Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Liefeld and Alpha Flight

Default Rob Liefeld and Alpha Flight

I believe this was brought up some time ago here, but over at CBR they did an article about X-Force's 25th anniversary and it's very heavy AF related. Check it out...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...litia-turns-25

I total forgot about that!

It happens to the best of us.

It's all good though!

Well, first I had read of it - so - it did some good. Interesting to know.

I imagine, had he relaunched Alpha Flight - would it have met with the same success as say X-Force did?

It would be nice if they did a "WHAT IF?" Cable had joined Alpha Flight!

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike View Post
    It would be nice if they did a "WHAT IF?" Cable had joined Alpha Flight!
    I'd buy that. I think it's pretty cool that Rob is a fan of Alpha Flight. Always cool to hear when someone (whether you respect him or not) is a fan of Alpha Flight.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I imagine, had he relaunched Alpha Flight - would it have met with the same success as say X-Force did?
    Commercially?
    Wouldn't be surprised.

Artistically?
    I shutter to think.*

* quoting one of the comments on the linked article.

~ Le Messor
    "I do not love him because he is good, but because he is my child."
    ~ Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Commercially?
    Wouldn't be surprised.

Artistically?
    I shutter to think.*

* quoting one of the comments on the linked article.

~ Le Messor
    "I do not love him because he is good, but because he is my child."
    ~ Tagore
    For all the crap Rob gets; Youngblood #1 was the highest selling indie comic; and then X-Force #1 was the highest selling (or one of?) main stream comics.

Images

That is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    For all the crap Rob gets; Youngblood #1 was the highest selling indie comic; and then X-Force #1 was the highest selling (or one of?) main stream comics.
    Until X-Men #1, yup.
    I like his artwork for the most part; it's dynamic and energetic.
    It's not perfect, but Rob knows his flaws and doesn't claim to be anything other than he is.

So according to the interview here: http://www.cbr.com/281997-2/

“Alpha Flight,” I asked? This was new info…

“Well, before I was committed to New Mutants, I was looking for a vehicle that I could have more plot input on and it turns out that they were looking for a new team on ‘Alpha Flight.’ I was a huge fan and sent in a two year proposal that pre-dates my start on ‘New Mutants’ by about seven months. Cable was introduced as a soldier from Wolverine’s past, who would have worked with the existing Alpha Flight roster. Danny Fingeroth was eager to get me on the series, but when it wasn’t going to be re-launched I opted for ‘New Mutants’ and was able to do a dramatic housecleaning with editorial’s blessing.

So what was the state of Alpha Flight in May '89? How were Sales? Who were the Team Members, and how where the characters going down with fans?

If Liefield had come onto AF, and got his relaunch would Cable have ended up as Leader? Taking AF into a darker, grittier direction?

So I tweeted Rob Liefeld to ask what had been in his planning documents for Alpha Flight id he had gotten the book and he replied: "It was full of Cable, Kane, Deadpool and Domino.. all the same stuff"

So what do you think might have happened to Canada's Superhero Team under Rob in the 90's onwards?

Images

Just last night, my parents asked me a trivia question they'd been given: 'What decade was Deadpool introduced in?'.

I imagine it'd be a series about a pro-active team going after criminals before they commit crimes, and they all carried around big guns (Cable, Kane, Domino, and Deadpool do). Not sure what to say beyond that.

~ Le Messor
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight."
    ~ Japanese proverb

I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed a Rob Liefeld version of Alpha Flight.
    I remember his run on New Mutants and, quite honestly, I enjoyed it in the beginning but actually tired of it after awhile.
    Plus, I believe he would have dumped too many of the "real" Alpha Flight characters to make room for his own creations.
    The Flight Forever !