PDA

View Full Version : Justice League Canada!?

maniac mike
08-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Check this out...

http://www.newsarama.com/18751-justice-league-canada-in-2014-jla-moves-north-of-the-border.html

Mokole
08-23-2013, 12:42 PM
We'll see what comes of it. I doubt this will be bad. Adam Strange?

Flightpath07
08-23-2013, 05:08 PM
AAAAAAAhhhhhhhh!

Y! E! S!

Woo-hoo!

No, really, sounds awesome; i'm in!

-K-M-
08-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh that's awesome and the writer is awesome. So in

DIGGER
08-23-2013, 11:20 PM
If this does work maybe Marvel will give Alpha another shot (I would even be willing to have a "popular marvel character" join the team----and no this doesn't mean that it has to be Wolverine). Hope it doesn't suck.

-K-M-
08-23-2013, 11:26 PM
I have my doubts it will work, as even Justice League International only lasted 12 issues. Hopefully it well

after3
08-24-2013, 09:12 AM
DC's answer to alpha flight is The justice league of Canada? This is great news. Lately Marvel seems to be following every move DC makes.(on the publishing side anyway) If this thing sells and it's the justice league, so how could it not? It's only a matter of time before Marvel dusts off there Canadian characters. Tweet that link, post it on your facebook, blog, youtube about it and pre order guys. It's our job to make this thing a success. a3

Alphan East
08-24-2013, 12:39 PM
OK, I'm officially curious. Never been much of a DC fan, but I will definitely give this one a shot.
Something about the comment made in the news report ("This is still very much set in the regular Justice League universe and the team will still have some of the bigger named superheroes, but they will actually be located in Canada now, and there will be a couple of new members who are Canadian.") is making me a little nervous though... I wouldn't want this to simply be another "Omega Flight" type thing with American heroes landing in Canada and calling itself a Canadian team. Back in the late '80s when the X-Men had their "Fall of the Mutants" story arc, they moved to Australia... but that didn't make it an Australian team.
Let's hope this works and maybe causes Marvel to rethink Alpha Flight's value as a series.

Mokole
08-24-2013, 05:55 PM
No, it won't be a Canadian team, just a Justice League team moving their HQ to Canada (Toronto) to get away from Amanda Waller. Adam Strange is now a Canadian scientist, Green Arrow, the new Green Lantern, Vibe, Catwoman, and others, with a new Canadian hero.

Flightpath07
08-24-2013, 06:03 PM
No, it won't be a Canadian team, just a Justice League team moving their HQ to Canada (Toronto) to get away from Amanda Waller. Adam Strange is now a Canadian scientist, Green Arrow, the new Green Lantern, Vibe, Catwoman, and others, with a new Canadian hero.

So you are saying that Justice League of America is being replaced by Justice League of Canada?

I have been buying the former since it's newest conception, and wasn't aware (hadn't heard) that it was ending. Although it has been an interesting series, Amanda Waller's influence gave it its dark feel; without her, will this book feel ANYTHING like it has?

The one bad thing about JLofA has been its lack of characterization. Its been hard to care about the characters, because none of them have been focused on; if yuo aren't getting the heroes' individual books, then you still don't really know who they are at all. Hopefully, this aspect will change.

Talk of a young/teen Canadian hero, somebody new, making it onto the team, is both exciting, and makes me wary. Teenagers are all fine and dandy in comics, but don't usually fare well in a book packed with adults (technically, i think Vibe is a teenager too, but not sure how his heritage/background will mesh with being in Canada...). Besides, if they are adding Canadian heroes, I'd rather see DC use (make up) an iconic figure to proudly represent the great white north, a la Guardian with Marvel.

I'm very hopeful about all of this; and I will definitely be picking it up. But only time will tell if this is an abject failure, or something to be proud of that lives on.

Flightpath07
08-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm just gonna throw a roster out there, just cuz I can:

- Black Canary (team leader)
- Booster Gold
- Green Lantern (Simon Baz)
- Star Girl
- Adam Strange
- Hawkgirl
- Ice
- Amazing Man
- Superboy
- _______ (new Canadian teen hero)

Mokole
08-24-2013, 08:49 PM
I think Green Arrow, Simon Baz, Vibe, Catwoman, Strange, new guy, Hawkman, Katana, Stargirl, I don't think Canary or Hawkgirl will be involved with them but the other JL.

Flightpath07
08-25-2013, 08:55 AM
I think Green Arrow, Simon Baz, Vibe, Catwoman, Strange, new guy, Hawkman, Katana, Stargirl, I don't think Canary or Hawkgirl will be involved with them but the other JL.

"Lemire told the paper that it was all Dan DiDio, and it spins out of Forever Evil. “As a result of that, without spoiling any of that story, there will be major changes in the Justice Leagues, and in the spring, the current Justice League of America team goes through a dramatic change and some of the pieces that are left behind will evolve into this new Justice League Canada team” and that a new character would be “a real Canadian teenager. That’s what I’m really after with that” and that one of the characters would be Adam Strange.

But a Canadian Adam Strange." ` from http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/23/dc-comics-to-publish-justice-league-canada-jeff-lemire/

Moke, what you listed sounds basically EXACTLY the lineup from JLA, which doesn't seem to fit with the "major changes in the Justice Leagues", or "some of the pieces that are left behind" that Jeff Lemire mentions in the quote.

Le Messor
08-27-2013, 06:10 AM
The one bad thing about JLofA has been its lack of characterization. Its been hard to care about the characters, because none of them have been focused on;

I've had that problem with the incarnations I read, too.

I'm intrigued by this series. I suspect I'll forget to pick it up, but we'll see...

~ Le Messor
"Look afar and see the end from the beginning."

Flightpath07
09-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Further on this

As for the rest of the line-up, it will be built from the "pieces left behind" of the current Justice League of America team after the "Trinity War" storyline and the Forever Evil event that thoroughly dismantles the team. In "Trinity War," many of the heroes have a newly-seeded distrust of the American government due to A.R.G.U.S. and Amanda Waller's manipulation of their characters and lives. Lemire promises it's a "dream team" combining A-listers and obscure heroes alike.

Sounds like we will be seeing the characters come from all of the different Justice League titles. I would imagine this is one of those defining, shuffle-the-deck-chair moments, where all the teams drop and add characters. Trinity War is supposed to have some major ramifications on the Justice Leagues, while Forever Evil affects EVERY comic series DC has going (at least for one month, anyways). Should be interesting to see how it all plays out, roster-wise.

Le Messor
09-02-2013, 06:40 AM
It's starting to sound like one of those conspiracy-theory evil government comics, like v2, that became so popular when The X-Files was running.

~ Le Messor
"Life is like a diaper - short and loaded."

Flightpath07
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, if you don't know, JL of A was put together as a deterrent to JL. Amanda Waller (and her begrudged right-hand man, Steve Trevor) have put together a team whose real sole purpose is to be able to take down the Justice League when (not if, but when) they go rogue. Most of the members of the JLA have no idea that this is their purpose, although some do.

Flightpath07
09-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey, is there any hope that somebody who works at DC is a member of this site (or frequent visitor)? Would be nice to think that they might be inclined to check us out, see if we couldn't give them some tidbits of wisdom in how to (possibly) make a superhero team based in Canada, work.

Oh, and if any DC employees ARE on this site...Justice League Canada full-size, full-colour poster, please! Yes, full colour; let's even include those bright and shiny colours that Mik likes! :)

Le Messor
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
see if we couldn't give them some tidbits of wisdom in how to (possibly) make a superhero team based in Canada, work.

Wouldn't they just say if we knew how to make a superhero team based in Canada work, why doesn't Alpha Flight have a series? :(

Oh, and if any DC employees ARE on this site...Justice League Canada full-size, full-colour poster, please! Yes, full colour; let's even include those bright and shiny colours that Mik likes! :)

Bright colours? What new spore of madness is this?

~ Mik
"Life is one long struggle in the dark."

Phil
09-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Wouldn't they just say if we knew how to make a superhero team based in Canada work, why doesn't Alpha Flight have a series? :(

Plus let's face it, we can never all agree on something.

Le Messor
09-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree.

Flightpath07
09-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Plus let's face it, we can never all agree on something.

Yes we can.

I agree.

Okay, well, not with this, but still...yes we can!

Flightpath07
11-02-2013, 08:09 AM
FINALLY, some more news! And exciting news it is!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/10/justice-league-canada-to-introduce-young-cree-superheroine/

Le Messor
11-02-2013, 04:11 PM
She's from a long line of Cree heroes...
Is her name going to be Talisman?

(Yes, I know it's the wrong tribe.)

~ Le Messor
"Love thy neighbor as thyself, but choose thy neighborhood wisely."
~ paraphrase of Louise Beal

Flightpath07
11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
A nicely-written and informative article here;

http://www.themarysue.com/jef-lemire-new-canadian-female-superhero/

And some interesting musings on all things Canadian, as relates to this coming series:

http://www.popcults.com/justice-league-canada-some-likely-appearances/

http://www.popcults.com/justice-league-canada-some-even-likelier-appearances/

http://www.popcults.com/justice-league-canada-some-likely-adversaries/

Mokole
11-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Hope she's a good, strong character, not a throwaway. Staying power.

Flightpath07
11-20-2013, 08:03 AM
DC also has a character named Blue Jay, not used in a long time (nor since the DC universe reboot); would be a fitting Canadian character.

Phil
01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
So, DC editorial have gone back on their plans for this: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50343

Flightpath07
01-17-2014, 06:47 AM
So, DC editorial have gone back on their plans for this: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50343

Hm.

At least the team has some heavy hitters.

Would I prefer that they had kept their original title? Yes. However, if changing the title (and some of the settings) allows DC to keep this series going longer, and still plays nice in the new Canadian sandbox, then i'll be okay with the change.

Depends on the writing, of course, and how much (hopefully very little) editorial interference there is from the DC bigwigs (shudder!), but I am still willing to give it a shot. They are going to need to wow me with their Canadian content, however, as I am not (and rarely if ever have been) a fan of comics set in space...

This quote...

Other characters will come into the book, as well, like a teenage hero from the Northern Ontario location the team will be based.Lemire isn't skimping on research, having recently spent six months in the area to make it and the characters authentic.

...from here http://www.newsarama.com/20072-jeff-lemire-s-justice-league-united-to-split-time-between-canada-outer-space.html , however, have me still feeling good about this one.

Also, this
aims to put a renewed focus on United's characters and their interactions so they're not overshadowed by plot and action. from here http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/01/16/justice-league-united-comic-book-series/4529613/ sounds promising as well.

This
http://www.superherohype.com/news/287543-dc-announces-new-series-justice-league-united-to-debut-in-april also makes it sound like perhaps the title name change has saved this comic from being more of a mini-series to something that has a planned long run.

Tawmis
01-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Justice League Canada, if you have not heard, to my understanding, has been renamed to Justice League United.

Flightpath07
01-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Look up two posts above yours, Tawmis.

Chris
01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
I've already been reading JLA since issue 1 and enjoying the current Stargirl / Martian Manhunter arc so I will keep buying it when Lemire relaunches the book. Not familiar with Adam Strange. I've only been reading DC books since the New 52 launch. He's got some Canadian red and white on his costume. Does that make him the new leader of the team?

Just because a book is based in Canada doesn't necessarily mean I will buy it. On the Marvel side, the Uncanny X-Men title is set in Canada but I am not buying it anymore. You would think Scott's team would run into Alpha Flight soon, but with Bendis writing the book, I think I shall not wish for that right now. BTW, did they ever reveal what city and province this former Weapons X facility is located at?

Mokole
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Unless they changed it in this storyline it's in Northern Alberta. I'd imagine that'd stay the same.

Flightpath07
01-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Not familiar with Adam Strange. I've only been reading DC books since the New 52 launch. He's got some Canadian red and white on his costume. Does that make him the new leader of the team?

Adam Strange was a scientist/adventurer who travelled through space with the use of boom-tubes. In the New 52, JLU # 0 will be his first appearance.

He has Canadian red and white, yes. In the New 52, he IS Canadian. Not sure if the colours are by chance, or on-purpose.

New leader? Doubtful, although it sounds like he will be rather important. I'd expect that Martian Manhunter will be the team's unofficial leader; his mental powers make him the obvious choice.

It is an interesting lineup. Although Green Arrow doesn't seem to fit real well with the space-y theme. Nor the new Canadian aboriginal hero they are creating, either. I guess those two characters will help keep the team "grounded" during their adventures on Canadian soil.

After all the research Lemire has done on Canada, and all the excitement he has had about doing a team book based there, I hope the team doesn't up and move somewhere else after 7 or 8 months...

Chris
01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Unless they changed it in this storyline it's in Northern Alberta. I'd imagine that'd stay the same.

Thanks Mokole.

After all the research Lemire has done on Canada, and all the excitement he has had about doing a team book based there, I hope the team doesn't up and move somewhere else after 7 or 8 months...

If the team moves back to the states, it would probably be a DC editorial decision and not Lemire's.

I hope JLU #0 has 13 variant covers, one for each province and territory just like JLA 1 had 52 variant covers for the states.

Le Messor
01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Just because a book is based in Canada doesn't necessarily mean I will buy it.

Yes - my love for Alpha Flight is a love for John Byrne's series, not everything that was ever set in Canada. I like the idea of Canada, but I've never even been there. :(
(This isn't me begrudging others, though, who WILL buy any series set in Canada.)

Adam Strange was a scientist/adventurer who travelled through space with the use of boom-tubes.

He's also the only applicant for a doctorate who was ever refused on copyright grounds.
That was a joke.

~ Le Messor
Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
Homer: Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!

Flightpath07
01-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Just because a book is based in Canada doesn't necessarily mean I will buy it.

I guess the same can be said for me. I didn't even know Uncanny was hanging out in Canada. Now that I know...still not gonna touch it. I generally buy series for the characters within, and the way the writer writes said characters. Being set in Canada, or having Canadians on the team, is just a bonus. But one that I appreciate.

Flightpath07
01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50317

Aw, man!

Dc is really starting annoy me, now. Stop cancelling all the series that I am enjoying!

Le Messor
01-20-2014, 02:23 PM
They've always had a turbulent career.

Chris
01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
I didn't read Teen Titans, the Ravagers, or Legion of Super-Heroes, but I did enjoy the Young Justice comic until DC ended it last February. It was one of the few fun books DC produced.

Flightpath07
01-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I thought both Teen Titans and Ravagers were excellent, same with Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. ; all cancelled, of course. Grrrrr!

Chris
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I also forgot to mention that All-New X-Men is now set in Canada since the O5 X-Men joined Cyclops's team after that Battle of the Atom crossover.

Once thing that always perplexed me. In AF v1, that huge Dept H Alpha Flight headquarters was built in Toronto starting around issue 91 and completed in issue 97. Then in AF v2, the Dept H Alpha Flight HQ building was now located in Ottawa. Did General Clarke have the building teleported to Ottawa? Or did Dept H build a second HQ building? And whatever happened to it after Alpha Flight was killed off? Is there a giant 'For Lease' sign on the building now?

Flightpath07
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Chris, its just government squandering. Likely sitting empty, with the government (meaning, the people through the taxes) paying for it for the next 50 or 60 years. "Hey, I know that this fine building we are in is not even remotely paid for, but wouldn't it be great to build another somewhere else and move into it?!"

Le Messor
01-22-2014, 05:22 AM
It's the Marvel Universe. I'm still open to the teleportation idea.

Flightpath07
01-22-2014, 06:50 AM
It's the Marvel Universe. I'm still open to the teleportation idea.

Canada cannot even get a working submarine for our navy; I'd shudder to think where we'd be with teleportation!

Le Messor
01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Can't get a working submarine?
I thought that was just us.

Don't, like, half of Weapon X or Weapon K or whatever teleport? Along with every villain in the 90s? (Or at least know a teleporter?)

~ Le Messor
"Marital status: single. Unmarried. Unengaged. Uninvolved. No commitments."
~ allegedly from a job application

Chris
01-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Canada cannot even get a working submarine for our navy; I'd shudder to think where we'd be with teleportation!

I think the West Edmonton Mall sent their 4 submarines to the scrap heap 2 years ago.

Can't get a working submarine?
I thought that was just us.

Don't, like, half of Weapon X or Weapon K or whatever teleport? Along with every villain in the 90s? (Or at least know a teleporter?)

Weapon K? You mean the secret Department K project? I know Tigerstryke's electro-magnetic suit was based on Guardian's suit so I figure he can teleport.
Not sure about the other members of Department K / Weapon PRIME. It's one thing to teleport yourself and another person but I don't think Guardian, or Vindicator, or TigerStryke can teleport an 85 story building from Toronto to Ottawa.

Flightpath07
01-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't really tend to count what Mac does as teleportation...since he has little-to-no control over where he ends up. He just stops rotating within the Earth's atmosphere, that's all.

Le Messor
01-23-2014, 04:32 AM
You know, I think I did mean Department K.

Mac's power is basically just going really, really fast. Not quite teleportation.

I'd still love to see him try it on and 85-storey building.

~ Le Messor
"Mass-Transit Existentialism: When a train breaks down, well, there you is. When a plane breaks down, well, there you ain't."
~ in The Delaney Sisters: Their First 100 Years

Flightpath07
01-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Mac's power is basically just going really, really fast. Not quite teleportation.

Disagree. He's not going fast, he isn't going at all. Everything else is going. He actually is going so slow as to be stopped.

Le Messor
01-24-2014, 03:58 AM
Hence the phrase 'basically'.

Flightpath07
01-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Hence the phrase 'basically'.

Hm. Okay, I'll give you points for that one.

Chris
01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Basically I should have suggested someone who can actually teleport like Shaman, Talisman, Nemesis, Witchfire, Manikin/Highbrow or Pathway.

I think Steven Seagle retconned their location from Toronto to Ottawa but I do like Flightpath's answer that the Canadian government likes to waste money and built a second Dept H building in Ottawa. I do know the Toronto building had 85 floors. The Ottawa building had at least 66 floors because the Director resided on the 66th floor. Maybe a certain Loki knows the answer.

Le Messor
01-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Y'know, I don't think of Shaman as a teleporter, but you're absolutely right - he can.

Maybe they only had 47 floors, but they called it the 66th because Kool-Aid Man is red.
Hmm... 66th floor? Do you suppose they went with that because the 666th floor would be too ridiculous?

~ Le Messor
"The world is made up of people who never get into the first team and who just miss the prizes at the flower show."
~ Jacob Bronowski

Sypes
01-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I also don't think as Pathway as a "teleporter" (i.e. to teleport anywhere on Earth), but rather as a dimensional transporter. Doesn't she open portal to dimension? To me, Alpha Flight's teleporter is Manikin's Highbrow.

Le Messor
01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I agree about Pathway, too; but technically she can.

Although, to be fair to Chris, he didn't call any of those people teleporters; just said they can teleport.

~ LM
"Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!"
~ Monty Python

Flightpath07
01-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Although, to be fair to Chris, he didn't call any of those people teleporters; just said they can teleport.

Y'know, I find that interesting.

As I ponder this statement, something comes to mind...

...don't you have to BE a teleporter, in order to teleport? (Not be teleported by somebody else, but teleport yourself)

Or, don't you have to BE a runner, in order to run?

I could go on, but won't.

LM, I know you were just clarifying what Chris did and did not say. I'm just thinking out loud; that the very act of teleporting makes one a teleporter (even if only a one-time one).

Ahab
01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Or, don't you have to BE a runner, in order to run?

LM, I know you were just clarifying what Chris did and did not say. I'm just thinking out loud; that the very act of teleporting makes one a teleporter (even if only a one-time one).

I would say absolutely not. I am capable of running for a short distance (and I do mean SHORT distance), but I by no means would ever call myself a "runner", especially to my friends that train for the Boston Marathon.

Le Messor
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Yes, as Ahab is getting at - being a runner or a teleporter means it's something you do habitually; something you do enough that it, in part at least, defines you. Something you do occasionally, or just once, or are simply capable of (I'd say) doesn't make you a that-thinger.

~ Le Messor
"A house is a machine for living."
~ Buckminster Fuller

Flightpath07
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Ah, i see. You all are thinking of the word "teleporter" as a Title. I'm thinking of it merely as in, teleport is a verb, therefore when you teleport you are a teleporter.

And again, by my simplistic way of thinking, when i am running, I am a runner. The very act of doing something, means that I am a person who does that thing (as I am doing it).

Apologies if i sidetracked anyone with my logic. My ADD really does get me fixated on some weird stuff at times.

Le Messor
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Yes, your use of the suffix is also perfectly cromulent.

ADD makes you fixated? I kinda thought it'd do the opposite.

Flightpath07
01-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Cromulent? A Simpson's reference?

Well, ADD is the only thing i have been ...wait, i got sidetracked, what was i saying?...oh yeah, onyl thing I have been formally diagnosed with. My kid has Aspergers and ADD, and since they are both hereditary...

Jason Eberly
01-27-2014, 03:22 AM
cromulent? A simpson's reference?

Well, add is the only thing i have been ...wait, i got sidetracked, what was i saying?...oh yeah, onyl thing i have been formally diagnosed with. My kid has aspergers and add, and since they are both hereditary...

...squirrel!

(Hey...I finally achieved Alpha Flight status!!)

Chris
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't call Shaman a teleporter since that is not his main power but he has cast teleportation spells on himself and on the team. For example, see AF issues 12, 24, 27, 35, 45, 110, 125, 126, etc. Last time I remember Shaman teleporting the entire team was in AF 4 vol 4.

I feel this topic is getting off track. I just want to know if there are 2 Dept HQ AF buildings or did Seagle retcon its location from Toronto to Ottawa.

Jason Eberly
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Considering the title of this thread is "Justice League Canada?", I'd say discussing how many Dept. H's there are is also pretty off track.

But until it is explained as otherwise...yes, there are two Dept. H buildings.

Flightpath07
01-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Considering the title of this thread is "Justice League Canada?", I'd say discussing how many Dept. H's there are is also pretty off track.

But until it is explained as otherwise...yes, there are two Dept. H buildings.

Actually, no, there aren't two. There is only one, and it exists inside Shaman's medicine pouch. As does the entire universe. See, Shaman isn't a teleporter, he's a hoarder.

And...welcome to Alpha Flight, Jason Eberly! :)

Oh, and technically, there IS no topic, as Justice League Canada does not exist either.

Chris
01-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Sorry, I mean discussing who can teleport and who is a teleporter. None of the Alphans I mentioned earlier have every teleported a building with them. I doubt even Azazel or Nightcrawler or Pixie or Blink or Magik or Spiral or Gateway or whoever could teleport an 85 story building. Ah, ignore me. I was feeling grouchy when I wrote that.

(Hey...I finally achieved Alpha Flight status!!)

Congrats Jason to you joining the ranks of Alpha Flight.

~ Puck
"New name? Hey I busted my buns to be in Alpha Flight. I wanna be in Alpha Flight!!"
~ (do I even need to mention where this quote is from)

Jason Eberly
01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Actually, no, there aren't two. There is only one, and it exists inside Shaman's medicine pouch. As does the entire universe. See, Shaman isn't a teleporter, he's a hoarder.

Well, since he can move his bag around and release things from it at different locations, would that make him a telehoarder?

And...welcome to Alpha Flight, Jason Eberly! :)

Thanks! I think I'll black out all the windows of the unused HQ and throw a massive rave in celebration! Just don't tell Wyre...he's always such a downer at these get togethers.

Oh, and technically, there IS no topic, as Justice League Canada does not exist either.

Maybe the Canadian government can rent out the unused HQ to the Justice League United when they're in town?

Flightpath07
04-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Couple days ago, I caught the end of a cool segment on the national news here, about Jeff's involvement in bringing Justice League to Canada, about how he went and physically scouted the building that he would make their headquarters in the book, and showing him travelling around to native schools in the area, introducing his new native hero (and introducing the real live girl that she was based on) to them and encouraging them in their storytelling saying that maybe some of them will be inspired to grow up to tell superhero stories and whatnot. it was pretty awesome.

Chris
04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
So did anyone else besides me pick up Justice League United #0 today? I thought it was a wonderful start for this new series.

Flightpath07
04-24-2014, 07:32 AM
So did anyone else besides me pick up Justice League United #0 today? I thought it was a wonderful start for this new series.

Nope, not yet. It'll be a week or more 'fore I get around to picking it up from my LCS.

Sypes
04-24-2014, 09:22 AM
I looked for it last week but it wasn't there yet, so def gonna go looking for it this weekend ;)

Flightpath07
04-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I looked for it last week but it wasn't there yet

Ha! i did the same thing!

Chris
04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Justice League of America 14 (final issue) was originally solicited for April 9 but got pushed back to May 21 the same week Forever Evil 7 is finally released. At least Justice League United 1 is on sale May 14. Only have to wait 3 more weeks for next issue!

Le Messor
04-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Wait... Justice League of America is only up to 14 issues? Hasn't the Nu52 been around longer than that? Or am I losing track again?

Chris
04-25-2014, 01:56 AM
You might be thinking of the main Justice League title which premiered at the end of August 2011. It is up to issue 29 now (if you don't count issue 0 and last September's villain issues.) The Nu52 Justice League of America premiered back in Feb 2013.

Flightpath07
04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
You might be thinking of the main Justice League title which premiered at the end of August 2011. It is up to issue 29 now (if you don't count issue 0 and last September's villain issues.) The Nu52 Justice League of America premiered back in Feb 2013.

Yup, that's correct.

Le Messor
04-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks, that does clear it up.

~ LM

Flightpath07
04-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks, that does clear it up.

~ LM

JLA was to be a foil, a fail-safe, for the regular JL. Kinda like how Batman (pre-Nu52) always had backup plans for what to do if members of the JL went rogue? Well, Amanda Waller came up with the JLA for the same reason. The JLA series had some decent characters, good potential...but it was as if the"set up" (you're here in case the JL goes bad) was there, but nobody bothered to come up with anything else. The plots really lacked, and it is a mercy-killing to end the series - and this is from somebody who collected this series and wanted it to do well.

JLU will be much better. Because, seriously, it can't be worse, it just CAN'T.

Le Messor
04-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Oh, I dunno. Every time I think things can't get worse, they find a way. :./

~ Le Messor

Flightpath07
05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi-jacking this thread over to this one - http://alphaflight.net/showthread.php?9430-Catch-the-Justice-League-United-wave!-(possibly-could-be-spoilery) - join me there!

Flightpath07
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/21566-dc-comics-full-october-2014-solicitations.html

Revealed - Canadian Variant cover for Justice League United # 5 is available.

Tawmis
07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
They've done the Canada variant for all the covers, as far as I am aware. I have the first and third.

Phil
07-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Is that because DC lost the nerve to actually call it Justice League Canada as originally intended?

Tawmis
07-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Is that because DC lost the nerve to actually call it Justice League Canada as originally intended?

Well, the first story arc is all in Canada (which is the first 5 issues). Beyond that, I don't know where the story goes. I am curious if they're going to keep doing variants - like Justice League Russia or something...

Phil
07-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but when it was first announced (see the start of the thread) the series was to be called Justice League Canada but DC flip-flopped on that decision, in much the same was Marvel flip-flopped on Volume 4 becoming an ongoing.

I'm not Canadian so it didn't bother me but the variants wouldn't be enough in my eyes to make up for that, if I were.

Le Messor
07-16-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm not Canadian so it didn't bother me but the variants wouldn't be enough in my eyes to make up for that, if I were.

Ditto.

(And, YOU taking the negative? Who are you, and what have you done with Phil?)

Phil
07-16-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm constructively negative when it's deserved.
I've just never been a pitchforks and torches guy.

Alphan East
07-16-2014, 07:44 PM

I can see it all now. :)

Le Messor
07-17-2014, 05:11 AM
I'm constructively negative when it's deserved.

Really? You should try a good pitchfork and torch some time. There's nothing quite like it.
Just a couple of months ago, I remember the fire, the serpents, the pitchforks... It was great!

I can see it all now. :)

Lol!

~ Le Messor
"There was fire and black cats and little guys poking me with pitchforks. I think I was in Heaven."
~ Homer

Flightpath07
07-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Yeah, but when it was first announced (see the start of the thread) the series was to be called Justice League Canada but DC flip-flopped on that decision, in much the same was Marvel flip-flopped on Volume 4 becoming an ongoing.

Well, I AM Canadian, and as a good Canadian I will take Something over Nothing...and say "thank you very much" ("thag you bery much") as I pay through the nose for it!

Currently, most superhero comics are American, in that the heroes and villains reside in America. A little love thrown to Canada? I'm in.

Besides, if Americans, for instance, distanced themselves to a Justice League Canada series, due to the word Canada in the title, and the book failed and folded early, that would suck. Whereas nobody is forcing anybody of any country of origin to buy the variant covers.

Still, does it bother me? Hell yeah, it does.

Le Messor
07-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Currently, most superhero comics are American, in that the heroes and villains reside in America.

Which is part of why Alpha was my series of choice in the first place!

~ Le Messor
"NASA Awards Acronym Generation System (AGS) Contract For Space Station Freedom"
~ Tom Neff

cmdrkoenig67
12-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I've always loved Alpha Flight for the characters and as underdogs...not because they're Canadian (even though I like Canadians in general) :D. It's pretty much why the only DC book I ever like to read is the Doom patrol, I love the characters and the sense of them being the underdog team. It's also why I used to to like the X-Men (in the 70s and 80s).

Dana

Mekko Hotvle
12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
I attempted to read JLC over thanksgiving break. going to stop at the 1st issue. just didn't get into it. I may try to at least read the rest of the arc but not in a hurry to find the issues. I did however read The Black Knight. that was a good one.