Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvel sucking in the comic department.

Default Marvel sucking in the comic department.

You are witnessing the death of a dream...

I haven't bought a comic in years. Always been a Marvel person in the late 1970's - they just don't make a good product as they used to.
    You are witnessing the death of a dream...

I'm interested in DC's Rebirth, but yeah overall marvel has been very lackluster. Don't agree with them constantly replacing their main heroes and not just make good new characters. It's so forced

Hmm, I disagree.
    Rebirth has been completely unreadable to me; so convoluted and requires too much information of multiple universes and reboots.

Marvel has made great massive strides to get new comics readers and they've done amazingly.
    These comics may not be for me, but it's so heartwarming to see a new generation of child readers, almost 50/50 split genderwise.

The figures in the article are only for Diamond Comic store sales; they don't count Digital sales, Bookstore sales or worldwide sales.

Yeah, Marvel took a beating that month , but with all DC's #1's that was always going to happen. I'm sure they're still ahead for the year, not that it really matters.

Oh yes DC isn't much better I'm just interested in seeing the watchmen in the greater dcu

I think if they hadn't done Before Watchman I'd have been interested, but now I just really can't be bothered with the characters, personally.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I think it's really hard to judge on a top 10.
    There are still a few decent comics - I'm loving Squirrel Girl and liking the current Nova. I don't like them replacing all of their main characters at once - yeah, it's forced.

Right now, though, I'd rather read most of Marvel than any of DC. Of course, there are also indies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think if they hadn't done Before Watchman I'd have been interested, but now I just really can't be bothered with the characters, personally.
    Wow, it's interesting to see how publicity stunts backfire like that.

~ Le Messor
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
    ~ The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

if your talking on a creative standpoint i have to disagree. I love the directions most of the ongoing marvel series i subscribe to (deadpool, daredevil, both caps, antman, black panther,) are going creatively atm (hydra steve notwithstanding) and civil war ive liked the majority of but then again maybe im just a black sheep of the comic reading public
    Last edited by Yankee; 09-22-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: grammar
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Images

First, Phil, I take your point: most of that was Marvel.

Second, that makes me sad. Most of those titles do not appeal to me in the slightest; I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness, crying out for the kinds of comics I like, realising that the problem is me after all.

Most of that list makes me think 'Oh, no, people are really reading this?!? In those kinds of numbers?!?' - not everything, but quite a lot of it.

I've read a total of two of those comics - Civil War #2, in trade, and Star Wars #1.

I read Civil War on the tail end of feeling the need to read 'major storylines' - and now I don't.

Star Wars is the only one that really appealed to me, and that turned out to be... okay. Not great, but okay - and I started asking myself very quickly 'if there've been Star Wars comics almost as long as I've been collecting, why have I just now started buying them?'.
    I dropped the series like a hot rock polka the second Vader Down was announced (crossovers? Once you start down that path, forever will they dominate your destiny).

P.S. Kudos to Newsarama for using the word 'penultimate' correctly!

~ Le Messor
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He wouldn't trust me so much."
    ~ Mother Teresa
    Last edited by Le Messor; 09-26-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Oh, I totally agree that 'biggest selling' does not equate 'best quality' in the slightest.
    Just balancing out that they're not 'sucking'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Oh, I totally agree that 'biggest selling' does not equate 'best quality' in the slightest.
    ... Yeah, but apparently 90% of the comics-buying public disagrees with us. ),:

Well then I think good to be broke now...I have not bought comics it months - am counting the 5 dollar packs at wal - mart.

civil war 2 is one of the highest selling issues? Wow. That issue was terrible

star wars I'm not surprised about. Best books marvel is putting out.

I stopped buying comics on a monthly basis. Every time I went to the store to get the few comics I bought, they were never there. Either they hadn't come out, or if they had, they were gone. So I gave up.

BUT! That forced me to buy the "volumes" (paperback?) when they come out, and made me discover the AMAZING world of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye! OMG!!! Best comic I've ever ever ever read! I want James Roberts to come and write Alpha Flight now!