Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
On another note: Chris Claremont always (I thought) over did it on Nightcrawler’s mutations, he has like umpteen powers: teleportation, ability to hide/fade into darkness/shadows, his physical mutations (prehensile tail, wall-crawling, fangs, ability to see in darkness, does he have enhanced hearing too (I can’t recall?), superhuman agility and leaping ability, enhanced strength, speed and reflexes, as well as enhanced spinal development and finger and toe dexterity...etc, etc...). Kurt was a creation of Dave Cockrum, but when it came to adding him to the X-Men, Chris Claremont apparently fell a bit in love with the character and went hog wild in making him a powerhouse. I can’t imagine they’d even address the concept of Kurt having a “secondary mutation”...it’s laughable.Dana
Well, the whole - pointed ears, dark blue skin, yellow eyes, fangs, tail, three fingers/toes, I think was all to basically make him "look like a demon" while in truth, he was a devout Christian (I believe was his faith of choice). The wall crawling, I think fits him - and he doesn't to my memory have any form of enhanced hearing. Super human agility and such didn't really come in until after he joined the X-Men. And let's face it, all of the X-Men have it from their time in the Danger Room. How often have we seen Beast or Angel do some crazy agility things? As for the fading in the darkness, that didn't come up until he was on Cassidy Keep or whatever. (Otherwise, it seems wise to have used it in his first appearance, when he was being chased at night, through a town with plenty of shadows). But the last thing I would have considered Nightcrawler, back then - was "powerful." His teleportation was originally ONLY himself. Eventually he got to teleporting one person - but it often took everything out of him and the person he teleported (I can clearly remember he knocked a few people out doing so). His teleportation was also limited to line of sight originally for a very long time. Like he couldn't teleport to the other side of a door blindly - without the fear of teleporting into something.
Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
Nightcrawler: the fading to darkness thing is sometimes just a part of his dark colouring; but it has also been clearly shown as a kind of invisibility.
It was definitely a new power he got during his time when they were dealing with Black Tom, and on Banshee's castle island the first or second time.