Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy Movie (Will Aim For Spoilery Freeness!)

Default Guardians of the Galaxy Movie (Will Aim For Spoilery Freeness!)

So I just saw the 7am showing tonight.
    I would like to say it was a perfect movie.
    However, the English language does not possess a word that explains when something goes beyond perfection.
    Seriously.
    This movie will make your cry, it will make you laugh, it will make you stand up and cheer!
    EVERY character was so well written. EVERY actor delivered their best. Every bit of dialogue, every bit of action, so woven with something beyond perfection.
    Avengers was my favorite movie, until Captain America 2 (which took over, because I thought EVERY character shined there). Sadly, Captain America 2 has been dethroned by a movie superior to it in every regard. And that is saying something.
    Go see it. This weekend. Sit with the crowd. Be a part of something amazing. Don't wait until it dies down. Be immerse with the joy of those around you. Experience it. Live it. Seriously. Do it. This coming from someone who has a strong dislike of crowds!
    #YoureWelcome

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hey, Tawmis!
    HEY! How dare you post this thread?

... before I did.

I just got back from seeing it, and was just coming onto Alpha Waves to start this very thread here.

Is this movie as awesome as the trailers would have you believe?
    In a word: yes.

It was awesome! I loved it! I want to tell everyone I know!

... but, Mik, you never say anything is perfect. What are your nitpicks?

Uh... Okay.

Sorry Tawmis, I did have a couple of nits with it.
    It was too dark. I'm using dark here in the literal sense... I don't dare attempt a metaphor. Almost throughout, it was physically underlit.
    Xandar was bright, but it was the only part that was.

Speaking of Xandar:
    The Nova Corps; there was something off about their portrayal. I'm hesitant to say what on a spoiler-free thread, but they could be disappointing to Nova fans.

Yondu.
    Their Yondu sucked. He was more than the cameo I'd been led to believe, a lot more; but he was nothing like the Yondu in the comics. Okay, he was a blue man, and controlled an arrow through whistling; but he didn't look the same, talk the same, act the same, have the same motivation, or live in the same millenium as the Yondu I know.

Neither of those things made me do any less than love that movie.
    Do you guys remember when going to the movies was about having fun?
    The director (James Gunn?) does. And it shows.
    Watch this movie. Enjoy it. Love it.

~ Le Messor
    ... still freaking out over that post-credits scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Hey, Tawmis!
    HEY! How dare you post this thread?
    ... before I did.
    Sorry! Entirely too amped!

Is this movie as awesome as the trailers would have you believe?
    In a word: yes.
    It was awesome! I loved it! I want to tell everyone I know!
    Yes! YES! YES!

Sorry Tawmis, I did have a couple of nits with it.
    It was too dark. I'm using dark here in the literal sense... I don't dare attempt a metaphor. Almost throughout, it was physically underlit.
    Xandar was bright, but it was the only part that was.
    Well I thought that was normal - as most of it happens in space, or in a ship (with ominous darkness all about!)

Speaking of Xandar:
    The Nova Corps; there was something off about their portrayal. I'm hesitant to say what on a spoiler-free thread, but they could be disappointing to Nova fans.
    Well, yes, they have their version of the Nova Corps. But the previews pretty much show, this is not the Nova Corps we know from the comics.

Yondu.
    Their Yondu sucked. He was more than the cameo I'd been led to believe, a lot more; but he was nothing like the Yondu in the comics. Okay, he was a blue man, and controlled an arrow through whistling; but he didn't look the same, talk the same, act the same, have the same motivation, or live in the same millenium as the Yondu I know.
    Yes, Yondu is quite different that the Guardians of the Galaxy 3000. Like _way_ different. But this was minor to me (and this coming from someone who enjoyed and even collected the original Guardians of the Galaxy series from the 90's! And loved their appearances in Avengers way prior to that!) I always accept that things are going to be changed in a movie - sometimes, it's minor. Sometimes it's drastic. They did change Yondu, considerably, but I was all right with it. (It could have been another character entirely, but I get it - they wanted to tie it with the Guardians of the Galaxy for fans! I was more disappointed that he had a "mohawk" rather than a fin, more than I was with his portrayal!)

Do you guys remember when going to the movies was about having fun?
    The director (James Gunn?) does. And it shows.
    Watch this movie. Enjoy it. Love it.
    For reals.

I am even seeing it again, tonight!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Sorry! Entirely too amped!
    Ah heard that!

Well I thought that was normal - as most of it happens in space, or in a ship (with ominous darkness all about!)
    I'm just sick of movie makers making the screen darker - or the page; comic books do it, too.
    None of the excuses (or 'reasons') make me like it.
    Put it this way: Star Wars was set in space. So was Star Trek.

They did change Yondu, considerably, but I was all right with it. (It could have been another character entirely, but I get it - they wanted to tie it with the Guardians of the Galaxy for fans! I was more disappointed that he had a "mohawk" rather than a fin, more than I was with his portrayal!)
    I've read the original original originals, from before even those Avengers appearances (which I also have!), so that was disappointing to me. And I was including the "mohawk" not fin! And there was no reason to say 'this is Yondu'. So, yeah.

All that said, none of it made me dislike the movie. It just mars its perfection for me.

I still love it, I'm still amped about it. And remember - I'm a fan of the original Guardians. I couldn't care less about this group in comics - but I LOVED this movie!

~ Le Messor
    "I made a metaphor."
    ~ Drax

Hi, been lurking again for a long time. Don't really post that often but I do comment on the AF Facebook on occasion.

Going to see GotG tomorrow myself, but reading the comments about Yondu, it makes me wonder...surely in the entire history of his race, our favorite red-finned, blue-skinned Guardian can't be the only person named Yondu. Kinda like saying there can only be one John or Bill or Tom or Dick or Harry. Perhaps, just perhaps, the one from the future, the one we're familiar with, was named after the one appearing in the present-day movie? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Hi, been lurking again for a long time. Don't really post that often but I do comment on the AF Facebook on occasion.

Going to see GotG tomorrow myself, but reading the comments about Yondu, it makes me wonder...surely in the entire history of his race, our favorite red-finned, blue-skinned Guardian can't be the only person named Yondu. Kinda like saying there can only be one John or Bill or Tom or Dick or Harry. Perhaps, just perhaps, the one from the future, the one we're familiar with, was named after the one appearing in the present-day movie? Just a thought.
    Which is something someone else said on a thread - that the name "Yondu" could be their race's version of "John" - since this Yondu is in current times (since it's on par on the same time line as the Avengers movie) - and the Yondu of the original Guardians of the Galaxy comic was from the year 3,000 or something along those lines.

Images

since this Yondu is in current times (since it's on par on the same time line as the Avengers movie)
    Not to mention, it opens in 1988 (according to the chyron; that's no spoiler.)

Pex, that's what I'm going with. Actually, I'm not even sure they're the same race (given the fin problem). And, in the future, Yondu's race was primitive (this Yondu doesn't come across as somebody who came from a primitive culture).

The question is - how unique is that arrow?

~ Le Messor
    "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."
    ~ Solomon

Not to mention, it opens in 1988 (according to the chyron; that's no spoiler.)
    Pex, that's what I'm going with. Actually, I'm not even sure they're the same race (given the fin problem). And, in the future, Yondu's race was primitive (this Yondu doesn't come across as somebody who came from a primitive culture).
    The question is - how unique is that arrow?
    Well the change of primitive and not isn't too big of a deal, if you're doing space opera.
    I mean we have seen things like Pyro was a class member of the X-Men (in the movies), and younger, and also not Australian.
    Rogue's streak in her hair was because of something she endured while hanging onto the Statue of Liberty thanks to Magneto.
    The list goes on and on, with the differences that Marvel has made to things!

As for the arrow - that seems pretty unique. I do like that they kept that part. Imagine if Yondu is not even a name - but a title, that means "Hunter" or something. Would fit with the original Yondu and the movie version (Bounty) Hunter. Oh, the fun we could have if we just went down the Speculation Path!

Images

I mean we have seen things like Pyro was a class member of the X-Men (in the movies), and younger, and also not Australian.
    English, iirc. He just flipped back and forth in the comics because there are people who can't tell the difference.

As for the arrow - that seems pretty unique. I do like that they kept that part. Imagine if Yondu is not even a name - but a title, that means "Hunter" or something. Would fit with the original Yondu and the movie version (Bounty) Hunter. Oh, the fun we could have if we just went down the Speculation Path!
    That works for me, too.

English, iirc. He just flipped back and forth in the comics because there are people who can't tell the difference.
    Pretty sure Pyro (in comics) is supposed to be Australian?
    "Put some shrimp on the barbie!" type.

Images

I'm open to correction. I can't rightly remember which he was in his first appearance (even assuming I've read it), but he's definitely flip-flopped in comics between Australian and English. (He's not the only one who's done that, either.)

~ LM
    "It's getting so hard to tell if you're yank, oz, or pom."
    ~ Roger Taylor, Dear Mr Murdoch
    Last edited by Le Messor; 08-01-2014 at 11:34 PM.

I'm open to correction. I can't rightly remember which he was in his first appearance (even assuming I've read it), but he's definitely flip-flopped in comics between Australian and English. (He's not the only one who's done that, either.)
    I think he's flopped in terms of writers incorrectly writing his accent and not know the difference between Australian slang and English (British) slang...

But, pretty sure he's always had his "Place of Birth" in the Marvel Universe Handbook as Australia.

http://marvel.com/universe/Pyro

Citizenship
    Australia (legally deceased)

Images

I think he's flopped in terms of writers incorrectly writing his accent and not know the difference between Australian slang and English (British) slang...
    Yeah, that's what I meant.
    Though I do think some of them might've said he was English. (Not disagreeing with the handbook - I'm saying writers got him wrong.)

He was retconned to be a British citizen by birth but raised in Australia, or the like.

Images

Sounds about right.

I've just had another friend (who didn't know I'd seen it) highly recommend GotG.