PDA

View Full Version : Moonstone Books have canadian superheroes

Flightpath07
10-24-2011, 03:02 AM
http://moonstonebooks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=42

Northern Guard; i highly recommend them.

DaVeO
10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I got the first two issues but honestly I thought they weren't that good, mainly the dialogue felt dated to me. I did try though and I REALLY wanted to like them. Alas not to be.

Flightpath07
10-27-2011, 03:10 AM
I dug them (digged them?). For me, the "alas" comes in the fact that they are taking so bloody long to get the third issue out!

Alpha Rider
10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Some of them are old Canadian comic book charaters from the 40's and so forth. Johnny Canuck useto be a book back in the 40's and Nanook was also a Canadian book, but from when i don't remember.

swh_comicguy
10-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I dug them (digged them?). For me, the "alas" comes in the fact that they are taking so bloody long to get the third issue out!

Moonstone has canceled the series. Hmmm another Canadian related comic series cancelled!

I've asked David Cutler, the artist, if he or Ty Templeton, the writer, will be able to release the final issue.

While it was not Alpha Flight, the concept was sound, and Canadian.

http://drawingsforhumans.blogspot.com/search/label/Moonstone

Loki
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Some of them are old Canadian comic book charaters from the 40's and so forth. Johnny Canuck useto be a book back in the 40's and Nanook was also a Canadian book, but from when i don't remember.

Nearly, but not quite. All of them are Golden Age characters from Canadian comics, except for Nanook, though she has some similarities to the Golden Age character Nelvanna.

kingdomofevan
10-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Moonstone has canceled the series. Hmmm another Canadian related comic series cancelled!

Oh man, seriously? I was really enjoying that book. It was the closest most people will ever get to reading those Golden Age characters (Freelance, Commander Steel, Nanook) and I was hoping to see more of those classic-issue reprints in the back.

swh_comicguy
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh man, seriously? I was really enjoying that book. It was the closest most people will ever get to reading those Golden Age characters (Freelance, Commander Steel, Nanook) and I was hoping to see more of those classic-issue reprints in the back.

Yeah I was liking the series and the reprints, as well.

I even picked up some original art from issue #1.

Very disappointed that the series appears to have been abandoned.

Flightpath07
10-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow. That sucks. Explaisn why issue number three never came out, tho!

Sucks to have an uncompleted storyline, just leave it hanging...

swh_comicguy
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow. That sucks. Explaisn why issue number three never came out, tho!

Especially when there was only one issue left.

Phil
10-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Makes Marvel's treatment of AF look good, eh?

Flightpath07
11-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Makes Marvel's treatment of AF look good, eh?

THAT's a stretch, Phil. NOTHING can do that. Even in comics, where the impossible is possible, that can't happen.

EccentricSage
11-07-2011, 04:42 AM
And this, my friends, is why I read manga now. Only once have I had something just kind of 'stop' like that, and it was an obscure Korean series. (still broke my heart, though)

Flightpath07
11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Marvel; Strong surprise; astonishment. To become filled with wonder or astonishment. To feel amazement or bewilderment at or about.

Well, that says it all, ES, doesn't it? I'm astonished at their treatment of their fans, I wonder how they heck they stay in business, and i'm bewildered why i should even care anymore.

Sorry to hear a comic broke your heart. At least you've still got Alpha Fli...well, sort of, for a bit?

(I've been so down about things, i haven't even wrote a review of issue 4 yet. Seems pointless.)

Phil
11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
This is how they're staying in business; Cutbacks across the board.

Everything follows cycles in this industry, and changes have to be made before there's another bankrupcy.

The good times will follow the bad though, and repeat anon.

Flightpath07
11-08-2011, 02:45 AM
changes have to be made before there's another bankrupcy

I agree with this part, Phil, if not the rest of your post (respectfully, of course).

I still see this as putting a band-aid on a wound to an artery, and then saying it'll heal just fine. Things in the comic industry CANNOT be sustained as they were. Only change and risk will save the industry. Innovation. And i am not just talking about cut-backs of a few titles, either.

Until Marvel takes a risk as big as DC did (which is a short-term gain for them; they still need a long-term plan!), I still see Marvel as the company that doesn't see what is right in front of them and only reacts (and marginally, at best) after it is far too late. For them not to have known how 52 would affect them in sales...really? This was some sort of surprise? Wow. Good luck with that business plan, Marvel...

Phil
11-09-2011, 04:44 AM
only reacts (and marginally, at best) after it is far too late.
But that's the thing, they are reacting early.
They've cancelled titles that are dropping before they get too low.

For them not to have known how 52 would affect them in sales...really?
DC's event hasn't cost them sales though. PLacenumbers in the Top 300 yes, but sales no.
People who were buying Marvel before are still buying Marvel and people who were buying DC before are still buying the same titles, it has't become a case of 'I'll have to drop a Marvel title to get a new DC title.'
In some cases it's gained them sales as speculators who have gone to stores just to buy DC #1's have picked up Marvel comics whilst there. I'll find the article when the forums are running properly.

This was some sort of surprise? Wow. Good luck with that business plan, Marvel...
Again, it wasn't a surprise at all.Chances are editors knew about it before the public did.
They would have been foolish to act instintively and do the same straight after.
Far better of a business plan to wait 6 months to a year and then see how DC's reboot has affected the comic industry as a whole.

TSOG
03-18-2012, 10:18 AM

If you don't mind doing it in digital format, and in case you weren't failiar with it, I recently found a boatload of 40's Canadian comics on here:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=271

I've been blown away by it over the past couple of weeks. Been reading the adventures of Nelvana and Johnny Canuck, among others. Good stuff.

kingdomofevan
03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I was reading about that on your blog and my jaw dropped. I never thought there was a place where you could download and read full copies of the Canadian Whites; I'm already reading through their collection of Triumph-American. Thank you so much for discovering that.

TSOG
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I was reading about that on your blog and my jaw dropped. I never thought there was a place where you could download and read full copies of the Canadian Whites; I'm already reading through their collection of Triumph-American. Thank you so much for discovering that.

Happy to. And I almost didn't mention it because I thought it might be common knowledge for people who follow the comic world more closely than I do.

Lots of cool characters back then and it's interesting to read Nelvana with the perspective that she helped inspire Snowbird.

Reading that stuff puts the whole "decompressed" thing in a whole other light too. ;) They stuffed more onto one page back then than many writers get into entire issues now.

Flightpath07
03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
TSOG, I'll be checking out that link as well, once i get the time to do so. Sounds interesting.

TSOG
03-19-2012, 08:04 PM
You guys let me know what you think.

The next one I want to check out is Super Duper #3 with Mr Monster. Speed Savage looks like he was in a number of books as well, but didn't get the notoriety that some of the others did.

swh_comicguy
03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Ty Templeton just confirmed on his Facebook page that they are trying to get The Northern Guard wrapped up into a Trade Paperback.
http://www.facebook.com/TyTempletonFanPage/posts/317487441651970?notif_t=share_comment

Flightpath07
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Yay! Crossing...fingers...

TSOG
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, nothing I love more than being forced to double-pay for material if I want to finish a story. :rolleyes: