Thread: Alpha Flight: True North #1 (in September)

Default Alpha Flight: True North #1 (in September)

Coming out! Woot.
    http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/2255
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphaflighttn_cov.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	6205  

The fix the "Snow-bird" in the actual solicit.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

That's good, it bugged me when I saw it. >

Images

Also, great!

Has anyone else read this yet?Spoilers, obviously, for those who haven’t.....I was truly impressed. It was nice to see Alpha Flight being Alpha Flight, and not some Captain Marvel adjunct, or something. Glad they resisted the urge to tie the one shot to Carol for the movie popularity.I was pleasantly surprised how much the book used Alpha’s sometimes complex continuity to tell its stories. The first story dealt with Snowbird and Talisman encountering the spirit of Snowbird’s mortal father in the Far North. Nice call back all the way to the Byrne run. I like Elizabeth’s updated costume and portrayal of her powers. Also like that she and Snowbird appear to have a close friendship. They were never close in the old series, but they have a lot in common, and it makes sense if they’ve become good friends in the intervening years. Being such a short story, there was only so much they could convey regarding Nayra’s confrontation with her mortal father, but it was surprisingly effective and emotional. It was especially nice to see her reminded that part of being a demigod means that she is half human, since the emphasis has always been on her “godly” half.The second story was my least favorite, though still decently told. Puck relates a story to Marrina from his long history in which he (and a couple friends) encountered a Plodex monster. I found the framing sequences set in the present to be more interesting than the story itself. Another nice Alpha friendship in Marrina/Puck. Loved the voice/personality here for Marrina. Nice balance between the sweet/demure original and the over-the-top attitude Marrina from the miniseries. Like Snowbird getting in touch with her human side, it was nice to see Marrina affirm that her Plodex heritage doesn’t define the kind of person she chooses to be.The final story deals with Heather, Mac and their daughter Claire. Very disturbing ending on this one. It reminded me of the second Alpha Flight series. Conspiracies and the dark side of Department H and all that. I have to admit I’m not sure like the sides of Claire as a character. Kids in comic books and soap operas are always problematic. The fact that she’s apparently at least 7 or 8 has serious implications about the ages of the rest of the cast. And I’m not sure how I feel about Heather. Part of me wants to see her

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs in my previous post. I tried to fix it but was unable

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Will you finish the review in a new post?

Images

I've only just recently managed to read this.

It was pretty good; it seemed to be all about tying up a bunch of loose ends. And yet, they added another storyline between Heather and Mac.

I was impressed that Marrina could say that being a Plodex didn't define her - I keep seeing the worldview pushed that your genetics / family / whatever absolutely define a person and you are the sum of your ancestry. It was a relief to see the opposite in a modern comic.

Welcome aboard braalian (NB: none of us can edit our posts. It's not just you.)

~ Le Messor
    "Musicians don't retire; they stop when there's no more music in them."
    ~ Louis Armstrong

Thanks,

i didn’t even realize I didn’t finish my review. All I was going to say was that I want to see Heather absolved for her crimes in The miniseries, but I’m not sure if this story was implying that Heather isn’t responsible due to some sort of mind control, or if that is just wishful thinking on Mac’s part

Images

Well, the mini-series was all about mind control so I think we can all hope it's the first one.

(And it wasn't just her, either.)

~ Le Messor
    "He has the right to criticise, who has the heart to help."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Well, the mini-series was all about mind control so I think we can all hope it's the first one.

(And it wasn't just her, either.)

~ Le Messor
    "He has the right to criticise, who has the heart to help."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln
    Doesn't Heather's body still have 3 toes? I wonder if that will disappear like Mac being part Machine did.

Images

That will depend on the writer and their ability to research.