Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Byrne on Alpha, Beta & Gamma

I think we're starting to edge into a new era where Fans, especially younger fans, are looking for new, younger, characters to find attachments to; definitely compared to when Vol's 2 & 3 launched.
    It's just a case of hitting on that rare Ms Marvel or Snowguard as opposed to say Flex or Radius.

I'll always want the mostly Byrne characters, but I shouldn't be comics' primary audience anymore.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by caliber
    They were discussing on the most recent Flight Stuff Pod (which is great BTW) an interview JB did just before Alpha Flight #1 came out where he envisioned them as a Mission: Impossible type team.
    I've read that somewhere. Marvel Age?Alpha Flight #1?

Yet, if the more-known/major characters had a hard time finding/keeping an audience, why would lesser-known/minor characters do what the originals haven't?
    Stranger Things has happened.
    It's a great show, btw, I highly recommend it to people who love 80s horror.

… but I digress.
    The right team with the right writer / artist could be made to work, even if they're obscure. Publicity is the first key.

I'd prefer going back to something more like the original 1984 version myself, but I like the idea Caliber has outlined above. I think it really works.

Alpha Flight tried to do this with their various re-boots, but I don't feel like many of the characters really caught on
    For me, v2-Omega Flight really weren't Alpha Flight. v2 wasn't even an enjoyable comic, v3 was but in a stupid way, and I liked Omega. So, those characters never caught on with me.
    Your idea, Caliber, of new characters teamed with old ones is a great way to balance off the needs of the originals against the needs of the new, and it echoes one of the original ideas I loved about v1; that it wasn't the whole team every issue.

~ Le Messor
    "However rare true love is, true friendship is rarer."
    ~ La Rouchefoucauld

Images

(Wow, Phil and I just posted simultaneously. I don't know why mine doubled, though.)

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

That makes sense to me; having some of those "newbies" include a lot of Mantlo-era characters does not. I have always liked the "Mission Impossible" approach, so a mixture of old and new is something I'd really like to see. As Le Messor asked in another thread, it will depend on the creative team (AND the editorial commitment, because it was sorely lacking during the Mantlo era).
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Images

Oh, yeah… editorial commitment. You're not wrong.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

On Facebook, there is a notification posting of James Hudnall's passing. Sad news.

I mentioned it at http://alphaflight.net/showthread.ph...ll-Passes-Away about 11 hours ago but it got lost in all the Byrne talk.

Sad news indeed.

Images

What happened?

Images

... Never mind. I found the article you posted, and we have no information.

1. In regards to "new" characters teaming up with old characters... A lot of times that'd work, but let's face it. For as few issues (all things considered) that Alpha Flight has been in - just take volume one alone - Alpha Flight members have been put through the wringer and do come with an excessive amount of baggage. All of them do. There's not one single character that I feel like doesn't come with excessive baggage. All characters should go through things to "change and grow" - but I feel like Alpha Flight characters were put into a grinder. That's why I liked the latest one (after their "resurrection") in the Fear storyline or whichever it was. It felt like a very clean slate.

2. As for James, I know he struggled with diabetes. It's why one of his legs was amputated. So I suspect (have no info), that it may be related to (complications of) diabetes.