Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Why would a big-name author risk his (or her) reputation writing an on-going series that is most likely going to be cancelled or rebooted within a year?
    Out of love for the book/team/title, hence my original "'superstar' writer/artist team wanting the book"

Is there any proof or evidence that a big-name author is guaranteed to bring in a successful number of books sold, whether that is 100,000 or 200,000 or higher?
    There's never guarantees, ever. And all I said was "more" than bit-parts in Captain Marvel; I never said a success.

But looking at how Snyder turned Batman back into a best seller, Bendis disassembling the Avengers, anything Neil Gaiman does, Jim Lee draws etc - power in Comics today is leaning towards the creator;people are starting to follow creators from book to book rather than characters.

If Byrne came back to any Big Two book now, the numbers would probably be high, even if just for the first issue.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Exactly.

Not sure which part you’re referring to, but also not sure how it makes your original submission point.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Maybe because you are reading too much into things that aren't there? MARVEL owns a lot of stuff; I know they own ALPHA FLIGHT. That's not really what I was talking about. If I can get the MARVEL IDEA SUBMISSION FORM, you can get it. It may even be more current than 2005.

I was going to say that Phil seems to know a lot about what is successful and profitable and popular in the comic book industry. You didn't give me a chance to.
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 07-11-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Alfan
    Mik would consider coloring the issue...if he hasn't already assembled his own creative team.
    Thanks. That's probably my weakest link with art, though, (though I'm obviously highly opinionated!) and I'm not sure I could keep up with the colourists of today.

~ Le Messor
    "The trouble with having a fertile mind is that the weeds grow as prolific as the pastures."
    ~ P.K. Shaw

Maybe because you are reading too much into things that aren't there?
    I was directly responding/replying to statements you had made/questions you had asked, so I can't see that.

If I can get the MARVEL IDEA SUBMISSION FORM, you can get it. It may even be more current than 2005.
    If you're talking about the Epic Comics imprint one, they don't still use those, and don't accept submissions now.

I was going to say that Phil seems to know a lot about what is successful and profitable and popular in the comic book industry. You didn't give me a chance to.
    Again, slightly confused as you led the discussion, but I appreciate the compliment.

If I have misinterpreted anything you've said then I apologise.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

"I was directly responding/replying to statements you had made/questions you had asked, so I can't see that." I still don't know if you work for MARVEL or not (the simplest question I believe was asked).

I didn't get the MARVEL IDEA SUBMISSION FORM from EPIC. As you say, comics is a business, not entertainment. If you really want it, you will make it your business to find it. If MARVEL isn't using it any more, they should tell you. If they have a more current version than 2005, they should tell you.

Loading replies with so many points/arguments has made clarity and understanding nearly impossible.

Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 07-11-2023 at 09:26 PM.

I still don't know if you work for MARVEL or not (the simplest question I believe was asked).
    I'm pretty sure my answer on the page before was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I do not, and haven't claimed to.
    Apologies if this wasn't clear or simple enough.

If you really want it, you will make it your business to find it.
    Personally, I disagree with that. To me that's like saying If I really want something I'll steal it. Marvel do not produce Submission forms any more. Ergo, finding an old one is fraudulant.

If MARVEL isn't using it any more, they should tell you.
    And they have:

Anyway, I feel like this has gone off the rails completely.

I genuinely apologise because that's not my intention; I genuinely enjoy the work you've been putting into this and have liked reading your pages,and would love to see more and the final product.

I just don't want you to go to a lot of trouble submitting unrealistically.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Busy. Please try again later.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Isn't ALPHA FLIGHT a space station now with a bunch of space cadets?

Setting aside the baseless assertion about fraud (which, BTW, is done in a rather public forum), the more important question is: with so many comic books that actually exist, why are you at all concerned about one that doesn't? As you have stated (2 times, now) that you do not work for MARVEL, if I were to submit something---solicited or unsolicited, it would go to MARVEL. You would not know about it because you do not work for MARVEL. As you have warned (in red letters, too) that MARVEL doesn't accept unsolicited submissions, if I were to send in something anyway and MARVEL tossed it in the round file/shredded it/gave it to LOCKJAW for potty-training, you would not see because you do not work for MARVEL (and in the "LOCKJAW outcome", you probably wouldn't want to see it). And, if by some bizarro off-chance MARVEL gets a submission and says "Let's do this", it would take months before an actual comic book could be produced.

Only one person is derailing this thread, and it isn't me.

Images

Again, Garry, I don't think Phil is concerned, just trying to manage expectations.
    (Though I do think 'fraudulent' may not have been the best choice of words.)

He's not telling you not to submit, just warning you it might not go anywhere.

If I worked for Marvel I would green-light your submission idea and I think it would work. Nice job on focusing the content on what fans want! It's out of the box and hopefully the comic book industry can have the courage to try something unconventional.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Does MARVEL have any plans to commemorate ALPHA FLIGHT's 40th anniversary?

Thanks, but I wonder if MARVEL has any plans to commemorate the 40th anniversary of ALPHA FLIGHT's 1st appearance?

What if some of the biggest-name superstars---past and present---were interested in contributing?

That would something.

Images

That would be great!