Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byrne on Alpha, Beta & Gamma

Wow. He really was winging it and making it up on the fly

thats pretty impressive

I'd love to register there and pick his brain, but the requirements are a little onerous.

That said, this is pretty impressive. I suspect Byrne is the kind of writer who likes challenges like that - "hey, create a whole backstory for these generic twins you drew in Beta Flight" and then boom: Flashback.
    "Fools! Fools! Your puny weapons are useless against me!"

I would ask him what would he had done with some of the characters Bill Mantlo had introduced (Kara Killgrave AKA Purple Girl, Laura Dean AKA Pathway, and Dr. Whitman Knapp AKA Manikin) if he was still writing the book at the time?

I'm guessing his answer would be that he wouldn't touch them at all.

You really don't know that, maybe yes he would do something with them and then again maybe not.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

What would you do with the Mantle characters?

I'm perfectly fine on how they turn out, I just wished gotten more of them.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

What reason/motivation would you say Laura Dean, Goblyn, and Whitman Knapp have for protecting Canada?

A lot of times, writers don't "keep up" on their books that they wrote, once they left. Fabian always talks about that.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I think Byrne has said he also didn't keep up with Alpha.

I'd ask what his original plans for Nemesis were.

Is anybody here on his forum? Maybe we could 'port these questions across?

~ Le Messor
    "We know what we are, but know not what we may be."
    ~ Shakespeare

You really don't know that, maybe yes he would do something with them and then again maybe not.
    True, but I’ve read enough Byrne interviews, posts and comments over the years to know that if Stan, Jack or he didn’t create them he doesn’t want to know. Plus he’s not complementary about ANYTHING that happened to Alpha after he left.

They were discussing on the most recent Flight Stuff Pod (which is great BTW) an interview JB did just before Alpha Flight #1 came out where he envisioned them as a Mission Impossible type team. Basically, they'd have a large pool of characters to draw from and for each mission they'd assemble a specialized crew. Not only is this a great idea (especially given how geographically separated most Alphans are), but it would be a perfect way to use some of these B-level guys. Alpha would have to have a sort-of HQ team which helps manage and co-ordinate things. Pathway would be essential in getting Alphans to and from locations, Manikin could be the team doctor and Madison Jeffries could be the tech guy. A great way to pair new or lesser known characters with established Alphans to see who works. Alpha can't just keep going to the well with the 1983 roster over and over.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Yet, if the more-known/major characters had a hard time finding/keeping an audience, why would lesser-known/minor characters do what the originals haven't?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Garry - If Alpha Flight got another shot at a series, I think they'd need to mix in some new blood. The small but established Alpha fanbase would want the originals back and they would be the characters a casual fan might be familiar with, so they'd have to be in there, but as you say they've failed to keep a mainstream audience. New or b-level characters also gives the A-listers something new to react with, which might make them more appealing. Mixing in some new characters in an ensemble way means writers can throw a few things at the wall and see what sticks, as well. Send Puck, Northstar and the Manitoba Mangler on a mission and if people don't care about the Mangler, he fades into the background. Send Shaman, Sasquatch and Dr. Flin Flon out and people love the Doc, then we can see more of her.

Alpha Flight tried to do this with their various re-boots, but I don't feel like many of the characters really caught on (I'm not clamoring for more Manbot comics haha). I just think that maybe instead of introducing 5-6 new characters in issue #1 and splitting time thereafter, have one or two new guys rolled out each issue so that we get to flesh them out a bit and see if there's something there. That's the advantage of JB's Mission Impossible idea.