Thread: Skottie Young covers

Default Skottie Young covers

I like to look at covers. I am not a big fan of variants these days because it is getting out of control. But anyway, I been seeing a lot of Skottie young variant covers popping up and because he did one for Red Wolf (Which I liked and now searching for.) So I looked him up and show he did a cover for AF 3rd series Issue #8. What did you think of that cover and did you like his take on Sasquatch? Also I am going to start reading the, I hate Fairyland, that he writes and draws for. Could be interesting. and the way he talked, sounds like he is going to be spending most of his time on that book from this point on.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Skottie Young is an amazing "cartoonist" - because his art looks like cartoons to me.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Skottie Young is an amazing "cartoonist" - because his art looks like cartoons to me.
    Sure; that's the point of it. I think it's cute and like it for one-offs and covers; I wouldn't want to read a mainstream superhero title by him.
    Which would totally have happened in the 90s - a Grim, Serious series with extremely dark colours and his art.

I don't remember his Sas off the top of my head, though. And I am heartily sick of every title and its dog* having variant covers.

Gah! Every time I go to write 'cover' I write 'colour' instead and have to backtrack!

* Actually, I've been assuming Neal Adams' Action Lab cover is a variant, but I'm not so sure.

~ Le Messor
    "He had just enough intelligence to open his mouth when he wanted to eat, but certainly no more."
    ~ P.G. Wodehouse, Barmy in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Sure; that's the point of it. I think it's cute and like it for one-offs and covers; I wouldn't want to read a mainstream superhero title by him.
    Say... like New Warriors?.... -sigh-

Images

I honestly don't remember Skottie Young doing the New Warriors.

He drew the third volume, with the reality TV stars.
    He didn't write it too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    He didn't write it too though.
    Correct. It was written by Zeb Wells.

His art is great for cartoons. I don't favor it in comics, however.

(And well, the story...)

I looked at the S.Y. New Warriors covers. They look more like covers you would Sat morning cartoon VHS set box for Bugs Bunny or something. Not saying they are bad but its probably good he sticks with doing interior for his own project, I hate fairyland. Though I remember DC adding cartoon characters to their covers not to long ago.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Of course! I do remember that being annoyingly cartoonish. As was the style at the time.

~ Le Messor
    "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you - he really is an idiot."
    ~ Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    I looked at the S.Y. New Warriors covers. They look more like covers you would Sat morning cartoon VHS set box for Bugs Bunny or something.
    Given the theme of the series I'm guessing that was the point.

Not saying they are bad but its probably good he sticks with doing interior for his own project, I hate fairyland.
    NW was fairly early on in his career though. He's improved a lot since then.
    Check out the first few arcs of last year's Rocket Racoon series which he wrote & drew, just before I Hate Fairyland.
    (He also wrote & drew a Northstar story for X-Men: Divided We Stand #1 in 2008, which is half way between the two styles.)
    Last edited by Le Messor; 05-10-2016 at 04:46 AM.