PDA

View Full Version : First Class movie

Flightpath07
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/01/19/x-menfirst-class-three-exclusive-photos-and-a-report-from-the-stressed-out-set/

Wow, an X movie with no Wolverine in it...that actually excites me! I look forward to this one...

Flightpath07
01-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Also,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/

and

http://www.superherostuff.com/blog/movies/x-men-first-class-classy-or-just-trashy/

MistressMerr
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I have so many feelings about this thing I don't even know where to start.

Two words: Hot. Mess.

Flightpath07
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Well, movies never follow continuity anyways. I view this as more of a re-launch than anything. Definitely closer to an Ultimates version than 616. I like not using the same old established characters, I think that is a good thing. And setting it in the 60's...wow!

Like I said, I look forward to it (whereas I didn't say that about anything else Marvel, except the first X-Men movie and the first Ironman movie). In the end, as individuals we will either like the product, or not; we shall see.

cmdrkoenig67
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree with MM...The X-films have become sooooo bad and this one looks just as bad...Not to mention the various re-shoots they're still doing, signal major problems. Director Vaughn has said this is a reboot (a "soft" reboot, but a reboot none-the-less)...It's ignoring much of the continuity of the other x-films, which (to me) doesn't make much sense, since they are still calling it a prequel.

I echo MM...Hot.Mess.

Dana

Flightpath07
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I think its gutsy. It may fail, big-time...but i would call the trilogy a major fail as well, as despite the numbers who saw/bought them I think they all sucked hard after the first one.

suzene
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Meh. I refuse to contribute money to any project that's rewarding Chuck Austen for the Draco arc. Ugh.

Le Messor
01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Hmm... from left to right: Ron, Sirius?, don't know, Hermione? Then Harry? Where's his scar? Snape looks *young*, then Draco!

IMDb: that's the first I've seen of Magneto's helmet, and it works for me. The helmet. Not saying about the rest...
EDIT: Oh, he's wearing a classic original X-Men uniform. Yay! Should've recognised it, but I wasn't looking for it on Magneto.

The thing that's made me excited about this project from the beginning is that Bryan Singer seems to be pretty solidly involved in it, and I love his X-Men movies.

Definitely closer to an Ultimates version than 616.

... Aaand, that's the first thing I've heard that stops me wanting to see it.
Oh, and it's the Kick-*** director... Din't realise that...
Hope... fading...

The X-films have become sooooo bad and this one looks just as bad...

Hey! X-Men 3 is my favourite movie, like, ever!

... Uh, not the version you may've seen in theatres. The version that plays in my head when people start talking about economics around me. That's much better.

Not to mention the various re-shoots they're still doing, signal major problems.

Every movie does re-shoots; it's a standard thing. Or are these particularly extensive?
Wait, I didn't even realise the prinicipal photography was over?

they are still calling it a prequel.

Are they? I thought it was a reboot?

- Le Messor
"Reboot: To repeatedly kick a computer until it starts workwing again."
- Rogue's Thesaurus of Computing Termshttp://www.alphaflight.net/images/misc/pencil.png

Tawmis
01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
First, I am excited that Havok is in it.

But - I echo the others. I am VERY dubious about this. Especially have Azazeal (or whatever) in it. WHY? WHY GOD WHY?!?!??

Flightpath07
01-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Especially have Azazeal (or whatever) in it. WHY? WHY GOD WHY?!?!??

Because Stilt-Man isn't a mutant, and besides he is busy getting his own series (as leader of the new Canadian Avengers, with She-Hulk, Michael Pointer, and Spiderwoman).
:roll:

Le Messor
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Because Stilt-Man isn't a mutant,

Have you seen the other movies? All they need to do is say he is a mutant!
(Like Deathstrike, or Juggernaut. Tho' he was only implied.)
:roll:

- Le Messor
"I drank WHAT?"
~ Socrates

suzene
01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a299609/vaughn-x-men-will-appeal-to-twilight-fans.html

X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn has said that his superhero prequel will appeal to fans of the Twilight series.

The movie, due for release this June, charts the early friendship between mutants Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender).

"It’s got a lot of teenage angst. The Twilight girls will like it," Vaughn told Entertainment Weekly.I now have negative interest in seeing this movie. I'm going to have to go watch better movies just to get back up to where I don't give a damn about this one.

cmdrkoenig67
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
OMG...When does the horror end?

LOL @ Suzene's comment.

Dana

-K-M-
01-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Kevin Bacon is Sebastian Shaw, and its the swinging 60's
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/114030-more-x-men-first-class-photos

Magneto with helmet
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/114051-vaughn-says-x-men-first-class-promo-image-was-not-approved

Group shot
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/114018-hi-res-versions-of-the-x-men-first-class-image

Flightpath07
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
“This isn’t a reboot, so I’m not replacing anyone, in which case you might want to try to be as different as possible and stay away from what had been done before,” McAvoy said on Monday during a break from a rescue scene that required water-tank work. “This is a prequel, so I’m the same character, just younger, but the challenge for me – and for Michael — is to show the same person in a different place in their life; to show someone before they’re this bad guy, before they’re this saint. Charles wasn’t always a … monk, this selfless, sexless monk that he becomes.”

The plot of this film is still under wraps, but it presents a world where superpowered mutants are living in secret and don’t face the public scrutiny and prejudice that are central themes in the earlier films, which are primarily set in the modern day. The friendship of future foes Xavier and Lehnsherr is the heart of the film — Singer says the two have a common cause and different approaches and he even used the life trajectories of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X as a sort of shorthand for their veering paths.

for producer Bryan Singer, the challenge is to recapture the affection of comic-book movie fans

I think they have the right idea. And some great characters to work with. I say we let them finish it, then view it for ourselves, before we punch a hole in its hull and sink it.

Like I said, it sounds interesting, and promising. But the proof is in the pudding (and the file is in the cake, and the cheque is in the mail).

As far as "teenage angst", remember that producer Bryan Singer did "Superman Returns". For as slow-paced and adulty (artsy?) a movie as that one was, it did highlight a lot of character development, something that we here are always clamouring for...

Flightpath07
01-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Mik, Juggernaut was only implied!?!?!

Does this mean he may not be real, or alive, or even exist at all?

MistressMerr
01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I think they have the right idea. And some great characters to work with. I say we let them finish it, then view it for ourselves, before we punch a hole in its hull and sink it.
The last time I held this attitude of optimism in spite of all signs pointing to the movie being garbage, X-Men: The Last Stand happened. I'm not getting burned again.

Le Messor
01-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Mik, Juggernaut was only implied!?!?!

If only! Then we could've skipped lines like "I'm the Juggernaut, b----!"

His mutancy was only implied. He was implode.

The last time I held this attitude of optimism in spite of all signs pointing to the movie being garbage, X-Men: The Last Stand happened. I'm not getting burned again.

When I held that optimism for X-3, I dropped it like a roc drops an elephant as soon as Bryan Singer dropped out. Then X-Men: The Last Stand happened.
Now, they've kinda got him back, and my optimism came with him.

That said, Mistress Merr, I fully support your pessimism.

Y'see, they fell for both of the classic blunders:
The first is never involve a new director in the third movie.
Second, but only slightly less well-known, is never go in agianst too many villains when the franchise is on the line!

- Le Messor
"Doomsayers cautiously optimistic!"
~ Futurama headline

cmdrkoenig67
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Like I said, it sounds interesting, and promising. But the proof is in the pudding (and the file is in the cake, and the cheque is in the mail).

As far as "teenage angst", remember that producer Bryan Singer did "Superman Returns". For as slow-paced and adulty (artsy?) a movie as that one was, it did highlight a lot of character development, something that we here are always clamouring for...

Great characters? Flightpath! Seriousy? Azazel (from one of the worst X-Men story blunders of the century)...Angel II? The snow-white harlot, Emma Frost? Professor X with hair?! Are you crazy?! ;)

Dana

cmdrkoenig67
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Also, FP..Who is that quote from? Vaughn? Singer? They said in what you posted, that the movie isn't a reboot, yet Vaughn said in another interview that it was....Which is it?! With Emma Frost being in the film, it already is a reboot anyway...Unless they're somehow going to say that the Emma (who could turn her skin to diamond) in the Wolverine movie (which was a horrible mess) wasn't the actual Emma Frost (she's actually billed as Emma Frost according to www.imdb.com).

Dana

MistressMerr
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Also, FP..Who is that quote from? Vaughn? Singer? They said in what you posted, that the movie isn't a reboot, yet Vaughn said in another interview that it was....Which is it?! With Emma Frost being in the film, it already is a reboot anyway...Unless they're somehow going to say that the Emma (who could turn her skin to diamond) in the Wolverine movie (which was a horrible mess) wasn't the actual Emma Frost (she's actually billed as Emma Frost according to www.imdb.com).

Dana
Well, January Jones has mentioned that it's all CGI when she 'morphs into her diamond form', so who knows. :\ They probably just won't address it.