anyone do with a "full size" cover anyway**? I experimented a little and found that the max height of 800px is optimal, otherwise the software will create a medium sized image of height 800px anyway. I did not experiment with the horizontal direction because the aspect ratio of comic covers exceeds 1.0. I'll try it again with wraparound covers and trifold covers. Ben thinks the height limit before the software re-scales to a medium image might be 900px but when I made a cover at 804 px height, all hell broke loose, bleeding walls at the police station, cats and dogs living together, no good, but at 800px height it was just fine.

I'm sticking to 800px for this reason.

Love,
rplass

**one exception is the wraparound cover to Avengers/JLA #3 which would be sweet to have at "full size" yesh!

-K-M-
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I actually had the same problem as Phil with just one image.

Ben
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
it could also be amount of data passing through over a certain period of time.

-K-M-
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Apparently I can't upload anymore pictures. Also is there a feature to delete a pic if you uploaded it? As I have found better quality ones.

Ben
03-16-2010, 05:40 AM
what do you mean you can't upload any more more? As for deleting, just upload the better one, and ask an admin to delete the old.

-K-M-
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I tried to upload different images and get the same message Phil did

Ben
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
is it still doing it?

Ben
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Ok, I think I've fixed this. Please let me know if it occurs again.

-K-M-
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Yep, seems to be working ok now.

Ben
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Add Featured Gallery images to forum home. Random images you have uploaded will display in your profile as well.

-K-M-
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Are characters like Radius, Flex, Guardian III, Manbot, etc. going to have their own subsections or should I put the images in misc?

Flightpath07
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Are characters like Radius, Flex, Guardian III, Manbot, etc. going to have their own subsections or should I put the images in misc?

I would HOPE they would have their own sections?!

BTW Ben, I have absolutely NO idea what all of these new things you are doing and fixing mean, or how they work, or what they do...but I'm impressed with your dedication and the sheer volume of time and energy you are devoting to this project!
Bravo! :-D

-K-M-
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep cuidos to DelBubs, Phil, Ben, etc. for all their hard work.

rplass
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Put them into their own subcategories. Check the subcategory list now. You should see those four.

Love,
rplass

Ben
03-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Any time you want a new category added just post a message for it and one of us will make it for you. Rplass has been good enough to step into the role of doing some admin stuff on the gallery.

Thanks Rplass.

-K-M-
03-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Dreamqueen please.

rplass
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah OK

I put up a subcategory, "Villains" which should be suitable for those images.

Love,
rplass

-K-M-
03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Added...what about Persuasion?

Ben
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Added...what about Persuasion?

Persuasion added

Phil
03-25-2010, 12:00 AM
When uploading Guest Appearance covers to the gallery, can we use the Additional Info section to list who/what appears in the issue, just to give it a more complete sense?
And possibly a "Collected as/in..." to include tpb's in the same image.

-K-M-
03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah I think that's a good idea and was actually going to suggest that.

Ben
03-25-2010, 07:25 AM
good idea

rplass
03-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Well, not such a good idea. It's triplicative in effort because this information already exists in the Appearances forum, plus someone we know maintains a blog about it, and there's also talk about setting up a database. To manually enter it AGAIN on the gallery becomes overkill.

Rather than have multiple instances of the same information for guest appearances over and over, how about that database thingy go up? That way it could be entered once and only once, then you could display it however we wish. Using the Gallery as a database seems circuitous.

Until the database is installed, Phil can set up links between the appearance forum and covers in the gallery (many of these dead links exist linked to the old cover gallery) which would be a great start, unless a decision is made to kill the Appearances Forum and replace it with the database.

Basically what I'm saying is database.

Love,
rplass

Ben
03-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Good point there rplass, I just have to figgure out how I'm gonna go about the databas. You're right though, it does mean a lot of work for redundancy.

Phil
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, not such a good idea. It's triplicative in effort because this information already exists in the Appearances forum, plus someone we know maintains a blog about it, and there's also talk about setting up a database. To manually enter it AGAIN on the gallery becomes overkill.
It would be to faze out the appearance forum section untill the database can be up and running and linked to images.
I'm not knocking your blog either as because of the day delay in shipping to this side of the world I occasionally check it out for any suprises and enjoy the descriptions and blog as a whole, but it's not integrated to the site and the site needs an appearances log if it's to be THE home for Alpha Flight fans.

Rather than have multiple instances of the same information for guest appearances over and over, how about that database thingy go up? That way it could be entered once and only once, then you could display it however we wish. Using the Gallery as a database seems circuitous.
The database was always the plan, but at the moment its a case of finding a worthy script. It's looking like coding of one from scratch, which is time and effort consuming and out of my league. And using the Gallery as a database works better than using the appearances forum as a database.

Until the database is installed, Phil can set up links between the appearance forum and covers in the gallery (many of these dead links exist linked to the old cover gallery) which would be a great start
Yet that to me, is more work than each time a new appearance cover is added to the gallery adding a brief note. When the database is up, it'll link to these gallery images so it'd be done in the end anyway.

unless a decision is made to kill the Appearances Forum and replace it with the database.
That was always the plan for full interaction and ease of information.

Basically what I'm saying is database.
To which I agree, but it's not going to happen yet.

But that's all just my thinking and reasoning.

rplass
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Ok dunno if this ever happened before... I obtained an image which was, in my opinion, a better quality image than one already uploaded. For reference it is the cover to Chaos War #4 in the Guest Appearances gallery. I uploaded the new version and unceremoniously deleted the older version which I felt was fuzzy and dark. Not sure what the etiquette ought to be for deleting an image that another user (Phil) put up... but it seems that if you really think your image is better it should be OK to delete without a formal request from the original uploader.

Love,
rplass

Le Messor
01-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Not sure what the etiquette ought to be for deleting an image that another user (Phil) put up... but it seems that if you really think your image is better it should be OK to delete without a formal request from the original uploader.

I'd suggest asking first, even just as a courtesy. Explain why you want to change it.
Note: you also used the word 'obtained' here; I know that all my images (except one) are scans I did.
Just to add to the controversy, I'm a little antsy about using other people's images. (Okay, I do it all the time on my comics review blog, but I can't upload my own pics directly there.)
(Also, I don't know what 'obtained' means here.)

- Le Messor
Wednesday: I don't want to be in the pageant.
Gary: Don't you want me to realize my vision?
Wednesday: Your work is puerile and under-dramatized. You lack any sense of structure, character, or the Aristotelian unities.
Gary: Young lady, I am getting just a tad tired of your attitude problem!

rplass
01-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah, "obtained" in this case means "I scanned my copy on my scanner myself"

Sigh. OK I'll ask first. Can't a guy just go deleting stuff anymore?? When did we get so polite around here? :)

Love,
rplass

Le Messor
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Oh. That's all right, then!

Sigh. OK I'll ask first. Can't a guy just go deleting stuff anymore?? When did we get so polite around here?

'sa Canadian thing. You don't have a lot of politeness on the Enterprise, as I remember...

OTOH, that was just my opinion - I don't speak for everybody.

Flightpath07
01-22-2011, 01:01 AM

Sigh. OK I'll ask first. Can't a guy just go deleting stuff anymore?? When did we get so polite around here? :)

Love,
rplass

I tried to delete your entire post, but failed.

DAMMIT!

lol.

Phil
01-22-2011, 05:32 AM
That explains the auto-email.
Not a problem, I wouldn't have minded either way.

rplass
05-05-2011, 11:57 PM
After posting ten preview images from volume 4 as inline attachments, I realize there isn't a gallery for preview images. I remember the previous incarnation of the site had a gallery for preview images. It would have been useful to post them in the gallery section instead of as inline attachments.

Do you think we should have a gallery for preview images like we did on the old alphaflight.net site? We already have a bunch of images for the first few issues of v4 and we are going to have a whole lot more.

Love,
rplass

Flightpath07
05-06-2011, 02:25 AM
Uh...you lost me at "do you think", Captain Kirk.

Phil
05-06-2011, 04:11 AM
You've always got your personal gallery's to use.

Ben
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I have no objections to a Preview Art section being added to the gallery

Phil
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I've added a few more galleries at the bottom.
We can change the order if people want.

Le Messor
05-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Ah, is that why it keeps telling me it's moving my covers?

- Le Messor
"Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."

Phil
05-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Ahh, I didn't realise it'd do that.
Sorry, I was having a reshuffle and tweaking and schtuff.

Le Messor
05-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Ahh, I didn't realise it'd do that.
Sorry, I was having a reshuffle and tweaking and schtuff.

Meh, not a problem. And it's only done it a couple of times, so I'm sure it hasn't been every time you've tweaked.
Tweak away, m'man, tweak away.

- Le Messor
"The Buddha sat beneath the tree
So long that it was frightening.
And when he finally let it be,
He was struck by enlightening."
~ Mark T. Shirey