PDA

View Full Version : What was your first comic book and what got you started reading Alpha Flight

Mrfurious87
07-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey every1 Im new here but Im an old Alpha Fan my name is Miles Im 23 and Im married with 2 children anyways back on topic.

Back when I was a lad of 4 I bought my first 2 comics Power Pack #10 and Marvel Encyclopedia deluxe edition #1, Me and my 2 brothers probably read thru that first issue of the Marvel encyclopedia millions of times picking out our favorites, mine just so happened to be Alpha Flight I have no idea what made me like them but I know for sure that Box was a big reason not knowing anything of the characters I imagined for hours, I thought at 1 point that puck was a norm al height person (Crazy adolescent) then I checked out my other comic and guess who was the guest star? Marrina, I was thrilled I have since lost that issue but Im probably gonna have to buy it again, well neway I was a fan of Marrina from then on a 4 year olds first crush was an alien canadian, so since then I have been collecting my back issues of Alpha, and to tell you the truth I love the series but my pet peeve is that Marrina was gone to quickly. So what got you strated on Alpha as a fan?

DelBubs
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Firstly, Welcome to the Forum.

First Marvel comic I ever bought was a collective edition of 'The Phoenix Saga' along with ' The X-Men v The Teen Titans'. I only got them because my friend took me into the shop to pick up his comics. Alpha Flight #6 had just come out, but I didn't really pay it much attention. A few months later I went back and decided I was going to collect something for myself and given that my friend collected just about everything I thought I'd try something new. Alpha #10 had just come out, so I picked it up and all the back issues to #2, I had to get #1 ordered in. Since then I've picked up all the series and most appearences, hanging on to the thin hope that they will be returned to their former glory.

Ahab
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
The first comic that I can remember was Fantastic Four when they met the Salem Seven for the first time. (I am dating myself by admitting this.) My first Alpha comic was the infamous #12. I was blown away that the leader of the group was killed off. It made me want to read more.
BTW - I was immediately curious about Marrina as well when I first saw the advertisement of Alpha Flight #12 within the Fantastic Four that I was reading. She continues to be one of my favorite Alphans.

rplass
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Welcome to Alpha Flight Forum MrFurious87! The first comic I ever had was Fantastic Four #268.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/21962-2045-24503-1-fantastic-four_super.jpg

My mother, who was a schoolteacher, confiscated a copy of this comic from one of her students in 1984. She gave it to me to read and when I saw the ad near the end soliciting Alpha Flight #12, I couldn't stop staring at the picture. Who were those heroes? They looked so tough, so beautiful and confident, so varied and interesting. Amazing. The very next day my friend and I rode our bicycles to the local Comic Book Store where we procured Alpha Flights #1-12 and since then, I have been in love with the greatest team of super-heroes the world has ever known.

Alpha Rider
07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
My first one as I can remember at best was Marvel Team Up 15 vol I.

Mrfurious87
07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I always loved Marvel team-up my favorite has to be annual #7 Im a bit biased though :P

Alpha Rider
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I wished AF made more guess apperances in other issues other than X-Men and Avengers. It would have been cool (for me at lest) to have had the Danny Ketch Ghost Rider join Omega Flight, and havd the Johnny Blaze in his own book.

Mrfurious87
07-10-2010, 03:13 AM
ya that was the problem with most writers of Alpha flight always leaving them in canada Alpha would of sold better if they kept the idea of byrne with like 1-3 members an issue that way you could get some good plots such as Northstar and aurora with the X-men have Sasquatch and the like would've been awesome to see an issue with ketch in it though I woulda liked to see a 3 issue saga of puck and wolverine teaming up

rplass
07-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Oh there was a three-issue saga with Wolverine. Check out issues #35, 36, and 37 from Wolverine circa 1991 or so.

Love,
rplass

Mrfurious87
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
oh really I just might have to check that out thx :)

Muerman
09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
The first comic I ever bought was Uncanny X-Men #308. I had originally bought for my cousin who collected comics and then shamelessly kept it for myself after I had read and loved it! What drew me to it was that it was an issue that was devoted to the lives of the X-Men behind the scenes and not just battling. It also covered a lot of history since it's the issue where Scott Summers and Jean Grey announce their engagement before the big wedding in X-Men #30.

http://www.comicmegastore.com/images/uncanny-x-men-1981/the-uncanny-x-men-comic-308.jpg

My first encounter with Alpha Flight was through the X-Men animated cartoon, but as soon as I saw Alpha Flight I was in love and started collecting whatever I could get my hands on. I think the first comic was Alpha Flight #40 which I happened to get in a comic variety pack.

Sypes
09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I can't recall what my first comic was, but I remember having a lot of Archie's comics at home and some Transformers too.

Alpha Flight was definitely when they were part of X-men cartoons. I hadn't given them much thoughts until I saw an articles about Canadian SuperHeroes and remembered them instantly! Been in love since :)

Sasquatch17
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Marvel Two In One...Thing & Sasquatch followed by Thing & Alpha Flight

Flightpath07
09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
My first superhero comic book I ever read (cuz I couldn't possibly tell you about all the Archie and Richie Rich comics i read) was an old issue of Defenders, where they were fighting the Avengers; sorry, no idea on the issue number. It made me love the Defenders, which was the first team i fell in love with. For years after that, I thought that all the Avengers and Defenders did was fight each other, lol.

I am not sure what was the first comic I owned - too long ago to remember.

The first Alpha Flight i bought was issue 14.

I had a friend who collected Alpha Flight and X-Men comics. First he got me into X-Men (the Brood storyline hooked me on them for quite a while), and when i first saw the cover of AF 12 I knew I had to read and find out what this team was about.

Boy, those are some classic comic moments - Avengers vs Defenders ; the Brood vs the X-Men ; and John Byrne vs Guardian (lol).

Mokole
09-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I guess my grandma had early Hulk and Spider-man comics, but the first one I ever bought was Alpha Flight 128.

DIGGER
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Man do I feel old! I think my first comic was Star Wars #12. Or maybe it was Spidey Super Stories (which was put out in conjunction with The Electric Company)...perfect reading for a 7 year old. I caught the Flight bug with issue #1 (bought two copies). And have had a love/hate relationship with the writers and artists from the series ever since.

DIGGER

cmdrkoenig67
09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't exactly recall my first comic, but my dad used to bring Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf By Night comics home (after he finished work for the day) to me back in the early 70's, because he knew I liked monsters.

Dana

Tawmis
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
First comics I read were all MARVEL.

I think my VERY first comic was a gift from my sister, which was AVENGERS #66. First appearance of adamantium, and my favorite version - to this very day - of Ultron. Ultron-6! My friend whom I met in the 4th grade would later give me two comics - Avengers #159 (like the second appearance of Graviton) and Uncanny X-Men #121 (first full Alpha Flight). My friend had given me both issues. I fell in love with Avengers because there's a scene where Graviton has all the Avengers against the wall; and it looked so amazing. Fell in love with X-Men because the dynamic outfits - especially from Alpha Flight! However, by this time, these comics were already a few years old, so the first one I bought for myself a few months later and actually BEGAN collecting was UNCANNY X-MEN #149 and THOR #320. I began collecting these two titles religiously. Had found them both in a used book store my father had gone to (The Book Rack) in San Diego, where things were just in a disheveled order (I had no idea what was new or wasn't - I'd just have to dig through boxes of comics)... I later found AVENGERS #211, and began collecting that religiously. The Book Rack eventually realized comics were a lucrative business and organized their comics. By then, I had however, found a close comic book store, where I had a "pull list" already created and had become a full fledged Marvel fan.

My love from ALPHA FLIGHT came from Uncanny X-Men #121. I wanted to know more about them. I think the characters were defined more in that single issue than some comics take years to define.

Adam NY
12-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Alpha Flight 28. My friend was a fan of the New Mutants. Unlike the Uncanny X-Men or Spiderman, both AF and NM were relatively "young" books at the time. I did not want to copy my friend, but I did want to own every copy of my team's book. As a teen then, I purchased all the back issues of AF as quickly as my meager funds allowed, probably several months. And then purchased every copy of AF Volume 1! I got into the "X" titles, too, but Alpha was always my favorite.

suzene
12-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Wolverine #81. I didn't much care about Wolverine, but I fell hard for Nightcrawler, so I started collecting X-Men and Excalibur, eventually read Alpha Flight/X-Men: The Gift, shipped Northstar/Rogue like wow, found out some pertinent information that caused that OTP to crash and burn (but still liked Northstar), and then started reading Alpha Flight. I guess it's telling that I didn't really care when Nightcrawler died, but I will still defend Northstar against all comers. ;)

Le Messor
12-11-2010, 02:22 AM
I didn't care when Nightcrawler died, but not because I don't care about the character. I'm just waiting for his next appearance. Should be, what, a couple of months away?

- Le Messor
"I danced before Napoleon. No, Napoleon danced before me - in fact, he danced two hundred years before me."
~ Groucho in Duck Soup

Ahab
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I didn't care when Nightcrawler died, but not because I don't care about the character. I'm just waiting for his next appearance. Should be, what, a couple of months away?

- Le Messor
"I danced before Napoleon. No, Napoleon danced before me - in fact, he danced two hundred years before me."
~ Groucho in Duck Soup

If they can save Wolverine from Hell, who wants to place bets that someone will write a "controversial" storyline where Nightcrawler is brought back (or "rescued"?) from Heaven?

Tawmis
12-11-2010, 04:38 PM
If they can save Wolverine from Hell, who wants to place bets that someone will write a "controversial" storyline where Nightcrawler is brought back (or "rescued"?) from Heaven?

Given how Nightcrawler died, and the lameness of the story - I would welcome his resurrection. An interesting possibility (though I hated it on the show I am about to mention) - is perhaps do what they did with BUFFY where they brought her back from "Heaven" - and she wasn't happy. It'd be interesting if a religious character like Nightcrawler was somehow brought back (certainly the after shocks of Chaos War is leaving this door open for Marvel, sort of like what they did in DC, I believe not too long ago with dead coming back?) - and see how Nightcrawler would be like...

Admittedly, I don't want an angsty Nightcrawler. I actually want my fun loving, flirty, swash buckling, fun Nightcrawler back.

Le Messor
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
is perhaps do what they did with BUFFY where they brought her back from "Heaven" - and she wasn't happy.

Careful... last time that came up we went all OT and had to start a new thread...

Admittedly, I don't want an angsty Nightcrawler. I actually want my fun loving, flirty, swash buckling, fun Nightcrawler back.

I suggest investing in a time machine.

- Le Messor
"I am a communist because I believe that the Communist idea is a state form of Christianity."
~ Alexander Zhuravlyov

suzene
12-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I suggest investing in a time machine.

Online RPGs are less expensive.

Le Messor
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
... but have less potential for profit.

Tawmis
12-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Online RPGs are less expensive.

Are there even any left?

suzene
12-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Are there even any left?

Online X-Men/Marvel RPGs? Tons on Livejournal, Dreamwidth, and even on Tumblr.

Le Messor
12-12-2010, 02:44 AM
I hear WOW has recently upgraded...
http://www.dorktower.com/2010/12/08/dork-tower-wednesday-december-8-2010/

Ahab
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I hear WOW has recently upgraded...
http://www.dorktower.com/2010/12/08/dork-tower-wednesday-december-8-2010/

You guys are SO seriously off topic! :p

The first comic I remember getting was Fantastic Four something or other where they fought the Salem Seven for the first time. That was such a great comic at the time. It got me really becoming a fan of the FF - which got me hooked on AF when I saw the add for #12 in the back of the FF issue. I had no idea who these people were but that had was so eyecatching, I HAD to buy the comic to see who would die! My older brother and I even bet on who it would be - and we both got it wrong!

Reksuh
12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I can't really remember my first comic. My parents used to read to me before bed when I was little (this included everything, even comics!)
One of the first comics that really stuck in my memory though (and was probably one of the firsts) was DC Comics Presents #25. It was such a weird story with Phantom Stranger, Superman, and hell. I also really liked the Hourman back-up. I had the coverless copy for the longest time.

Alpha Flight was just a random purchase at 7-11 (in hindsight it was definitely because of John Byrne. I LOVED his FF, and was probably subconsciously drawn to the artwork). I think my first issue was #27. I was instantly hooked. I think I had most of the back issues before #28 was released.

humanracin
12-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I used to read Hulk comics as a child for the pretty green pictures lol

But the first comic that I bought as a teenager that changed everything was Uncanny X-men 170, the whole Morlock story along with Paul Smith's amazing artwork got me hooked so I went back and read the whole Phoenix saga as back issues. Jean remains my favourite comic character of all time to this day!

The first time I bought Alpha Flight was issue 2, it was the character Marrina that drew my attention to the comic, and she remains my favourite Alpha character to this day which is why I was ecstatic that she was included in the line up in Chaos War, the Aurora cover of issue 3 sealed it and Alpha became one of my 3 favorite comic books of all time: X-Men, Alpha Flight and New Mutants.

Ahab
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
The first time I bought Alpha Flight was issue 2, it was the character Marrina that drew my attention to the comic, and she remains my favourite Alpha character to this day which is why I was ecstatic that she was included in the line up in Chaos War...

Nice to meet a fellow Marrinite!
Welcome, my friend!

Le Messor
12-13-2010, 03:44 AM
I used to read Hulk comics as a child for the pretty green pictures lol
The first time I bought Alpha Flight was issue 2, it was the character Marrina that drew my attention to the comic

I'm detecting a pattern...