PDA

View Full Version : Alphanex Development

Phil
03-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm beginning to do some tweaking to the Alphanex and integrating an appearances functionality that I've been wanting to have for this site since, well, since before the site itself.

It's not going to be how I originally envisioned it to be, but it's going to be the best way round it for now, especially since Ben isn't involved with the place at the moment.

It's going to be a very, very slow process so I apologize in advance.

Because of the amount of entries that will be entered I've hidden Alphanex posts from the 'Recent Forum Posts' widget on the main content home page, so you can actually see forum posts and not just Alphanex code.

I have left them in on the 'Recent Posts' widget on the Forum page. If this is how people access the forum and would prefer them removed from there, just let me know.

Hopefully this should all work and be a decent resource for us.

Le Messor
03-27-2014, 04:07 PM
I have left them in on the 'Recent Posts' widget on the Forum page. If this is how people access the forum and would prefer them removed from there, just let me know.

That's how I access the forum, and for now I'm content to have them left in.

I've just filled in some of the blanks on #109. It's a bit of a nuisance you have to specify which Uncanny X-Men you mean. :/
Also, I noticed the Classic X-Men version (is that going to have a separate entry? Especially considering it has Heather in it, which the original doesn't. edit: I've just noticed the answer to that question.) has three different letterers listed, but only two inkers. Odd. I'm guessing they had Terry Austin ink the extra pages.

~ Le Messor
"Misery loves company, but company does not reciprocate."

Le Messor
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Hey! I just realised I don't have an original Uncanny #121! Gah!

Flightpath07
03-27-2014, 04:40 PM

It's how I access as well. Like Mik, I don't mind.

Phil
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Question:
Are people concerned with Editors?
Has anyone ever gotten an Editor to sign a book they've edited?

I'm considering not Category-Tagging them, so that the Creator lists are purely for Writer, Penciller, Inker, Colorist and Letterer, so while they're still listed on the page they're not searchable?

-K-M-
03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Naaaaa....I really don't have any editors signed their work. Not saying their not important, but the artists and writers are the main thing people get signed.

Flightpath07
03-31-2014, 02:07 AM
Editors are only noticed when they get something wrong. I think they prefer their anonymity.

Le Messor
03-31-2014, 03:19 AM
If I had an Alpha book with me, and met the editor, and knew they were the editor, I'd probably get them to sign it.

~ LM
"Misfortune: The kind of fortune that never misses."

Phil
03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Another Question:
Are people concerned about cover creator credit links if an Alphan doesn't feature on it?

Le Messor
03-31-2014, 04:01 PM
TBH, I don't care much about covers either way. I'd suggest either do all the covers (where the artist is different to the interior art) or none.
But that's just my suggestion.

rplass
03-31-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm interested in cover creator credits even if an Alpha Flight member isn't on the cover. Especially for the variants but also for regular covers.

Phil
03-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Cool, cool. Just checking.

Phil
04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Right... the first few have started to pop up.

I haven't gone too much into detail with the chronology on the pages yet, and haven't added in the Summary but the basic skeleton of some pages are there to start with.

Flightpath07
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
They look great, Phil!

Phil
05-31-2014, 06:29 PM
For anyone doing any editing to pre-existing pages, after you've saved the page the URL will read:

http://alphaflight.net/showwiki/Alpha_Flight_1983_003?redirect=no

You'll need to delete the "?redirect=no" part so it reads:

http://alphaflight.net/showwiki/Category:Alpha_Flight_1983

else the page will effectively be invisible.

Le Messor
05-31-2014, 06:38 PM
That's probably aimed at me.
Thanks! I had noticed, and I had wondered how to fix it, and I had forgotten to ask.

Some people have actually called me reliable.

~ Le Messor
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
(said of Ernest Hemmingway)

Phil
05-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Not aimed at you specifically; you simply reminded me that I'd messed up by not mentioning it before.

Le Messor
05-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Not aimed at you specifically

Well, it should have been! I've been disappearing entries for the last week.
(And will need reminding again, I'm sorry to say.)

Flightpath07
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Well, it should have been! I've been disappearing entries for the last week.

Maybe you should start an "The Invisible Man" fanpage?

Le Messor
05-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Maybe you should start an "The Invisible Man" fanpage?

I am going to see Queen (what's left of them) in August... but somehow I doubt that song will be on their setlist.

Le Messor
06-07-2014, 06:38 PM
For anyone doing any editing to pre-existing pages, after you've saved the page the URL will read:

http://alphaflight.net/showwiki/Alpha_Flight_1983_003?redirect=no
You'll need to delete the "?redirect=no" part so it reads:

http://alphaflight.net/showwiki/Category:Alpha_Flight_1983

I've actually remembered to do this, but I don't know how. Where is that code written? How do I get to it?
I'm planning on changing AF #4-11, and Nemesis today; if you let me know how to change that properly, I'll be able to do something.

Thx,

~ Mik

Phil
06-07-2014, 06:59 PM
It's the Address Bar URL after you edit a page.

Le Messor
06-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Aha! Thanks.

I've just made that change to everything I've done today so far (still working on it!).

~ Le Messor