Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Disney in talks to aquire Fox's entertainment division.

There’s no guarantee they will merge them.
    They could keep them as completely separate universes.
    Or just not even use the characters.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

What Phil says is true, at least of the X-Men characters.
    But I think they would bring in X-people; they've already had to compromise on Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch. Corporate might not bother, but the creatives would probably care about, say, having The Beast in The Avengers.

However, I think Avengers 4 will be too soon for the merger; they won't have had the rights fully worked out by the time of release.

Honestly, I find myself not caring too much about mutants in the MCU.

I do expect an MCU Fantastic Four movie, though. And that I care about.

~ Le Messor
    "Success is not forever and failure is not fatal."
    ~ Don Shula

You don't care about MCU Mutants, Le Messor? Even if it might potentially lead to at least an Alpha Flight appearance, somewhere down the line?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    Even if it might potentially lead to at least an Alpha Flight appearance, somewhere down the line?
    Oh, now that I care about! I'd love an MCU Alpha Flight movie.
    When I said 'mutants', perhaps I should have said 'X-Titles'. Or 'The X-Men'.

I'm not against the idea of them showing up in the MCU, but I'm not shivering in anticipation, either.

Though I'd love to see S.H.I.E.L.D. get an ESPer division.

~ Le Messor
    "Oh to be free as a bird - but keep one eye out for eagles."
    ~ J.D. Boatwood

To be honest, based on Infinity War I'd say the MCU is already too crowded as it is; I wouldn't want mutants in it.

The FF at a stretch (boom-boom) could work, but then you end up adding Namor, Silver Surfer etc etc and where does it end?

I like the separate Universes, with potential for a dimensional crossover at best.

And I'm still not sure I want to see AF on screen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    The FF at a stretch (boom-boom) could work, but then you end up adding Namor, Silver Surfer etc etc and where does it end?
    I see what you did there!

Actually, Namor is the one major character who's rights are still up in the air. By reputation, they're with Universal, so it could be hard to bring him in.
    Then again, so are the Hulk's, so they could probably cut a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    And I'm still not sure I want to see AF on screen.
    Oddly, that's understandable.

~ Le Messor
    "Those who hate you don't win unless you hate them - and then you destroy yourself."
    ~ Nixon

Images

'There shouldn't be two Marvels'. Unless they mean Captain Marvel and Shazam!, I agree.

It'll be cool if they're integrated well, and at this stage I trust Marvel muchly. It's the Fantastic Four I'm really hoping for, though.

~ Le Messor
    "The wise man built his house upon the rock."
    ~ Jesus
    "We built this city on rock and roll."
    ~ Starship

Disney/Fox Merger Could Actually Be Completed As Soon As The End Of 2018.

While some insiders have indicated a deal close is possible by the end of 2018, the official forecast is for early 2019.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/disney-fox-merger-could-actually-be-completed-as-soon-as-the-end-of-2018-a163905

https://deadline.com/2018/10/new-fox-promotes-five-executives-ahead-of-disney-deal-close-1202474706/

Images

That could be interesting; we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Fox will be logistically ready for its pending mega-deal with the Walt Disney Co. to close Jan. 1, 2019.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/disney-fox-deal-will-be-ready-to-close-jan-1-says-peter-rice-exclusive-1202976061/

E.U. approves Disney / Fox deal.

European authorities have approved Disney’s purchase of 21st Century Fox assets, with conditions attached. The European Commission said that Disney had agreed to offload it’s A&E channels in Europe to alleviate concerns that the Fox deal would eliminate competition in the realm of factual channels.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/eu...ns-1203020918/

Kevin Feige was on Variety’s Playback podcast, and revealed that they’ll be able to start within the next six months.

https://mcucosmic.com/2018/12/27/marvel-studios-may-begin-development-on-fox-characters-within-six-months/

Two points I can make:
    - When Fox and Sony had the rights to characters from Marvel, they had restrictions about how they could use them (like stories, powers, costumes, characters); some things they had no rights to use [I learned that from a guy on youtube who's a lawyer for intellectual property, he spelled out the problems with various rights holders very well] so they were restricted in ways most people don't know about. It's why Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were experiments in the MCU, not mutants, but also why Spider-Man with Sony had trouble with characters, X-Men with Fox, Fantastic 4; people assume that if you have the rights, you can do what you want but that isn't close to true at all. Sometimes when you have all the rights, you screw up because you want to do something new and wind up creating nothing worth watching. Main reason why Disney has killed at least 4 Star Wars projects, they gave people freedom to do what they wanted, and saw a huge drop in profits so now they're being more careful
    - If I did AF as a movie I'd keep it mutant-free too. Keep it small. Sort of doing it like this: Heather Hudson recruits ex-SHIELD agent Judd as head of security for Department H, which doesn't exist due to SHIELD [wink wink] (which is also a big reason why no mutants are with H; he agrees to help, goes through a magic portal and is in secretive H, which has Langkowski given incredible freedom as long as he has resources, Twoyoungmen as resource and physician, and Nemesis as a dead person in a suit with a sword they are afraid to deal with. Heather has the suit but refuses to use it after what happened to Mac. Joshua Lord (Master) is the antagonist, attacks them when he finds out they exist, Langkowski gets chemical and gamma ray infected, becomes Sasquatch, Puck surprisingly fights off most of the attack, Shaman uses his pouch to get them out of there. And so on.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.