Thread: Black Mariah

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Black Mariah

I've just read Luke Cage, Hero For Hire (1972) #5 for the first time. It's got a character in it named Black Mariah*, and I'm wondering if she was the inspiration for Pink Pearl; there are a lot of visual similarities. Same weight, same clothing style, same buck teeth with a gap.

* I searched for the word 'Mariah' on this site before posting and only came up with discussion of Peter David's Fallen Angel. That's a completely different Black Mariah.

I feel like there's a few that are similar in that regard. Wasn't there a Big Bertha in Great Lake Avengers?Granted she had actual powers, but appearance was kind of the same.I could swear I read somewhere that Pink Pearl had a specific reference... but for the life of me, I can't figure out where I saw that or if it was all my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I feel like there's a few that are similar in that regard. Wasn't there a Big Bertha in Great Lake Avengers?Granted she had actual powers, but appearance was kind of the same.I could swear I read somewhere that Pink Pearl had a specific reference... but for the life of me, I can't figure out where I saw that or if it was all my imagination.
    Pink Pearl is based on an eraser (that's where her name comes from, not kidding)...LOL.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Pink Pearl is based on an eraser (that's where her name comes from, not kidding)...LOL.
    That's great! I've never heard that!

Yep, they've been around forever. Those big pink erasers...it's the name brand, I believe (or just the name they gave the eraser?).

Dana

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-...l-erasers-pink
    Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 02-04-2024 at 11:09 AM.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!