Thread: We Stand On Guard Miniseries r

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Default We Stand On Guard Miniseries r

First of all I just wanted to say long time no see fellow Alpha Wavers. been almost a year I think if not more since the last time I was on this site. part of this was me entering crunch mode regarding studying for my composition exam (which is this Thursday), part of it was due to plain old forgetfulness, and Part of it was I was burnt out on alpha after that long alpha game thread. But anyhoo I'm back and it feels great to be back.

With that out of the way, I wanted to ask, has anyone hear read the 2015 six issue miniseries by Brian K. Vaughn and Steve Skroce for Image comics called We Stand on Guard? Barebones description is its essentially Red Dawn in Canada, with the wolverines replaced by Canadian resistance group the two four (it's a reference to alcohol) and the Russian and Cuban invaders replaced by the United States. I'm a huge fan of the original 1984 Red Dawn, and so when I saw the trade paperback cover as I walked into my local comic store, I was like I have to buy this. Especially since back in 2010-2011 I gave a half hearted attempted of writing a screenplay with the same basic concept as We Stand on Guard, so I was curious if they hit many of the themes I had planned on using. Overall it was good, but it had some glaring problems, one in particular which wound up souring the rest of the book for me.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Yes! I have that series, which was fairly hard to find even here in NYC. I got the issues in floppies. I really liked it from the very first page. What was the sour part?
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

The part where in order to extract Intel from the captured resistance member, they install into their vr torture device a program in which, if she still refuses to talk, her dead father will forcibly rape her. I just thought that moment was a. An unnecessary women in refrigerators moment b. made the character of the American completely irredeemable (not saying she should have been a sympathetic character but that moment turned her into a caricature of a villain) and c. I nearly threw up reading that scene. I have no problem with the Americans being the bad guys, but even in the original red dawn there was a sympathetic character on the invading side (the Latin American colonel). Every American character in the book minus a half hearted protest from the vr torture programmer is shown to be just vile to the core, which especially in a book that touts how it grasps the modern pulse of social commentary (and to be fair in many cases the book succeeds) have very very very two dimensional bad guys severely undercuts that message. Also as much as I loathe the character of superman, I felt they unnessecairly shat on Jerry Seigel, saying he did none of the real work in creating the character. P
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd