PDA

View Full Version : GingrBeard's Fan Art

GingrBeard
06-16-2013, 09:39 PM
I have actually done a surprising amount of Alpha Flight fan art and finally decided to post it all in one spot. Ready? Go.

Flightpath07
06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Ready?

Yes.

Go.

What?! Go 'where'?!?

Ah, i see now.

Nice artwork, GB!

GingrBeard
06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks! My favourite is the Aurora one. It's also my most recent. Do you have a favourite?

Jason Eberly
06-18-2013, 06:49 AM
I like the first full Guardian one, and the Puck heads the most.

On an aside, the last headshot of the Guardian collection makes me think, "This is what Phil Collins would look like as Guardian."

Flightpath07
06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I really like the second of the full-body Guardian pictures, although I am wishing that his left leg was stretched out behind him as it sort of looks like he is standing on one leg? His facial expression is really great though, very full of angst.

Le Messor
06-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Love Deadpool's lines there! LoL!

Kim Lee
06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Love the artwork, especially Gaurdain. Kim

GingrBeard
07-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Love Deadpool's lines there! LoL! I thought it was fitting! I need to do more Alpha Flight art I think.

cmdrkoenig67
07-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Nice job, GB!

Dana

GingrBeard
09-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Sooo, I found a team photo in black and white and decided that I needed to make it in colour. It was also missing Guardian and Marrina, so I added them. Definitely my new desktop background along with an Alpha Flight logo for my start button haha.

Le Messor
09-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Ooh, I recognise that pic! It's an old promo... for... is it #12?

Jason Eberly
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
I think it was for #17...it said something like "Guardian is dead. Who will lead Alpha Flight?"

I'm gonna go for a wild stab in the dark and guess....Heather?

rplass
09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
That image is a mashup of a few other Alpha Flight images:

with Guardian and Marrina inserted.

Le Messor
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Of course! I skim-read "It was also missing Guardian and Marrina," and so got "Puck and Marrina", and wondered why Guardian would be there (post-death).

Wolverine's presence also confused me.

~ Le Messor
"Life is one fool thing after another. Love is two fool things after each other."

Alphan East
09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Love the colour team photo GingrBeard. Hope you don't mind, but I added something to it. My dream Alpha team will always include Box and Talisman. I know they weren't part of the original team, but they are still two of my favourites. :)

Flightpath07
09-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Love the colour team photo GingrBeard. Hope you don't mind, but I added something to it. My dream Alpha team will always include Box and Talisman. I know they weren't part of the original team, but they are still two of my favourites. :)

In that case, I am adding Wild Child, Beta Ray Bill, Deadpool, Venom, and Dr. Doom to mine. I'll spare you all the sight of my crayon-scribblings, and just let you imagine the awesomeness.

Le Messor
09-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Well, Jeffries was around when that picture was drawn, and we'd seen Elizabeth Twoyoungmen by then (if only as a child).

~ Le Messor
"Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgement difficult."
~ Hippocrates, Aphorisms, Section I

GingrBeard
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm not too big on Talisman but I LOVE Madison Jeffries. I just couldn't find a picture in a similar style that was clean enough to use.

GingrBeard
09-20-2013, 04:35 AM

My girlfriend is in school for concept art and one of her current projects is to come up with a comic book cover for an existing title. The one she chose was A+X and the Avenger she chose was Hawkeye and the X-Man (technically) she chose was Puck. Puck is her favourite character at the moment. Anyway, I came up with the idea of what if they were in a bar fight for their team up? She LOVED it. Here's my take on it with just Puck and Hawkeye. I'll post hers when it's done and with permission.

Flightpath07
09-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Three thumbs up, GingrBeard!

GingrBeard
09-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I shudder to think of what your third thumb is. ;)

GingrBeard
09-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Bam! So a little back story. Florence (my girlfriend) was given an assignment at school to make a comic book cover. She knew she wanted to do Marvel since she reads all of the comics I'm following and I only follow Marvel. To get the ball rolling, I asked who her favourite character is right now. She said Puck but she wanted to do multiple characters. Well, as some of you may know, Marvel has a series called A+X that puts 2 X-Men and 2 Avengers together in short story styled team-ups. Her favourite Avenger is Hawkeye. I came up with the idea of Hawkeye and Puck in a bar fight because I thought it was very fitting for their characters. The other two she chose is Storm and Thor, but she hasn't drawn them yet. She drew Puck and Hawkeye but got frustrated because some parts of Puck weren't working (the arm that's not punching and his face). While she was sleeping, I went back and redrew the entire thing, adding more detail and fixing whatever she thought wasn't working. When she woke up, she saw it and left me a note saying that it was perfect and then went off to school. Fast forward to today and I just finished cleaning up the lines for her so she can colour it. While she drew the background separately, I decided that I'd colour it just for fun to see how it turns out. Well, you let me know how you guys think it turned out. There will be one more version of this posted in here (her fully coloured/shaded version. She's much better at digital painting than I am, so get excited).

rplass
09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
I think it turned out great! You let your gf touch your Alpha Flight comics? I cannot imagine this. I don't think I would even let Phil touch my comics. Well, assuming he's sober..., oh, never mind.

Face and non-punching arm on Puck = came out great! Punching arm came out even better. Nice!

Phil
09-24-2013, 03:36 PM
... I'll just touch my own comics then... :(

Le Messor
09-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I'd let you touch my AF comics, Phil.

Flightpath07
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
... I'll just touch my own comics then... :(

I'd let you touch my AF comics, Phil.

There is something just So Very Wrong about these two statements...

GB, I am going to have to amend my three thumbs, and now give you a full five thumbs up! That's right, a complete handful of thumby goodness! Nicely done, sire!

GingrBeard
09-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Everyone ready? No? Too bad! Yes? Too b- AWESOME!

My girlfriend is amazing. Her name is Florence. She drew most of this (I helped with some parts as I mentioned in a previous post) but she did the rest. I present to you the finished copy of the A+X cover by Florence Young and James McCartney :)

rplass
09-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Hey that's great! I love how it came out in finished copy. Just great!

Flightpath07
09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Everyone ready? No? Too bad! Yes? Too b- AWESOME!

My girlfriend is amazing. Her name is Florence. She drew most of this (I helped with some parts as I mentioned in a previous post) but she did the rest. I present to you the finished copy of the A+X cover by Florence Young and James McCartney :)

*runs out of thumbs to hold up, and so just stares in awe*

GingrBeard
12-03-2013, 05:39 AM

Tonights doodles.

Flightpath07
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Whoa! I love the shocking revelations!

Madison Jeffries is a zombie! Guardian and Aurora are a secret couple! Puck has a Lanny MacDonald moustache! Polite Canadian Guardian loves disco moves!

Awesome!

rplass
12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm loving the cowl on Polite Guardian. Nice job! I love this stuff

GingrBeard
12-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Whoa! I love the shocking revelations!

Madison Jeffries is a zombie! Guardian and Aurora are a secret couple! Puck has a Lanny MacDonald moustache! Polite Canadian Guardian loves disco moves!

Awesome!

When I draw characters, I like to re-imagine them. Since Alpha Flight came out of the 70's, I thought it'd be appropriate if Guardian liked disco.

Flightpath07
12-04-2013, 06:35 AM
When I draw characters, I like to re-imagine them. Since Alpha Flight came out of the 70's, I thought it'd be appropriate if Guardian liked disco.

Hey, don't get me wrong...in spite of my not liking disco, i really do like the artwork.

GingrBeard
12-15-2013, 10:41 PM

So yeah... working on this. Going to see if I can turn it into a comic book cover entitled "Where'd Alpha Flight go?" XD

Flightpath07
12-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Oh! That's AWESOME!

GingrBeard
12-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Inspired by DancingDevil's thread!

Created my own character. While he doesn't have any powers, he is a member of Department H and is a field agent.

Le Messor
12-17-2013, 05:05 AM
He looks a little like Puck!

What's his name?

GingrBeard
12-17-2013, 05:48 AM
He looks a little like Puck!

What's his name?

Hal Frobisher. His last name is a reference to a character on the 90's buddy cop drama, Due South named Buck Frobisher who is an RCMP officer played by Leslie Nielsen. Due to Alpha Flight and Department H's frequent disagreements, sometimes leading to Alpha Flight going AWOL or Department H going against them, the government decided that the team would benefit from having a field agent among their ranks. Hal has the highest level of training and when it comes down to it, is very much by the book which still sometimes leads to disagreements between him and the rest of Alpha Flight, but he gets the job done.

ALSO!

Remember Heather and James Hudson's kid? She grew up and developed mutant powers. Which ones specifically? She has energy projection and can phase through any object. She also has minor flight abilities. Her code name is Wraith. Here is my design for her costume which I just started and finished right after Hal.

Le Messor
12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Cool. If he was played by Leslie Nielsen, it isn't the Due South TV series I'm thinking of; is it a movie?
(In the show, he had a white dog (probably a wolf, but it looked just like my dog at the time) and used to talk to his dead father - was he a ghost, or just a projection of a slightly mad mind? We don't know.)

~ Le Messor
"Man who falls in blast furnace is certain to feel overwrought."

GingrBeard
12-17-2013, 03:44 PM
I watched the entire show when I was little and it was coming out and again recently. Buck is played by Leslie Neilsen in the tv series. You're thinking of the Due South tv series, but the wrong character. The main character played by Paul Gross would be Guardian (James Hudson) I think. Especially if you look at the Fear Utself Alpha Flight series and compare it to his face.

Le Messor
12-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Oh, okay. That explains it. I didn't remember Leslie Neilsen being in it, though.

FloYo
12-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Hello good people of the internet!

Gingrbeard encouraged me to join your forum and post my fanart! (Actually, it's a design for maybe a new character to join Alpha Flight).
Introducing: Dream Catcher! Also known as Niabi Pamoon (Fawn Dream)

It's just a sketch. I might make a painting out of her some time later. Enjoy!

Mokole
12-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Welcome FloYo and nice art!

Flightpath07
12-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Nice! Moke, that's FloYo.

GingrBeard
12-23-2013, 05:46 PM
And FloYo is my girlfriend. She also did the bulk of the work on that Puck and Hawkeye page I posted earlier.

Flightpath07
12-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Double nice!

Le Messor
12-30-2013, 01:59 AM
That is a great drawing, FloYo. She looks like she'd fit into Byrne's Alpha Flight quite well.

~ Le Messor
MAN: "What's the idea putting your hand in my pocket?"
Chico: "Just a little mistake. I had a suit once looked just like that, and for a moment I thought those were my pants."
MAN: "How could they be your pants when I've got them on?"
Chico: "Well, this suit had two pair of pants."
~ Monkey Business

GingrBeard
01-23-2014, 02:20 AM
It's been a while since I drew anything Alpha Flight or worked on anything art related in general. Here it is. The start of me pushing to be a better artist, one of many new years resolutions. P.S. I wore that red Alpha Flight shirt that says "one of them will surely die" or something. Favourite shirt now...3363

Flightpath07
01-23-2014, 07:45 AM
It's been a while since I drew anything Alpha Flight or worked on anything art related in general. Here it is. The start of me pushing to be a better artist, one of many new years resolutions. P.S. I wore that red Alpha Flight shirt that says "one of them will surely die" or something. Favourite shirt now...3363

I'm pretty sure he is pointing at the guy to my left.

I like it!

GingrBeard
02-11-2014, 04:54 AM
The Toronto X-Men (https://www.facebook.com/TorontoXMen?fref=ts) are running a comic book cover contest. Whoever creates the best comic book cover using either traditional or digital art of your own wins. The voting will be done by the Toronto X-Men. The contest is for a "Marvel Prize Pack" which hasn't been described as anything other than that. The cover has to be X-Men related of course. This is my entry. I wanted to do a full Alpha Flight cover, but since they had their own title, I guess they'd technically be Alpha Flight and not X-Men related so I stuck with more X-Men while still including Guardian. This is easily the biggest thing I have ever drawn. I normally shy away from more than one character, technical things like robots and buildings and backgrounds in general, but pushed myself to do multiple buildings, the CN tower, a sentinel and multiple characters. What do you guys think? It's kind of rough in a lot of places, but I'm really proud of it, especially for colours and scale. The Sentinel was the weakest part of my drawing until the colours and editing happened and now it's probably the best thing on the page.

Anyway, the Toronto X-Men are a group of cosplayers who run regular events for multiple charities while in costumes. I've linked their facebook page at the start of this post.

Le Messor
02-11-2014, 05:52 AM
That's pretty cool.
Have you considered using instruments - say a French curve or an ellipse template - to get a smoother line on things like the Tower?

~ Le Messor
"All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand."

rplass
02-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Ok here are some criticisms but sent by an admirer of your work so don't get all RPLASS RAGE please!

I think the picture lost the concept of foreground/background. The figures in front fail as foreground figures for facing away from the reader, and the background figure, Storm, fails for being too small. The central element is the Sentinel, but he's so far away and has no sense of threat to him.

To improve, make the Sentinel scarier, attacking, moving, threatening, with hands up about to blast. Storm much bigger. Guardian and Cyclops a lot closer to the Sentinel and facing the reader. Make the foreground the characters and the background the Toronto skyline. If you're going to use a city skyline as a background, that's great but put in more buildings and more city. Finally, that mixed case text in Cyclops' speech bubble - change that to a hand drawn allcaps font or download a comic font and reprint it in all caps and with some ooomphasis. Refer to UXM #109 how JB put a speech bubble on the front cover of a comic and use that technique. Oh and add in more Alpha Flight members.

Le Messor
02-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Please take this as constructive criticism, but I agree with Rob. I'd also look at Alpha #43 - don't copy it, but be inspired by it - for ideas of how to get characters as big as Sentinels to interact with characters the size of, say, Northstar.

I might look at putting a more suspenseful speech bubble on the cover. The one you've got reminds me of AF (original series) #1, and that's cool - but that probably won't work on the Toronto X-Men. Try something that makes the heroes look like they're in danger.

Please note: we're being critical (again, constructively, I hope) because this is for a competition, and:
We want you to WIN!

Also, more Alphans! 8)

~ Le Messor
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

GingrBeard
02-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Thank you! Thank you! I'm an artist, I can take constructive criticism and even some advice and I thank you for all of it.

Some things are meant to be how they are, like the Sentinel not being scary. It's supposed to look like he's calling for help or is just dying slowly and pathetically. The sad expression and the out stretched arm indicates that for me and is further emphasized by the foregrounds characters lack or worrying and Cyclops saying that Storm's got it. The buildings? I used a ruler on the straight edges and fudged the perspective a bit. I'm new to drawing buildings and structures in general. I am more of a character kind of guy. Lately, I've decided to kick my own ass into doing bigger, better things and this is the result. This is the baby, the first steps to getting better. I am taking on buildings, large characters and multiple characters in one scene. The perspective on the lit up building on the left is off. The lights don't follow it correctly, instead they keep to the same view all of the way down the building and I know that when I drew it. Something to work on for next time. Hopefully there won't be a dead line. Another issue I know exists is that building in between Cyclops, Guardian and the sentinel. I didn't add windows so it just kind of looks awkward. Next time, I'll remove anything like that and clear a line of sight and see how that works.

Honestly, I don't think I'll win because there are a few people who actually go to school for this stuff who are entering but it isn't about winning for me, it's about having an excuse to push myself a little more. Thanks for the advice guys.

Le Messor
02-12-2014, 05:08 AM
The instruments were more for the saucer section.

Why in particular were you going for a vulnerable Sentinel idea? Sounds like a cool idea.

~ Le M
"Half the people you know are below average."

GingrBeard
02-26-2014, 02:13 AM
The instruments were more for the saucer section.

Why in particular were you going for a vulnerable Sentinel idea? Sounds like a cool idea.

~ Le M
"Half the people you know are below average."

You always see them looking either terrifying or destroyed. I wanted to go for something a little funnier. The tone was supposed to be kind of light. You have a giant sentinel that is normally scary and it looks like Storm is just toying with it and both Guardian and Cyclops don't seem to care that it's there by their calm poses and Cyclops' dialogue.

P.S. Florence, my girlfriend, won the contest :) By the looks of the other covers, I'd be in at second but maybe that's just me. That Wolverine one is an awesome drawing (better than mine even) but not very cover like in my opinion. Here's a link to the covers that were submitted. Florences is the X-Men in a band. Clicky! (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.257510651093096.1073741840.101650833345746&type=1)

Anyway, thank you all for the feedback and let me know which covers you would have voted for and in what order. BE HONEST!

Le Messor
02-26-2014, 03:53 AM
I could see the Wolverine one as a cover. It's not to my taste, but it's well done.

I'd vote:
X-Babies
Wolverine
yours and Florence's are about even
and the Gt-Size X-Men #1 tribute last. (I'm not counting B&W vs colour as two different covers.)

The trouble I'm having is, yours and Florence's are more to my taste than the Wolverine, but not as well-done. Makes it hard to decide. I gave it to the slightly better skill, though - which you yourself admit to.
I only looked at the thumbnails.

~ Le Messor
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Flightpath07
02-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Deadpool shreds! \m/ - lol. Anything with Deadpool on lead guitar has my vote!

I'd agree with you, GB; based on those artistic works, I would definitely put your Vulnerable Sentinel in 2nd place.

rplass
02-26-2014, 07:37 AM
I would vote:
1st place: the one with Guardian
2nd place: artistic Wolverine pose
3rd place: everything else

GingrBeard
02-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Wow! Such varied opinions. This is definitely refreshing to see. Also, I'm flattered that you consider Florence and I on a similar level. I have one year of school and she's finishing her third. Anyway, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate that you all actually have opinions. So nice to see.

DIGGER
02-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow! Such varied opinions. This is definitely refreshing to see. Also, I'm flattered that you consider Florence and I on a similar level. I have one year of school and she's finishing her third. Anyway, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate that you all actually have opinions. So nice to see.

Oh we all have opinions, trust me. (A word of advice though, don't let Florence in on the "similar level" thing or you may be sucking up for awhile :-$)

GingrBeard
02-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Oh we all have opinions, trust me. (A word of advice though, don't let Florence in on the "similar level" thing or you may be sucking up for awhile :-$) Haha naw, she acknowledges that I'm better in some area's but not in most. She wouldn't be offended.

Le Messor
02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I graded them too soon. I've given it some more thought, and:
1. The superdeformed ones. Because it's so cute.
2. Yours. Because of Guardian content.
3. Florence's. Because, awesome!
4. The Wolverine. Well-drawn, but boring.
5. Gt-Sized. It's been done, and better.

I decided to vote with my own tastes rather than judging skill, because I'm sick of people making (comics) I don't like because somebody somewhere says 'that's what good stuff is', rather than caring about what's enjoyable.

~ Le Messor
"Maturity is only a short break in adolescence."
~ Jules Feiffer

GingrBeard
04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah! Someone tried to tell me that Hawkeyes current run in the comics has terrible art. We all have our opinions, but MAN... nothing is particularly wrong with the art and it suits the comics tone.

GingrBeard
07-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Drew Northstar in Photoshop using some very quick technique that I love. Not particularly popular, but it gets the job done and not too badly either. This is just a part of a poster I've been commissioned to do. The person said Marvel characters and didn't specify, so I chose X-Men to deliver the expected heroes, but also so I could add an Alphan or two. ;)

Flightpath07
07-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Drew Northstar in Photoshop using some very quick technique that I love. Not particularly popular, but it gets the job done and not too badly either. This is just a part of a poster I've been commissioned to do. The person said Marvel characters and didn't specify, so I chose X-Men to deliver the expected heroes, but also so I could add an Alphan or two. ;)

Cool!

Le Messor
07-10-2014, 05:44 AM

Alpha-ing by stealth! I like it!

GingrBeard
11-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Been a while since I posted on this website, but I definitely haven't forgot about it! Thought I'd redo my old Guardian/Vindicator/Mac model that I did a while ago. In fact, it was my first ever 3D model using that particular program. I've definitely improved!

rplass
11-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Oh and a new icon as well. That's an awesome 3D model of Guardian. Love it!

Le Messor
11-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah, that's really well done! Congratulations!

Beulah
10-21-2019, 05:24 AM
Congratulations! love it.