PDA

View Full Version : Astonishing

Flightpath07
03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Just got my first look at Astonsihing X-Men #1.

Faces that aren't shadowed, you can actually see expressions. Bright(er) colours.

Heroes, deciding to be heroes. Colourful superhero costumes. Mutants going out into the world, to save ordinary people and present themselves as a part of humanity.

I like it. This is an X-Men series that I would actually buy!

I highly recommend it.

Le Messor
03-18-2011, 05:14 AM
You mean the Whedon series?

Love it! It's great!
I second that recommendation. And yes, even I'm not down on the colours on that one.

- Le Messor
Kitty: "You teach ethics?"
Emma: "Yes, let's do make jokes at this time."
Kitty: "I'm not joking. I have a real problem with that."

Phil
03-18-2011, 06:34 AM
The first and last arcs are amazing.
The Hellfire one's slightly weak, but works better when you read the entire series in one sitting.

Flightpath07
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes Mik, the Whedon series. I'm starting to beleive he has that Midas touch.

Le Messor
03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
In that case, I definitely stand by my recommendation. I just think Joss is a great writer.

I've also got the motion comic of the first few issues.
It takes some getting used to, but is good.

I'd recommend jumping off when Whedon does, though. The run immediately after is not one I'll gush about.

- Le Messor
"I made a wrong mistake."
~ Yogi Berra (attrib)

Flightpath07
03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
So...is this a reprinting then? Not things currently happening, but already happened?

Le Messor
03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
So...is this a reprinting then? Not things currently happening, but already happened?

Umm... if it's recent, yes?
I don't know what you have. The series I'm talking about has had a full run, I have the hardcover of all of it.

- Le Messor
Anya: "I made the rounds myself. Tried to dig up anything useful from the demon community."
Xander: "They're a community now? What's next, the Ladies' Auxiliary?"

Flightpath07
03-19-2011, 04:17 AM
This is new. Like, came out last month I do believe. Issue # 1 and all that...

Phil
03-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Was it the 'Marvels Greatest Comics' version?

Le Messor
03-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Look, we could argue all day about who forgot to pick up who until you guys all lie conquered at my feet, or:

Astonishing X-Men, June 2004, writer: Joss Whedon; penicller: John Cassaday

front cover:

random page:

Is this the one you're talking about?

- Le Messor
"I must have slipped a disk; my pack hurts."

Phil
03-19-2011, 04:29 PM
They re-released it last month as part of 'Marvels Greatest Comics' line for $1.00

Le Messor
03-19-2011, 04:35 PM
They re-released it last month as part of 'Marvels Greatest Comics' line for $1.00

're-released it'? I didn't know it was in jail... that explains where all the good comics have gone, though.

Okay, that makes sense, though. But I do sense a flaw in their marketing... How will poor FP get the rest?
Ooh, expensive trade!

- Le Messor
"I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it."
~ W.C. Fields

Flightpath07
03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Dang! Funny how there was nothing to say that it was a re-release. Ordered it online, thought it was a launch of a new series.

:( Bummer.

Le Messor
03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry, dude. :( If it makes you feel any better, it was a great series and only got better with tim--
oh.