View Full Version : Alpha Flight #5 Discussion Thread. **Spoilers**

DelBubs
10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Okay Ladies and Gents. This be the thread (the title explains it all, so I'm not going to go into detail). Please remember Spoiler Space.

Garry/Al-Fan
10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

1st impression of # 5: the book feels like it's actually going somewhere, now, even though I don't have a clue what Guardian and Shaman (yes! Thank you!) are up to.

Alphan East
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Issue 5 continues to deliver a great story arc. Really liking Mac becoming more and more of a "resistance" leader. Marrina continues to have very few lines in the story... but as usual, she has some of the best. Once again, the final page already has me eager for next month. And, as always, Dale's artwork... oh my God !!! :)

Legerd
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Loved everything about this issue! I will admit, I was worried about where they were going with AF robbing a bank, but the reason actually makes some sense. Glad to see Mac has a plan, and isn't just running from Johnny Law. On the CBR forums I made a joke that Mac and Alice Hu would hook up, and it looks like they might! :mrgreen:

Can't wait for AF #6. :D

batman_von_gein
10-13-2011, 06:17 AM
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

i agree about mac and alice hu. definitely looks like she wants him and if heather is incurable it makes sense. she could even be the new vindicator. the story as always was awesome. can't wait to see how jean-marie screwing over alpha flight was part of their plan. wish there was more shaman in issue 5 but it looks like he'll be in more next one. can't wait til next month.

Legerd
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

i agree about mac and alice hu. definitely looks like she wants him and if heather is incurable it makes sense. she could even be the new vindicator. the story as always was awesome. can't wait to see how jean-marie screwing over alpha flight was part of their plan. wish there was more shaman in issue 5 but it looks like he'll be in more next one. can't wait til next month.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

I wonder if they do plan to make Hu the next Vindicator? That would be drastic I think. Not sure if it would be good or bad though. :confused:

Aurora = Trojan Horse, and I'm betting Shaman will be playing a bigger role with her.

Alpha Rider
10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I liked the fact that Puck and the Taskmaster go way back that was suprizing. Alice Hu as Vindicator III, it would be great to see some more colour in AF as apose to the "white bread" Canadians. Sure Shaman, Merina, Talisman, Windsheer, and Pathway were all visable minorites but three of the five stated are no longer with AF. I think AF should be more reflective of Canada's diversities and have more ethnic charaters involved in the book as an on going basis.

Legerd
10-13-2011, 03:29 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I liked the fact that Puck and the Taskmaster go way back that was suprizing. Alice Hu as Vindicator III, it would be great to see some more colour in AF as apose to the "white bread" Canadians. Sure Shaman, Merina, Talisman, Windsheer, and Pathway were all visable minorites but three of the five stated are no longer with AF. I think AF should be more reflective of Canada's diversities and have more ethnic charaters involved in the book as an on going basis.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

It would be nice for AF to get back to being more diverse. I still want to see Windshear return, either with his powers, or still depowered but wearing the Box armour. AF needs a Box. Plus, more secondary characters like Kyle. One of the things AF has always lacked was friends and family members outside the team.

Sasquatch17
10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Another very strong issue.

Love Snowbird acting like the goddess she is.

Marrina is the breakout character!

-K-M-
10-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Another very solid issue from the team. By far one of the best Marvel series on the shelves right now and I read a LOT of Marvel books.

musicgeek
10-13-2011, 11:39 PM
S
P
O
I
L
I
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I am loving the new series, though felt this was the weakest of the new issues (including Chaos Wars and 0.1), but still ranks better than many issues in the prior versions. I felt that the last page did not have the impact as issues 1-4, but was still intriguing. Am I the only one hoping that whatever plan Shaman and Guardian have planned solves her personality issues?

Purple Womanmakes a good villain. I hope she stays that way. (What would her mother, Laura, and Goblin think?)

I really like Marrina’s new attitude and look. While I was originally turned off but them and wanted the old Marrina back, the new one has grown on me. I cannot wait to see what FVL and GP have in store for the story behind the change. I think they have done more character development on her in one issue than all the time since Byrne. (I am not counting being a leviathan as character development.)

FVL and GP, yet again, showed their mastery over Snowbird’s transformation powers. In the original Alpha run how many animals did she transform into? Normally she turned into a wolverine, bear, owl, or Sasquatch with a lynx, mosquitoes, and a whale thrown in one time each. Now we are seeing a wide variety of animals. My one question is, when did she become bulletproof?

The underground Flight is interesting. I am looking forward to the showdown between the two Alphas and keep wondering who will be paired up fighting each other. I am routing for Alice Wu for the new Box.

The art has been spectacular. I like that Mac looks like he is in his 30s. Not too sure of Heather’s freckles. Sometimes they make her look like she is in her teens/early 20s. I am assuming she got them during the Unity processing.

Question on the unity process. Is it permanent (well, as permanent can be in comic books) or easily reversed? I was confused, were Vindicator and the others “taken apart and rebuilt” or just brainwashed?

Sorry if this was a bit long. I have been meaning to post on prior issues, but have never had time.

Le Messor
10-14-2011, 06:11 AM
S
P
O
I
L
I
E
R

S
A
U
C
E

wanted the old Marrina back, the new one has grown on me. I cannot wait to see what FVL and GP have in store for the story behind the change.

Marrina has consistently been rated Alpha Flight's most anti-social and rebellious member.
(p2, panel 1)
What are you talking about? What 'old Marrina'? What 'new one'? She's always been like that! The comic says so!

Not too sure of Heather’s freckles. Sometimes they make her look like she is in her teens/early 20s. I am assuming she got them during the Unity processing.

You may be right. Well spotted!

Question on the unity process. Is it permanent (well, as permanent can be in comic books) or easily reversed? I was confused, were Vindicator and the others “taken apart and rebuilt” or just brainwashed?

We haven't been told, but I've been assuming reversible.

- Le Messor
Colonel Sanders: "The (self-destruct countdown) is irreversible!"
President Skroob: "Like my raincoat!"

Wildcard
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

This may be my favourite issue of the series thus far!

I think the personalities of the characters are really starting to come out now. I was always kind of partial to Snowbird in the past but I dont know what it is but I have really enjoyed her in this series, especially this issue where she really demonstrates her goddess-ness. Puck has been such a joy to read and can't wait to learn more of his dark past. Loved him standing over Taskmaster with the gun - classic! I should also mention how just a few tweaks to the art can change opinion - I LOVE how dale draws both Birdy and Puck. Snowbird's billowing cape and this Puck may be the best yet! yes, even better than Byrne's.

Speaking of costumes, that brings me to Marina. I still don't like her costume but I LOVE the revamp of her. She has been the pleasant surprise of this series and truly does steal the scene every time she is shown. I never liked her in the past but this new Marina makes me literally smile every time I read her dialogue. More more more!

I am hoping that once the series is more established that FVL and GP do a few stories involving small groups of the team. Single and 2 issue stories involving odd pairings of the team. Like a mission that involves Marina, Aurora and Snowbird or another with Puck, Northstar and Shaman - something like that. Would be a great way to explore how the team interacts with each other as well as provide an opportunity to further spotlight each character's personality.

All in all, I am super excited about this series and every time I finish an issue, I cant wait for the next one. I have enjoyed every decision (with the exception of Marina's costume) the creative team has done thus far and I cant wait to see where they take the team next. I am still hoping that Talisman joins the team at some point

Le Messor
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
N
O
T

A
T

A
L
L

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Y

Speaking of costumes, that brings me to Marina. I still don't like her costume but I LOVE the revamp of her.

Weird... I like her new costume, but don't like the revamp of her.

- Le Messor
"Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun."

DelBubs
10-14-2011, 02:34 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Another good issue, couldn't fault the art and the writing flowed. Definately enjoyed the way Puck and Mac took down Citadel. Who would have thunk it, Alpha Flight co-ordinating an attack.

Oh and I managed to score myself a #3 Variant cover with the promise that the three I'm missing should be in the store when I go back for #6, along with Alpha Flight Classics vol 2, Guardian, Snowbird and The 'Sasquatch/Puck special' Eaglemoss figures. A good day all round.

Phil
10-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Del, I've got a #4 variant you can have if you haven't already committed to buying one.

DelBubs
10-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Del, I've got a #4 variant you can have if you haven't already committed to buying one.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. That would be grand, Paul just said he'll put out some feelers. Shall we say the Excel in Feb. I'll be the one lying outside singing crude songs and getting harassed by security.

Cheers fella, enjoy it being whiskey o'clock.

Jason Eberly
10-15-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm gonna say it...this run of Alpha Flight is the best since Byrne's (even though it's only been 7 issues [including Chaos War and 0.1]).

The art seemed even better this issue to me and the pacing of the overall story has been wonderful. Just enough progression in each issue to feel it is moving along yet not being rushed.

The only thing I didn't care for is Taskmaster. Not that I don't like Taskmaster...I think he's a great character. What I don't like is he's becoming another one of the characters that seems to have all this mysterious past with every other character with a mysterious past. Taskmaster's early appearance and origin established (to me, at least) that he was one to not want to get his hands dirty, which is why he opened his training school for criminals. Now this current iteration of him makes him sound like a swashbuckling mercenary through the years. To me it makes him less original and more hokey.

Also, I hope we never get a 'life story' for Puck. I know we have (as distasteful as it is to some) an origin for Puck (AF #32), but I think revealing his past prior to AF ruins part of his charm for me, much as it did for characters like Wolverine. I prefer to think of his past as almost a type of mythology, full of legends and innuendos.

Lastly, I like Velveeta, the cheese nature never intended.

Le Messor
10-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Taskmaster's early appearance and origin established (to me, at least) that he was one to not want to get his hands dirty, which is why he opened his training school for criminals. Now this current iteration of him makes him sound like a swashbuckling mercenary through the years. To me it makes him less original and more hokey.

That sort of things happens all too often, sadly - some hot new writer coming in and thinking a character will be great if they just 'tweak' it like this... And the tweaks make them look just like a dozen other characters out there.

Lastly, I like Velveeta, the cheese nature never intended.

Never tried it, but word on the street is, I like sticky tape.

Seriously... that's painted on a street (well, a bike path) not far from here.

Wildcard
10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Also, I hope we never get a 'life story' for Puck. I know we have (as distasteful as it is to some) an origin for Puck (AF #32), but I think revealing his past prior to AF ruins part of his charm for me, much as it did for characters like Wolverine. I prefer to think of his past as almost a type of mythology, full of legends and innuendos.

Hmm, you make a good point. It could be cool to never truly know about Puck's past. Just references here and there to make you wonder. I like it!

varo
10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
got this issue late (for me) on friday. all i can say is WOW!!!!

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

best issue of the series................by far, not because of the plot or a storyline moving forward, but because of how well the characters are being developed.

mac is turning into a regular patriot and his motivation is becoming clear. he is fighting for his country. plus he was finally acknowledged as a genius.

snowbird is turning into the total bad ass demi-god she should be. its obvious fvl loves her.

puck.......is puck. the back and forth with him and taskmaster was priceless, and him taking a shot at walt at the end was classic.

marrina is becoming one of my favorite characters being upset that she wasnt in a bank robbery and messing with walt about being a sleeper agent was awesome!!

northstar is as smug as ever.

shaman obviously knows more than all of us

aurora is still trying to gain control. in my only gripe about this series i really would like her to finally gain some contro over her personalities, like in the norman osborne issue where she was in complete control and used it to her benefit.

walter was his normal horny nerdy self. his reaction to marrina was priceless.

so looking forward to where this is going.

Le Messor
10-15-2011, 03:44 PM
s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

a

u

c

e

puck.......is puck. the back and forth with him and taskmaster was priceless, and him taking a shot at walt at the end was classic.

Which hearkens back to their rivalry in Byrne's issues!

shaman obviously knows more than all of us

I think my last attempt at surgery proved that quite well.

- Le Messor
"If brains were taxed, he'd get a rebate."

Ahab
10-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Loved everything about this issue! On the CBR forums I made a joke that Mac and Alice Hu would hook up, and it looks like they might! :mrgreen:

I don't say this to many people because I don't know how they will react, but I have to be honest - I don't know that I like Hu.

Jason Eberly
10-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't say this to many people because I don't know how they will react, but I have to be honest - I don't know that I like Hu.

For the life of me, I don't know if this is a serious statement or the most awesome pun I have heard in a while.

Either way...good for Hu for admitting it!

Legerd
10-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I am seriously wondering if I should consider whether of not to be upset about this.

Le Messor
10-15-2011, 11:53 PM
It's not Hu, it's me. I don't like Hu anymore.

Alpha Rider
10-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I am seriously wondering if I should consider whether of not to be upset about this.

Why would one take offence to not liking a charter? Is it because she's Asian? It's okay not to like a charter the way they are written, but to not like them because of there ethnic background would be wrong. Personally I don't like Hu that much either, but it might change over time if she is in the new on going series and see if she is written better.

Le Messor
10-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Why would one take offence to not liking a charter?

We've been thinking (hoping?) it's because 'I don't like Hu' sounds like 'I don't like you'.

Ahab
10-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Aww rats. I didn't think you would take it seriously. I'm not one of those people on the Internet. I don't relish making anyone feel bad after reading something that I write. It was just meant to be funny. Sorry!

On the subject of Alice Hu though, I like the idea of bringing her in as a supporting character, but as of right now the potential of making her a new Canadian hero doesn't thrill me much. There's too many other Canadian heroes I would rather see revisited. Plus, in my opinion, she should respect his marriage, regardless of whether they are going through a rocky stage. Especially when a child is involved. I didn't really like the goose. For that reason, I'm not sure that I consider her likeable yet.

Sypes
10-16-2011, 02:21 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Love everything about it, again! I'm so greatful they are focusing on character development, more than the story line (even though it is progressing alone). To me, you love characters cause they have flaws and strenght and we can see that in almost all of them now! I could eat Alpha Flight for breakfast, lunch and dinner now-a-days, and help myself for a second serving!

Alpha Rider
10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Aww rats. I didn't think you would take it seriously. I'm not one of those people on the Internet. I don't relish making anyone feel bad after reading something that I write. It was just meant to be funny. Sorry!

On the subject of Alice Hu though, I like the idea of bringing her in as a supporting character, but as of right now the potential of making her a new Canadian hero doesn't thrill me much. There's too many other Canadian heroes I would rather see revisited. Plus, in my opinion, she should respect his marriage, regardless of whether they are going through a rocky stage. Especially when a child is involved. I didn't really like the goose. For that reason, I'm not sure that I consider her likeable yet.

I was just confused about the whole Hu thing at first, just wanted to clearifie that. As for her goosing Guardian and what that may lead or not lead into, it seems out of charater for her as a news reporter, but then you could look at it as she was having a bit of fun after being what she's been through. She could become likeable if they write her differently. As about revisiting past heroes it might be cool to see what they are up to, but to bring them back into the fold may seem rather redundant, and I rather the team move foward than reliving the past.

Le Messor
10-16-2011, 03:40 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

The final frontier...

(That's what you get for me listening to 'Trek soundtracks while typing this.)

As for her goosing Guardian and what that may lead or not lead into, it seems out of charater for her as a news reporter,

Only if she was actually doing any reporting / interviewing at the time. She's supposed to be detached while reporting, but the rest of the time, she's a human being, same as you lot.
(I haven't had a chance to pick up the issue yet, so I don't know the context.)

I could eat Alpha Flight for breakfast, lunch and dinner now-a-days, and help myself for a second serving!

But that would be cannibalism, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.
... wait... you're Wendigo! Run away! Run away!

Legerd
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Why would one take offence to not liking a charter? Is it because she's Asian? It's okay not to like a charter the way they are written, but to not like them because of there ethnic background would be wrong. Personally I don't like Hu that much either, but it might change over time if she is in the new on going series and see if she is written better.
LOL, I was just riffing on the punning. "I don't like Hu" which sounds like "I don't like you".

Alpha Rider
10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
LOL, I was just riffing on the punning. "I don't like Hu" which sounds like "I don't like you".

I thought that it, but wanted to make my point, just incase. Though nothing wrong in not liking Hu.

Canucklehead
10-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I just got back from a 5 day driving road trip across part of this great country. Left Moncton last week and got to spend some time in Québec City (new and old city), Montreal (Shopping, Habs game), Ottawa (parliament building), Toronto (CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame), Niagra Falls (even leaned against a similar railing as Mac did in #4 over the falls) and everywhere in between! In the hotels at night, it seemed fitting to re-read all the issues of this new series (many times over) and I made sure to find a comic shop in Montreal to buy this new issue. What a great read! This series just keeps getting better and better!

I would be fine with Alice Hu joining the team, but not as Vindicator. Maybe in a suped-up Groundhog armour? For that matter, what's Walt going to do with all that alien tech? I'm starting to wonder what their plan is for Sasquatch. Is his powerless storyline just a means to have more "Walter the Genius" character moments? Like removing Heather gives Mac room to breathe, so does removing Sasquatch for a while? What about the head trauma they keep bringing up? Could he be forced to retire? Is that where alien tech + Groundhog armour + Alice Hu come in? Is she going to be a Box-like replacement for him? Lots of questions to be answered in the next few months. Can't wait!

My only minor, minor gripe (if you can call it that) with issue 5 is Mac's helmet. I see Dale decided to go with the original Byrne "Space Helmet" look this issue, as opposed to the "face-contoured-mask-with-nosed" he's had so far. I was never a fan of that original helmet. Always looked a bit hokey to me. Hard to take seriously. Like he'd take it off and I picture an Adam West under there instead of a Christian Bale. The mask version just looks more bad-ass to me. Oh well! Other then that, everything was perfect!

Le Messor
10-17-2011, 04:42 AM
#

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Sasquatch for a while? What about the head trauma they keep bringing up?

So, you believe them about that, do you?

- Le Messor
"Most of what we say and do is unnecessary - choose your words wisely."
~ Marcus Aurelius

Canucklehead
10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
#

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

So, you believe them about that, do you?

- Le Messor

No, just speculating. I know they can't be trusted, but just like Walt says in the intro, "...just incase". I'm just wondering, what if there IS something wrong with him beyond Ranark possibly "stunting his growth"? So far each character has their own problems and subplots, just like in the original Byrne issues. Who says this won't carry-over past the current storyline?

Le Messor
10-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Of course.

Garry/Al-Fan
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm just sayin', couldn't we get a little Vindicator/Guardian-Alpha Flight/Alpha Strike throwdown action before the grab*$$?

Legerd
10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm just sayin', couldn't we get a little Vindicator/Guardian-Alpha Flight/Alpha Strike throwdown action before the grab*$$?
Apparently not. :p