PDA

View Full Version : Article: Alpha Flight #0.1 Preview *UPDATED*

mreeez
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Feast your eyes! (http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-04-13-AlphaFlightPointOne_N.htm)

DIGGER
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Looks terrific. But when did 'Squatch start manscaping? He looks a little thin in the hairy department (but still looks great).

DIGGER

Canucklehead
04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Whew! Thank god Aurora has her "twin" costume and long hair. I was scared after seeing those 2 covers.

varo
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
3 pages of preview and there's more character there than there's been in YEARS!!! Walter in his suit to resist auroras speed, aurora going through therapy and more assertive, department h case files...........omg!! and thats on 3 preview pages!!! not thrilled about sasquatchs look, but fvl and greg pak are going to nail these characters!!! bring them back to the ones we fell in love with all those years ago.

so psyched.

sengsterooney
04-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Impressed beyond words!

Well, perhaps not beyond words.

I love the natural banter between Aurora and Sas... it really hearkens back to the team dynamics from the Byrne era.

Kudos to FVL and GP -- Alpha Flight 2011 is going to be awesome!

sengsterooney
04-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Also - loved the art by Ben Oliver. Not too bothered that Sas looks a little less fuzzy - the dynamic angles and the way he draws Aurora... WOW!

Legerd
04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Love the new old Aurora, both the look, and the personality. Same goes for Walter. Nice to see they're touching on some minor details from both new, and old stories.

cmdrkoenig67
04-14-2011, 12:29 AM
OMGAH! I love it! I totally agree with Varo on the character elements...It's wonderful to see a writer who cares enough to give you info like that. I'm sooooo tired of decompressed story-telling, this reads more like the old days. Lots of action and character stuff, unlike other "star" writers at Marvel who drag one issue out over six.

Cool to see the return of Citadel too (Alpha Flight needs more adversaries/villains/terrorists/etc...).

Bravo Mr Pak, Mr Van Lente and Mr Oliver (and not to forget the gorgeous cover by the talented Mr Jimenez)!

So excited!

Dana

Flightpath07
04-14-2011, 12:32 AM
That art looks rough, but that just could be the medium or the viewing program. Sas looks...naked. Brown and naked. Sigh.

Okay, complaining is done. Time to rally behind my Flight!

"But longtime Alpha fans will be psyched to see some familiar faces return, though maybe not in the roles they're used to."

Oooo...the only thing I like better than hindsight, is foreshadowing! Bring it!

suzene
04-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Oh my...<3

Phil
04-14-2011, 05:43 AM
It's a good time to be an Alpha Fan methinks.

Phil
04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
And I also think a re-read of Wolverine:First Class #5 is in order for me tonight!

cmdrkoenig67
04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Now I want to re-read that issue too.

Dana

Legerd
04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Over at Dale Eaglesham's site FVL said in reference to this interview:

I think that one is just on-line.

But there are more coming...
I take it to mean there are more newspaper interviews coming!

Sasquatch17
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I love the banter between the characters...

But I hate Sasquatch's haircut!!!

Flightpath07
04-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I take it to mean there are more newspaper interviews coming!

Plus one here!

Phil
04-19-2011, 06:22 PM
The article's been updated....

Let the spoiler spaced speculation begin!

varo
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
new interview. more art. wow!

http://marvel.com/news/story/15670/tuesday_qa_greg_pak_fred_van_lente

Phil
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Yup, see here (http://www.alphaflight.net/content.php?440-Marvel-com-s-Q-A-with-Pak-Van-Lente) for that.

Marvel are REALLY getting behind this series <3

-K-M-
04-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Incredible art, wow.

varo
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
cant open a couple of the thumbnails on marvels site. bummer!!!

Canucklehead
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
cant open a couple of the thumbnails on marvels site. bummer!!!

They're working now.

Legerd
04-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Beautiful art! Nice to see Marvel promoting the book.

Le Messor
04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
"Marvel.com: Gotta ask, guys: What about Puck?
Fred Van Lente: Let's just say his time in Hell over in Jason Aaron's WOLVERINE has changed him a bit."

Implies Puck will be in the book.

"Fred Van Lente: Let's say there is a major betrayal within Alpha's own ranks; one of the heroes turns traitor to side with the fascists, and you'll never guess who he is."

So it's a male hero, and one of the Alphans themselves.

"Marvel.com: The thrust of Fear Itself is of a mystical nature; how might the magic-based Shaman deal with that? Likewise, will Snowbird's goddess status make her uniquely in tune with the forces Sin has tapped into?"

I ... don't know why I thought that was significant...

- Le Messor
"I thought, Homecoming Queen, I could open a yearbook someday and say 'I was there, I went to high school and had friends and for just one minute I got to live in the world.' And then there'd be proof. Proof I was chosen for something other than this. Besides, I look cute in a tiara."
~ Buffy

Legerd
04-20-2011, 10:22 PM
"Fred Van Lente: Let's say there is a major betrayal within Alpha's own ranks; one of the heroes turns traitor to side with the fascists, and you'll never guess who he is."
I'll guess Stephen Harper. Oh wait, he said it would be a hero...

"Marvel.com: The thrust of Fear Itself is of a mystical nature; how might the magic-based Shaman deal with that? Likewise, will Snowbird's goddess status make her uniquely in tune with the forces Sin has tapped into?"

I ... don't know why I thought that was significant...

I do, but I'll never tell.

Tawmis
04-20-2011, 11:50 PM
WHEN does this come out?!?!?

Phil
04-21-2011, 05:35 AM
May 18th.

Le Messor
04-21-2011, 06:14 AM
I do, but I'll never tell.

:( Then I will never know.

Tawmis
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
May 18th.

Yeegads, too long to wait! :)

I am not too much of a fan of how Sasquatch is drawn, but the rest of the art looks amazing. I wish people would look at Alpha Flight v1 and see how Byrne drew him. More of an Orangutan type look, with arms as long as his body length, and huge ape like feet.

Le Messor
04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I am not too much of a fan of how Sasquatch is drawn, but the rest of the art looks amazing. I wish people would look at Alpha Flight v1 and see how Byrne drew him. More of an Orangutan type look, with arms as long as his body length, and huge ape like feet.

Good news is, from what we've seen, Dale Eaglesham did look at the original before drawing - and the main series is the main thing.

- Le Messor
"I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble when my universal joint gave way causing me to have an accident."
~ alleged insurance claim

Phil
04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I like the fact that different artists have their own unique styles sometimes though.
It'd be boring if Byrne was the only person to have ever drawn Sas.

Flightpath07
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
If Boring = Awesome, then i agree with Phil!

MajorMountie
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Haha, perfect. Yes, Byrne's Sas is the best.

That being said, I need to make sure I get this book. Had no clue it was coming out! This preview is fantastic.

DelBubs
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Welcome Major Mountie. Nice to see you jumping straight in. If you get the urge there's a Introduce yourself thread in the general discussion forum. Nice to meet you.

MajorMountie
04-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks! I made a little post there, so hopefully I'll get to know some folks here sooner than later. :)

Le Messor
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
hopefully I'll get to know some folks here sooner than later. :)

No, Randy, that'll never happen...

Banshee
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
The art is amazing. I am so looking forward to this. With all the *crap* that Marvel is publishing, surely the Flight will fly this time. What's not to like!

Le Messor
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
With all the *crap* that Marvel is publishing, surely the Flight will fly this time.

I've mentioned somewhere recently that popular ≠ good. Sadly, that works both ways...

I usually phrase it that I've never noticed a correlation between quality and popularity. I've seen things that are popular and good, and things that are popular and bad. I've seen things that are unpopular and bad, and things that are unpopular and good.

So, even if Alpha Flight stands out as the best title Marvel is publishing now-- Banshee, why are there only three digits in the Grissom's call-sign? NCC 638? I've never seen a starfleet vessel with less than four! (That wasn't an NX-, at least...)

- Le Messor
"I will defend to your death my right to my opinion."
~ Author Unknown

cmdrkoenig67
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree with Mik....Look at Captain Britain & MI13...Fantastic reviews and didn't it get nominated for/or win some award(s)? As Mik stated, Good does not equal popular or vice versa.

Dana

musicgeek
05-02-2011, 01:09 AM
May 18th.

Stupid question. Does anyone know why Marvel does not have it listed in their May releases? I found the dates for AF #1 in June and #2 in July (second Wednesday of each month), but not the 0.1 issue in May. (http://marvel.com/comic_books/calendar/thisWeek)

Flightpath07
05-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Because the link you posted only displays comics published from May 1st thru 7th?

Phil
05-02-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd imagine it's just an oversight.

The solicit and press-release have it for May 18th, as do Diamond still.

cmdrkoenig67
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I'd imagine it's just an oversight.

The solicit and press-release have it for May 18th, as do Diamond still.

DID YOU SAY DIAMOND LIL?! Oh...No...Sorry. :lol:

Dana

Ahab
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
DID YOU SAY DIAMOND LIL?! Oh...No...Sorry. :lol:

Dana

I miss Diamond Lil. Hopefully Hercules knew her and got that wrong when he "fixed" everything too...

cmdrkoenig67
05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe the universe was so messed up with the afterlife being blasted open, that maybe she slipped out (along with others)...Who knows? It might be awesome if she turned up as a member of the government's team hunting Alpha.

Dana

Flightpath07
05-05-2011, 02:25 AM
It might be awesome if she turned up as a member of the government's team hunting Alpha.

Yet another reason, as well, for a cool scene when they have a cross-over with the X-Men. Love to see the expression on Madison's face when he sees her alive.

suzene
05-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Yet another reason, as well, for a cool scene when they have a cross-over with the X-Men. Love to see the expression on Madison's face when he sees her alive.

For the two seconds before she slaps it clean to the other side of his head. :-\"

Flightpath07
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
For the two seconds before she slaps it clean to the other side of his head. :-\"

Oh...and he deserves it!

(Isn't he cheating on her still-warm corpse with a coffee-maker, or a toaster, or some other X-appliance?)

Phil
05-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Stupid question. Does anyone know why Marvel does not have it listed in their May releases? I found the dates for AF #1 in June and #2 in July (second Wednesday of each month), but not the 0.1 issue in May. (http://marvel.com/comic_books/calendar/thisWeek)

The calendar's been updated.
It's skeleton bare at the moment, but it's listed for May 18th.

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/39654/alpha_flight_2011_0.1

No sign of the MCP X-Men: Alpha Flight though, which was originally supposed to ship the same date.

EDIT: Answered my own query (http://www.alphaflight.net/showthread.php?5392-New-Alpha-Flight-HC-in-February&p=79351&viewfull=1#post79351).