PDA

View Full Version : An Alphan in Fearless Defenders?

Phil
11-28-2012, 06:39 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42370

I'll try to at least give some hints: Since this is a Defenders book, there definitely needs to be a magic-based character, a hulk-like character, a cosmic-class character. I've probably said enough with that!

Talisman or Snowbird maybe?

Flightpath07
11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm guessing that the "hulk-like character" will be Sharon Ventura.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Sharon_Ventura_(Earth-616)

Alphan East
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm guessing that the "hulk-like character" will be Sharon Ventura.

Nowadays, describing someone as a "Hulk-like" character doesn't really narrow it down very much.
Just exactly how many "Hulks" are there at the moment... I've actually lost count. :)

Le Messor
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
How are we getting Alphans out of that?

(Article = tldnr.)

~ Le Messor
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
~ Andrew Lang

Flightpath07
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
How are we getting Alphans out of that?

(Article = tldnr.)

~ Le Messor
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
~ Andrew Lang

"Magic based character".

-K-M-
11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I have my doubts they will use a member of Alpha Flight, then again I didn't expect Jeffries to join the X-Men and Puck with X-Force.

Phil
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Cullen's said that the title will involve most female characters in the MU in some capacity at some point.

-K-M-
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I could see Snowbird, seems she is likely to appear in other books

Le Messor
11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
"Magic based character".

That's a bit of a stretch...

Cullen's said that the title will involve most female characters in the MU in some capacity at some point.

... but combined with this, not as much.

Most female characters? Will we see Pink Pearl again? I realise she's mostly 'armless now...

~ Le Messor
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
~ Mark Twain

Legerd
12-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I'd like to see Heather in this title since she's taken off from AF. With where she's at in her life I think she'd be a perfect fit for this team.

Flightpath07
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
'armless

Lol. Took me a week to get that joke...

Le Messor
12-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Lol. Took me a week to get that joke...

:) Well, Secret Aventgers was a relativley obscure appereance. Even more obscure than Secret Avengers.

Flightpath07
12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Dang it! I'll get back to you next week, I guess...

Phil
01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Maybe not..

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?441366-Fearless-Defenders-Cullen-Bunn-amp-Will-Sliney-Q-amp-A/page3

Originally Posted by PhilT
Hi guys,

I realise that this is possibly a spoiler or a wait and see, but is there any chance we'll see Talisman (of Alpha & Omega Flight's) in the team at any point at all?
I think she'd be a great fit for the traditional Dr Strange-esque magic role of the team.
Ah, Talisman! There are so many Alpha Flight characters I just love (because that was a book I loved so much). Talisman, Snowbird, Marrina... sheesh! Sounds like I need a Canadian branch of the FEARLESS DEFENDERS!

I'm sure she will appear at some point. I'm not joking. If you have a favorite lady of Marvel, she WILL be featured in the book at some point if I have half a chance. But she will not be the magic user of the group (at least not initially). That role is already claimed.

Flightpath07
02-01-2013, 05:56 AM
This book is getting a LOT of buzz!

Too bad about Cullen not being an Aurora fan, though.

I found this to be interesting...

Here's some "behind the scenes" stuff that's sort of applicable. In one of the early pitches, I broke the team down into different aspects. Each aspect had 2 or 3 possible characters associated with it. Here are the aspects, but I stripped the character names out as they may or may not apply to the team any longer!

• Leader – VALKYRIE
• Warrior – (I had 2 possibilities)
• Counselor – (I had 2 possibilities)
• Protector – (I had 2 possibilities)
• Huntress – (I had several possibilities listed here)
• Queen – (I had 3 possibilities)
• Healer - (I had one listed)
• Muse – (I had 3 possibilities listed)

Can anybody think of how a female Alpha Flight related character might fit into any of these categories?

Le Messor
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I could put Heather under almost all of those ('cept Healer and Counsellor).

• Leader – Heather
• Warrior – Diamond Lil
• Counselor – Persuasion
• Protector – Arachne
• Huntress – Nemesis
• Queen – Snowbird
• Healer - Aurora (sometimes)
• Muse – DreamQueen

... okay, some of those were a stretch...

~ Le Messor
Giles: It's a trick. They get inside my head and make me see things I want.
Xander: Then why would they make you see me?
Giles: Oh, right. Let's go.

Phil
12-08-2013, 07:30 PM
So, looking at Cullen's original planning for the series (http://www.cullenbunn.com/the-final-fate-of-fearless-defenders/), it looks like he considered Nemesis and Puck II for the team. Though both were dead at the time...

-K-M-
12-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Really? They seem like such an odd choice, as their pretty obscure

Flightpath07
12-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I see what you are saying Phil. Some may view your comment, and not read the article, and be misinformed, so....

It says "some possibilities for representatives of these aspects might include", which is to say that there were (at one point in Cullen's pre-writing of the series) 8 different categories that were wanted to be represented in the series, and different lists of possible heroes were pencilled in underneath each category for possible use; one character would have been chosen from each category, and both Nemesis and Puck II were listed under the Warrior category; had the story stayed on this path when written, chances were that we might have had one of these two former Alphans on the team.

On a side note, I can tell the writers were informed that the series was being cancelled a few issues back; you get that sense of "toss out character development and interaction, and just hurry up and wrap up the loose plot ends as quickly as possible", which i really really hate. Seems like all cancelled series get that way in the end. Instead of being 12 excellent issues, you get 8 excellent issues and 4 issues that are decreasingly worse and worse. And i don't blame the writers, when they are suddenly told that all their long-term plans have to be scrapped and they have to come up with a quick ending for the book, what are they to do?