PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel (aka Guardian) in Green and Orange

swh_comicguy
11-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or referenced before, but this is the first time I'd come across this oddly coloured version of Sentinel (aka Guardian) from 1970-71 by JB.

http://johnbyrnedraws.tumblr.com/post/65798862748/vindicator-vs-captain-america-page-by-john-byrne

Phil
11-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Cheers for posting it here; I keep forgetting that not everyone's on twitter so can't see the things I post/retweet there.

Jason Eberly
11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
For some reason the picture makes me think of somebody from the Serpent Society...who, I'm not quite sure.

Chris
11-05-2013, 07:47 PM
For some reason the picture makes me think of somebody from the Serpent Society...who, I'm not quite sure.

Constrictor maybe? They both have the color orange.

Le Messor
11-06-2013, 03:53 AM
The irony is, in the 90s, Vindicator (Heather) did wear those colours.

~ Le Messor
"Luck: when preparation and opportunity meet."
~ Pierre Trudeau

Chris
11-06-2013, 07:00 AM
That's right. I forgot about Heather's green and orange geothermal suit.

Phil
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I got a Tiger Shark vibe from it, although he was purple and orange.

Garry/Al-Fan
11-07-2013, 04:26 PM
That's right. I forgot about Heather's green and orange geothermal suit.

Heather "died" wearing the green-and-orange geothermal suit in New Avengers # 16, but returned in Chaos War: Alpha Flight wearing the red-and-white suit...odd.

Flightpath07
11-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Heather "died" wearing the green-and-orange geothermal suit in New Avengers # 16, but returned in Chaos War: Alpha Flight wearing the red-and-white suit...odd.

Not really that odd, actually. Their bodies didn't rise up out of the grave, they stepped out of...the afterlife, i guess. Actually, i doubt they had been buried in their costumes, either.

Come to think of it, I'd like to see a scene where Alpha Flight is gathered around the grave-sites of those who died in NA16; that would be odd, and a fitting homage to the fact that nothing in comics really makes that much sense (except for the Red Skull - he makes TOTAL sense. And Stilt-Man.)

DIGGER
11-08-2013, 04:26 AM

I think he looks more like The Unicorn.

DIGGER
11-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Not really that odd, actually. Their bodies didn't rise up out of the grave, they stepped out of...the afterlife, i guess. Actually, i doubt they had been buried in their costumes, either.

Come to think of it, I'd like to see a scene where Alpha Flight is gathered around the grave-sites of those who died in NA16; that would be odd, and a fitting homage to the fact that nothing in comics really makes that much sense (except for the Red Skull - he makes TOTAL sense. And Stilt-Man.)

I actually drew a very rough draft for an Alpha burial scene...may have to find that in my pile somewhere. Also in regards to Heather in the reverse Guardian outfit, that may have been a way to represent her drive to honour Mac and still be her own person (either that or the artist thought it would look cool).

Le Messor
11-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Actually, i doubt they had been buried in their costumes, either. In Marvel Universe etiquette, superhero costumes are considered okay for formal wear - black tie events, court cases, weddings, funerals, ceremonies of all kinds. So they could well have been.

I am not making this up.
~ Le Messor
"Love is that condition in which another's happiness is essential to your own."

Phil
11-08-2013, 05:25 AM
When in doubt, magic is always the answer.

Le Messor
11-08-2013, 05:49 AM

Certainly worked on my algebra test.
http://math-fail.com/2011/09/the-elder-wand.html

(It's a pure coincidence that I'm listening to Harry Potter music right now.)

Flightpath07
11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

True.

Seriously, though...we saw an Alpha statue in Omega Flight. Wouldn't you think they would have had a gravesite for the fallen heroes of AF that fans and supporters would have come to, weeping?

I just think it'd be cool to see some of Alpha stop by such a place, look at their own graves, and give a little shudder.

Phil
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah, definitely some kind of public shrine, if not graves.

Jason Eberly
11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I think he looks more like The Unicorn.

I think it's a bit of The Unicorn and The Constrictor (which Chris brought up).

Jason Eberly
11-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Sooo...a wizard did it?

Jason Eberly
11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I just think it'd be cool to see some of Alpha stop by such a place, look at their own graves, and give a little shudder.

Or they could pour 40's onto their own graves.

Phil
11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Sooo...a wizard did it?
A wonderful wizard, it was.

DIGGER
11-08-2013, 10:21 PM
True.

Seriously, though...we saw an Alpha statue in Omega Flight. Wouldn't you think they would have had a gravesite for the fallen heroes of AF that fans and supporters would have come to, weeping?

Yeah but how many graves are there for Mac?

Flightpath07
11-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah but how many graves are there for Mac?

I'm not sure. Can they clone graves?

Le Messor
11-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure. Can they clone graves?

Yes, they can, but they come back… wrong… and somebody usually ends up regretting it.

~ Le Messor
Dawn: Lurk much?
Spike: I wasn't lurking, I was standin' about. It's a totally different vibe.

Mokole
11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Cloning graves? Not sure what Peter Graves would think of that.

Phil
11-12-2013, 05:33 AM
What ever we told him to think.

Le Messor
11-12-2013, 05:48 AM
We'd program it into his DNA.

Calbretto
11-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow, that is wild. I hadn't seen that artwork before. I love stuff like this.

As for Heather's green/white/gold suit… I actually like that look! It helped her stand out a bit from her husband.