Two points I can make:
- When Fox and Sony had the rights to characters from Marvel, they had restrictions about how they could use them (like stories, powers, costumes, characters); some things they had no rights to use [I learned that from a guy on youtube who's a lawyer for intellectual property, he spelled out the problems with various rights holders very well] so they were restricted in ways most people don't know about. It's why Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were experiments in the MCU, not mutants, but also why Spider-Man with Sony had trouble with characters, X-Men with Fox, Fantastic 4; people assume that if you have the rights, you can do what you want but that isn't close to true at all. Sometimes when you have all the rights, you screw up because you want to do something new and wind up creating nothing worth watching. Main reason why Disney has killed at least 4 Star Wars projects, they gave people freedom to do what they wanted, and saw a huge drop in profits so now they're being more careful
- If I did AF as a movie I'd keep it mutant-free too. Keep it small. Sort of doing it like this: Heather Hudson recruits ex-SHIELD agent Judd as head of security for Department H, which doesn't exist due to SHIELD [wink wink] (which is also a big reason why no mutants are with H; he agrees to help, goes through a magic portal and is in secretive H, which has Langkowski given incredible freedom as long as he has resources, Twoyoungmen as resource and physician, and Nemesis as a dead person in a suit with a sword they are afraid to deal with. Heather has the suit but refuses to use it after what happened to Mac. Joshua Lord (Master) is the antagonist, attacks them when he finds out they exist, Langkowski gets chemical and gamma ray infected, becomes Sasquatch, Puck surprisingly fights off most of the attack, Shaman uses his pouch to get them out of there. And so on.