PDA

View Full Version : Is Guardian still a cyborg?

Jason Eberly
07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but is he?

If he isn't, then when did he stop being one? With the latest resurrection?

One inquiring reader wants to know!

~Jason

DelBubs
07-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Going from this (http://www.alphaflight.net/alphanex/index.php?title=Guardian_I) I would say yes, but I get confused easily :confused:

Jason Eberly
07-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I read that just a few minutes before posting the question.

It got me thinking that the last time I can even remember it being referenced was the end of Volume 1.

(Doesn't mean that it hasn't been addressed since, since I haven't read Volume 3 or his Wolverine appearances, or I might even just not remember when it was addressed.)

~Jason E.

DelBubs
07-24-2011, 08:34 AM
I think we're gonna need an expert on this. My undertanding is that this Mac is the past version (see here (http://marvel.com/universe/Guardian_%28James_Hudson%29) ). On that basis, it would seem that this is the non cybernetic Mac. Any takers?

Phil
07-24-2011, 09:13 AM
I always read his re-introduction as The Antiguard at the end of Volume 1 as The Master having taken all the cyborg stuff out of him.
I have no idea why I thought it at the time, or if there's been anything to contradict it since, however.

-K-M-
07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
He had his cybernetic parts after the Anti-Guard incident it was referenced as such in the handbooks. Now does he have the cybernetic parts in this new run of Alpha Flight? No I don't think he does, no real reason as they haven't stated as such but I feel Fred Van Lente wanted to go back to the true Byrne characters and start from there.

Phil
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Something to do with the whole cloning/de-aging debacle pre-Volume 2?

DelBubs
07-24-2011, 12:16 PM
On the Marvel site they reference that whole coming back from the past stuff. I think it's at times like this we need Loki :-)

Canucklehead
07-24-2011, 01:11 PM
When Mac walked through the portal in Chaos War, was that a new body? Did his spirit create a new body and suit? Is he still buried somewhere from the collective incident?

Jason Eberly
07-24-2011, 03:06 PM
When Mac walked through the portal in Chaos War, was that a new body? Did his spirit create a new body and suit? Is he still buried somewhere from the collective incident?

That's primarily where this question came from. I thought that since they hadn't mentioned it post (latest) resurrection, that maybe he had ceased being a cyborg at some point prior to that and I had just missed it or somesuch.

~Jason E.

DIGGER
07-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I always read his re-introduction as The Antiguard at the end of Volume 1 as The Master having taken all the cyborg stuff out of him.
I have no idea why I thought it at the time, or if there's been anything to contradict it since, however.

I thought this same thing. The Master (imo) stripped Mac down to a cellular level just like what happened to the Master when he was taken in to the alien ship he discovered and then reconstructed him. They also never did explain how Mac got his skin color back in the last couple of pages of 130 either ( and don't try to tell me that he used a tanner/tanning bed because if he had he would now be lobster colored...because he was paler than pale).

DIGGER

Phil
07-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Mac's resurrection as a cyborg is my most hated plot point from the whole of Vol.1, worse than the elven fairy twins, worse than normal sized Puck.
The whole point about that tale was that it was a load of Bull that Courtney used to feed to Heather.
Even The Antiguard resurrection made more sense given The Master's love of genetic tinkering.

-K-M-
07-24-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't recall any reference of Master removing any cybernetic parts, and not sure why he would as Master fuses biological components with technology as he has done to himself.

In addition it was said the Master convinced Mac's computer mind intellect, once Mac regained his emotions he turned on the Master. Another point is the fact Master even said he didn't modify him, but only found him and talked to him as an equal and was greatly hurt by the betrayal as he thought he found someone who shared his dream.

Phil
07-24-2011, 06:06 PM
His handbook entry reads "The Master healed and brainwashed Hudson..." and his biomechanical components are never mentioned again.

-K-M-
07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
His handbook entry reads "The Master healed and brainwashed Hudson..." and his biomechanical components are never mentioned again.

Read the Power/abilities section of the same bio as it talks about his cybernetic upgrade and says he still has it.

Also he never brainwashed him, they even state it a few times in #130 that he was never brainwashed. Even in #130 they state his computer like mind thought the Master's plan was logical and thanks to his cybernetic upgrade he listened to the Master's plan more and agreed.

Phil
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Read the Power/abilities section of the same bio as it talks about his cybernetic upgrade and says he still has it.

If we're talking the A-Z HC Vol.4;
"After alteration by the Qwrrlln, Hudson possesses a computer-like mind, which grants him a photographic memory, incredible mental processing skills, and vast mental storage capacity. Further, his body has increased stamina and endurance, and can convert perspiration into electrical energy by means of an electro-osmotic reaction. Hudson can also control and override all electromagnetic frequencies once he has accessed their wavelengths."

So while definitely not human, not necessarily cybernetic either, but yeah I can see that the Master didn't completely revert him back.
The handbook is the only place after #130 that cybernetics are ever referenced though, yeah?

Also he never brainwashed him, they even state it a few times in #130 that he was never brainwashed. Even in #130 they state his computer like mind thought the Master's plan was logical and thanks to his cybernetic upgrade he listened to the Master's plan more and agreed.
Not my words, just quoting the handbook.

As to now, best guess; Hercules was unaware of Mac being part cybernetic and revived him as 100% human *shrugs*

Phil
07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Not counting the fake Mac's comment about them, I mean.

Alpha Rider
07-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I believe that Mac is still has the Cyborg parts in him, but his humanity has returned. After he came back in "Building Blocks" Heather refured to him as a cold fish. See AF 90 -100. But in issues after 130, Mac did show more emotions like in Wolverine #92 (?) and vol 2.

I believe that the Master took Mac's implants out. AF #130 "No! This cannot be. We understood each other. Didn't we? After an eternity of isolation on an artificial plateau of evolution, at last I had someone who understood my dreams. My needs."

-K-M-
07-24-2011, 08:07 PM
If we're talking the A-Z HC Vol.4;
"After alteration by the Qwrrlln, Hudson possesses a computer-like mind, which grants him a photographic memory, incredible mental processing skills, and vast mental storage capacity. Further, his body has increased stamina and endurance, and can convert perspiration into electrical energy by means of an electro-osmotic reaction. Hudson can also control and override all electromagnetic frequencies once he has accessed their wavelengths."

So while definitely not human, not necessarily cybernetic either, but yeah I can see that the Master didn't completely revert him back.
The handbook is the only place after #130 that cybernetics are ever referenced though, yeah?

Different entry, but yeah says the exact same thing.

The electro-osmotic reference was stated in Vol.1 due to his cybernetic enhancements, so I don't see how he could do it if he didnt have any technology in him. I have to recheck, but I believe in an issue with Wolverine they did. Even a suitless Mac shot an electromagnetic blast (which could have been an error) when kidnapped by A.I.M

Not my words, just quoting the handbook.

As to now, best guess; Hercules was unaware of Mac being part cybernetic and revived him as 100% human *shrugs*

I know, just don't agree with it as they specifically mention several times he wasn't brainwashed.

Remember cyber Mac teleported Herc to fight Galactus, he would have known. HOWEVER, I can see Hercules bringing him back as 100% human though. I have my doubts he still is cybernetic.

kozzi24
07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe his first-in-forever "teleporting" power use in the current series is an indication that he is now 100% human. If that's something he never did as a cyborg, it would seem the power was in the suit but not the cyborg bit.

Alpha Rider
07-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Don't forget what happened in vol 3 where Mac came back from the past and never "died" so was never made in to a cyborg.

-K-M-
07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Don't forget what happened in vol 3 where Mac came back from the past and never "died" so was never made in to a cyborg.

That was the temporal copy and that version of Mac returned back to his original time-line.

Le Messor
07-25-2011, 05:07 AM

I don't know why you thought that either, but I thought the same thing.

- Le Messor
"Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of."
~ David Moser

Flightpath07
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
but the duplicate was seemingly killed during the escape.

I always thought this was lame; what a stupid way to get rid of the cloned younger James. And, reading the issue, it felt REALLY fake and contrived - I didn't believe it then, and i don't buy it now, either. That younger clone is still out there somewhere, probably in AIM's hands even right now!

Mokole
07-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I doubt he has anything but human parts; after all, why would machines go to the afterlife?

Flightpath07
07-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Er...Aaron Stack just got very angry with you!

kozzi24
07-26-2011, 07:07 AM
I want to forget ALL ABOUT Volume 3

Le Messor
07-26-2011, 07:24 AM
I doubt he has anything but human parts; after all, why would machines go to the afterlife?

Y'know, the shopping, the ice-capades...

- Le Messor
"No machine heaven? Where do the calculators go?"
~ Kryten

Mokole
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Er...Aaron Stack just got very angry with you!

Bah! He's drunk, and I could take him.

Le Messor
07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
A robot? Drunk?
Has he been forgetting to take his alcohol again?

- Le Messor
"I’d love to, but I’m too young for that stuff."

Flightpath07
07-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Bah! He's drunk, and I could take him.

If you look like your avatar, it'd be a good match; can i get ringside seats?