PDA

View Full Version : CHAOS WAR: DEAD AVENGERS #1 (of 3) - SPOILERS WITHIN!

Tawmis
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

CHAOS WAR: DEAD AVENGERS #1 (of 3)
First, let's talk about the art. OHMYFRAKINGTHOR! The art in this comic is beautiful. I forgot to see who it was (and I am currently at work so I can't check) - but the art is smooth, solid, well drawn! I mean, I _really_ like the art! So that already has my attention.

The story? It's pretty freaking awesome! The reason they're there makes sense (well so far with what's been revealed). And on the "team" we have: VISION, SWORDSMAN, YELLOWJACKET (the female), CAPTAIN MARVEL, DEATHCRY, and DR. DRUID.

So... not only do I get to read about SWORDSMAN again - and SWORDSMAN written well - but I also get to read about Deathcry (come on, she's Shi'ar, how am I not going to like her?). While Deathcry is written as some battle savage (which is how she ORIGINALLY was, but she grew considerably during her time on Avengers, so this is a bit of a revert for her - but I don't mind). The story is solid. The art is solid. The characters are solid.

If you did not pick this up - run back now and grab a copy off the shelf. You WANT to read this.

mos_def
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
agreed. Swordsman has the heart of an Avenger. I thought Druid was written well too. Good buy

Tawmis
11-22-2010, 11:45 PM
agreed. Swordsman has the heart of an Avenger. I thought Druid was written well too. Good buy

Agreed. Dr. Druid was... Dr. Druid. As he has always been!
Swordsman though was the one that REALLY shines in this first issue.

cmdrkoenig67
11-23-2010, 01:24 AM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!

So, I guess Janet/Wasp didn't come back from the "dead"?

Dana

Tawmis
11-23-2010, 11:58 AM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!

So, I guess Janet/Wasp didn't come back from the "dead"?

Dana

Nay. I am surprised... But I think it's because they used the female Yellowjacket. I don't know that any of them will be "back from the dead" since they're not really walking around on Earth. They're in a dimension between dream and death, where everyone on Earth currently is, since Chaos King killed Nightmare, who ruled (I didn't know this?) the Dream Realm, plunging everyone into a "coma" state that traps them between dreams/nightmares/death.

Sasquatch17
11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I liked Deathcry!

Tawmis
11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I liked Deathcry!

Previously? Or in this comic? Or both?

I was a Deathcry fan too... but mostly because she had ties to the Shi'ar which I have some weird obsession with.

Sasquatch17
11-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I liked her when she first appeared in Avengers.

Young girl alien with a Wolverine like attitude.

Tawmis
11-25-2010, 02:02 AM
I liked her when she first appeared in Avengers.

Young girl alien with a Wolverine like attitude.

You should pick up CHAOS WAR: DEAD AVENGERS then. Because the first issue has her as that savage attitude again.

cmdrkoenig67
11-25-2010, 02:36 AM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!

She seemed to have that savage warrior attitude in Annihilation: Star Lord too. So much, in fact that she lost herself to bloodlust and tried to kill Captain Universe and then he accidentally blasted her to bits.

Dana

Sasquatch17
11-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks...I'll give it a look!

mos_def
11-25-2010, 07:12 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I dont think Wasp is really dead. What was left of her body was left on the pocket dimension which the Avengers were hiding in. Its the reason Jocasta freaked on Hank

Flightpath07
12-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I like dissue one of Dead Avengers. Don't know if I'll pick up the rest, but it was truly well written. Good characters. Interesting story. It was everything I wish Marvel had been over the last few years...

Phil
12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I haven't read the issue, but I'm slightly confused as to the use of Vision given his Young Avengers self.
Is this addressed at all?

Loki
12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I haven't read the issue, but I'm slightly confused as to the use of Vision given his Young Avengers self.
Is this addressed at all?
There's nothing to be confused about. The Young Avengers Vision was created using Iron Lad's malleable armor and some of the Avenger's Vision's programming, but he's a separate entity - think of Mac and his younger clone. Both look alike and share some memories, but they aren't the same person.

Phil
12-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Thank you kindly :D

cmdrkoenig67
12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
There's nothing to be confused about. The Young Avengers Vision was created using Iron Lad's malleable armor and some of the Avenger's Vision's programming, but he's a separate entity - think of Mac and his younger clone. Both look alike and share some memories, but they aren't the same person.

Yeah, the original (Silver Age) Vision died...In some ways the new one is his resurrection, but also a new version.

Dana

Flightpath07
12-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Speaking of which - where exactly IS Mac's younger clone? I seem to have lost track of it somewhere...

DelBubs
12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I was more than pleased to see The one and only Captain Marvel. His demise in the graphic novel still gets dragged out and read frequently.

mos_def
12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Speaking of which - where exactly IS Mac's younger clone? I seem to have lost track of it somewhere...

He died in Wolverine. He sacrificed himself to get Alpha FLight out when AIM and Garrison Kane kidnapped the team.

Flightpath07
12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
He died in Wolverine. He sacrificed himself to get Alpha FLight out when AIM and Garrison Kane kidnapped the team.

Really? Any idea what issue and/or cover date this was? Would like to pick it up and give 'er a read sometime.

Legerd
12-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Really? Any idea what issue and/or cover date this was? Would like to pick it up and give 'er a read sometime.
It was in Wolverine Vol. 1 #142 & 143 from October 1999, with young Mac dying in the latter issue. This was also the arc where Snowbird comes back from the dead.

Flightpath07
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
It was in Wolverine Vol. 1 #142 & 143 from October 1999, with young Mac dying in the latter issue. This was also the arc where Snowbird comes back from the dead.

Thank you! I'll have to keep that in mind, and find those issues online sometime soon.

Tawmis
01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I like dissue one of Dead Avengers. Don't know if I'll pick up the rest, but it was truly well written. Good characters. Interesting story. It was everything I wish Marvel had been over the last few years...

I couldn't agree more.

Anyone pick up the second issue?

Flightpath07
01-15-2011, 03:24 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Anyone pick up the second issue?

me! i did!

I liked it. More great writing, more great characters, showed little bits of their back-stories to help those who don't know them figure out who they are. The characters work well together; not sure if that is just the characters, or the writers, but either way i am liking it!

I'm also enjoying Thunderstrike.

sigh... i hate Marvel, for putting out some good stories right now, when i swore I wouldn't buy anything by them until they had a new Alpha ongoing...

cmdrkoenig67
01-16-2011, 02:49 PM
So how did this mini end (I think the last issue came out recently)? Did the characters go back to being dead?

Dana

Flightpath07
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
So how did this mini end (I think the last issue came out recently)? Did the characters go back to being dead?

Dana

Don't know. May have to wander down to my local shop in the next few days and see if I can find the issue.

-K-M-
01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Most of the Dead Avengers "died" again. They saved the sleeping Avengers, but suffered pretty big loses.

Well not sure how their death works as it would seem they would just pop up again seeing the afterlife is open *shrugs*

Flightpath07
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
"Most"? Who survived?

-K-M-
01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Yellowjacket
Swordsman

Possibly Deathcry/Lifecry

Flightpath07
01-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Huh. Shoulda kept Doctor Druid around. Oh well.

-K-M-
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Well the afterlife is still "open" so he might pop up again *shrugs*

Flightpath07
01-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Well the afterlife is still "open" so he might pop up again *shrugs*

If the afterlife is "open", wouldn't that mean that anybody who is dead can now be alive? Couldn't Genghis Khan, Hitler, and Jeffrey Dahmer all be walking around the Marvel U right now together?

-K-M-
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Potentially yes.

Tawmis
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Well with Dead Avengers #3... I... am curious where they go with it... since... that was the final issue...

-K-M-
01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
hmmmm....."..but I got two awake dead avengers and a"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/d1a8948i7565/prv7565_pg3.jpg

I guess another avenger survived unless she is refering to herself or possibly Lifecry.

Tawmis
01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
hmmmm....."..but I got two awake dead avengers and a"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/d1a8948i7565/prv7565_pg3.jpg

I guess another avenger survived unless she is refering to herself or possibly Lifecry.

Where is that link from?

-K-M-
01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Where is that link from?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=7565&disp=table

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Okay - so we know that Yellowjacket and Swordsman survived Chaos War, just like Alpha Flight. Anyone know where they plan to pop up? Anyone know if Deathcry/Lifecry also survived?

Phil
02-16-2011, 08:01 AM
They survived the Dead Avengers series, but not Chaos War #5, so they're still dead I'm afraid.

Flightpath07
02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Only in comics could you have survived and be still dead all in the same sentence.

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
They survived the Dead Avengers series, but not Chaos War #5, so they're still dead I'm afraid.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=7565&disp=table

Isn't this indication they're alive? And broke through the barrier?

Phil
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
No, because that was before Herc 'destroyed' the Chaos King and restored everything to how it should be.

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
No, because that was before Herc 'destroyed' the Chaos King and restored everything to how it should be.

Yes, but clearly not everything. Because Alpha Flight survived. Do we see Yellowjacket and Swordsmen go back? It seems to me that those that crossed the barrier may have survived?

Phil
02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
It was alluded to that it was a combination of Shaman keeping their spirits anchored to the earth (paraphrasing) and Walter's deal with the Great Beasts that kept Alpha Flight alive, rather than crossing the barrier.
Yellowjacket & Swordman weren't there at the end when everyone else woke up.

Van Lente's confirmed that it was just the 4 Alphans that made it back alive.

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 04:49 PM
It was alluded to that it was a combination of Shaman keeping their spirits anchored to the earth (paraphrasing) and Walter's deal with the Great Beasts that kept Alpha Flight alive, rather than crossing the barrier.
Yellowjacket & Swordman weren't there at the end when everyone else woke up.

I however, disagree. Because, Yellowjacket and Swordsman seem to break through the barrier; and what would be the point of bringing them back in Chaos War #5, if something wasn't going to be done with them?

Even in the Alpha Flight interview just recently - said that a mortal Herc tried to put it back together. So there's no doubt that he missed things. For example, people on the living side of Earth may have easily survived.

I just can't see why they wouldn't have just died in Dead Avengers, like the X-Men did in Dead X-Men - there'd be no point in bringing them into Chaos War #5 on the "living side" if something wasn't going to be done with them?

Phil
02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Fairplay mate, there's always room for a future writer to say it happened off-panel.

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Fairplay mate, there's always room for a future writer to say it happened off-panel.

I am just curious is all. I think it's interesting that my impression was that they lived. And yet your impression is they died again. So I actually went around on several different forums and eGroups and proposed the question. I am curious to see how others see it! :)

Flightpath07
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM

I have read several interviews, all of which said that the only deaders that came back for good were the four Alphans.

Sorry Tawmis.

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I have read several interviews, all of which said that the only deaders that came back for good were the four Alphans.

Sorry Tawmis.

Interesting. So I wonder why they even had them in Chaos War #5...

Flightpath07
02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Fan interest may cause them to come back at some point, who knows?

-K-M-
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah FVL actually wanted to bring Swordsman back for good, but was vetoed out. So yeah their back to the land of the dead

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Fan interest may cause them to come back at some point, who knows?

With how well they wrote Swordsman, I wouldn't be surprised. I still think they have something up their sleeve.

Yellowjacket's return is a bit of a surprise. Probably because no one is currently using the Yellowjacket guise... I would have thought if any of the "Hank Pym" alternate people wearing his guises... they would have brought back Scott Lang/Ant-Man, who I think was more popular...

But I... I just have a feeling we'll at least be seeing Swordsman ... much sooner than we think. :)

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah FVL actually wanted to bring Swordsman back for good, but was vetoed out. So yeah their back to the land of the dead

Interesting. They certainly put a lot of work into Swordsman...

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM

You don't happen to go by the name of Spectrum on Marvel.com do you? Almost exactly what he said:

http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/27020437/Chaos_War:_Dead_Avengers__Chaos_War_5.&post_num=2#486168997

-K-M-
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
You don't happen to go by the name of Spectrum on Marvel.com do you? Almost exactly what he said:

http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/27020437/Chaos_War:_Dead_Avengers__Chaos_War_5.&post_num=2#486168997

Nope, don't have an account there

Tawmis
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM
It's funny because you both said "veto"... not a common word to use, really, in every day lingo. :-)