PDA

View Full Version : support thread at CBR

kozzi24
09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
worthy cause, unworthy proponent

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=11812898&posted=1#post11812898

Flightpath07
09-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I try ta stays away from arguing with people about those sorts of things. But, if you wanna, more power to ya. For me, I gots enuff on my plate, and only so many hours in the day, so i's gots ta prioritize.

suzene
09-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Excellent (and eloquent) defense of the team, Kozzi. Personally, CBR is second only to the Pit of Voles for places where I'd sooner suffer physical injury than post. ;)

Flightpath07
09-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Every checked out the JB Forum, suzene? I have scrolled through its hallowed halls before. Even though I am a JB fan, the amount of bootlicking that goes on there sends a shudder down my spine...

suzene
09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Every checked out the JB Forum, suzene? I have scrolled through its hallowed halls before. Even though I am a JB fan, the amount of bootlicking that goes on there sends a shudder down my spine...

True, but at least the lack of spellcheck doesn't make me want to run screaming into the night. ;)

cmdrkoenig67
09-01-2010, 02:12 AM

Indeed...I post there on occassion, but only if something interests me...I'm a fan of John's work too, but I get very uncomfortable with the way some of his fans there act. I get the impression some of them are afraid to have a differing opinion than that of Mr Byrne...Many of them end up sounding like yes men.

Dana

Flightpath07
09-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Indeed...I post there on occassion, but only if something interests me...I'm a fan of John's work too, but I get very uncomfortable with the way some of his fans there act. I get the impression some of them are afraid to have a differing opinion than that of Mr Byrne...Many of them end up sounding like yes men.

Dana
Yes, I agree. Er...well, I do; sorry?

Le Messor
09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I always wrote that off to the aggressive but insecure ego type. He knows damn well it's his best work or second only to his FF run. By saying he thought it sucked, that the characters were weak, that they made him do it, he's getting more reassuring hugs at how great he is.

Have you ever posted that here? 'coz I like it.

the amount of bootlicking that goes on there sends a shudder down my spine...

Great, now my body's aching all the time.

I have several reasons I don't go to Byrne's forum, and I can believe that people are afraid to disagree with him.

- Le Messor
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
~ Sir William Drummond

cmdrkoenig67
09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I've had a couple "spats" with him (Mr Byrne), myself...I usually speak my mind and kowtow to nobody. It's gotten me in trouble at my most recent employer a couple of times...Well, that was before the lay-offs...LOL!

Dana

Ahab
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
This guy doesn't know when to just stop fighting back - he is sabotaging what he set out to do with his own behavior.

Le Messor
09-02-2010, 06:36 AM
People on forums do that.

Doesn't one of us have an appropriate sig?

- Le Messor
"I used to be on the Anne McCaffrey forum, but every thread got flamed."

DIGGER
09-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I personally would like to think (possibly with rose colored glasses) that Byrne feels his run on Alpha wasn't so good because he is a humble yet very talented person who figured that what he came up with could not possibly compare to what others (see Stan Lee) had done before. The last thing I like to hear from any kind of artist is "man I am good". Humility can sometimes be seen as the need for ego stroking but I think in this case it is a sense of inadequacy that he doesn't match up. Again, this could all be seen through rose colored glasses but maybe not.

Humbly yours,

DIGGER

Ahab
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
People on forums do that.

- Le Messor
"I used to be on the Anne McCaffrey forum, but every thread got flamed."

What the heck is THAT supposed to mean? Do you have a problem with my sig? I KNEW it, Messor! What a donkey's a$$ you can be! Now just focus on the topic, please!!!

;)

DIGGER
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Le Messor;7468]

I thought smoking was no longer fashionable.

DIGGER

Flightpath07
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
[quote=le messor;7468]

doesn't one of us have an appropriate sig?

I thought smoking was no longer fashionable.

Digger

](*,)

Le Messor
09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
What the heck is THAT supposed to mean? Do you have a problem with my sig? I KNEW it, Messor! What a donkey's a$$ you can be! Now just focus on the topic, please!!!;)

Um, Ahab, I see the smiley, but I'm not sure how funny --

Oh, I get it. #-o8-[
:o

(Yeah, my mind really just went through all that.)

- Le Messor
"Heaven and hell is right here, right now... You make it heaven or you make it hell by your actions."
~ George Harrison

Ahab
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I hoped you would realize it was my poor impression of the guy at CBR and not take it seriously...

Le Messor
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I got there in the end.

kozzi24
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I try ta stays away from arguing with people about those sorts of things. But, if you wanna, more power to ya. For me, I gots enuff on my plate, and only so many hours in the day, so i's gots ta prioritize.

Inever go past a second post that is counterproductive arguing.
I lurk on a number of different forums, but participate in few. This is the only one on which I am a "regular."

kozzi24
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Have you ever posted that here? 'coz I like it.

Probably in one form or another over the years.

kozzi24
09-05-2010, 11:40 PM
This guy doesn't know when to just stop fighting back - he is sabotaging what he set out to do with his own behavior.

I was trying to point that out to HELP him. Some people just don't get it.

Ahab
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I was trying to point that out to HELP him. Some people just don't get it.

Yes, he clearly was not getting your intent. I have a lot of respect for how you handled his responses. You remained composed despite his shenanigans...

Flightpath07
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
"Shenanigans" - what a great word. Would make a good "crazy supervillain" name, would it not?

Ahab
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
"Shenanigans" - what a great word. Would make a good "crazy supervillain" name, would it not?

I love using that word. It amuses me for some reason.

kozzi24
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I love using that word. It amuses me for some reason.
A lot of those Irish words just sound fun.

Flightpath07
09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Slainte m'hath, slainte m'hor!

MistressMerr
09-09-2010, 02:27 AM
A lot of those Irish words just sound fun.
I... don't think I knew that word was Irish in origin. I learned something today! XD

Flightpath07
09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
From WorldWideWords.org ...

SHENANIGAN
Trickery, underhand action, intrigue, skulduggery.

You’ll most commonly encounter this word in the plural. It seems to have originated in California at about the time of the Gold Rush, though it was first recorded in print only in 1855. In the years since, it has been spelt in about a dozen different ways, though recent dictionaries have settled on the version above. Where it comes from is still a matter of substantial dispute; the first five dictionaries I consulted gave four different origins (Oxford Dictionaries — as so often — opting for the ultra-cautious “origin unknown”). The word looks Irish, and there was no shortage of Irishmen in the California diggings, so it’s plausible to suggest the Irish word sionnachuighm as the source, meaning ‘I play tricks’, which is pronounced roughly as ‘shinnuckeem’. Others argue it comes from an East Anglian dialect word nannicking for playing the fool. Yet others guess at a link with the Spanish word chanada for a trick or deceit, which is another half-way plausible source, considering California’s history. Yet another theory was put forward in 1948 in American Speech for an origin in German schinnagel for a nail that holds the rim to the wheel, which produced the German slang terms schinageln, to work, and Schenigelei, a trick. As the man behind the market stall said, you pays your money and you takes your choice ...

Le Messor
09-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Slainte m'hath, slainte m'hor!

What are you talking about? My mother's a saint!

Flightpath07
09-12-2010, 06:14 AM
"Slainte m'hath, slainte m'hor!" = "Good health, great health."

A traditional Irish toast (I can sense the Wonderbread jokes already!), best served over a glass of whisky.

And, yes, I DO know how to pronounce it. One of the few Gaelic phrases I can pronounce...

LM - good joke. I'll leave your ma alone; for putting up with you, she HAD to be a saint! :)

Le Messor
09-12-2010, 07:56 AM
LM - I'll leave your ma alone; for putting up with you, she HAD to be a saint!

Why do people keep saying that? :-k

- LM
"Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the centre."