Thread: Fixing issues

Default Fixing issues

Hey all, this thread will be for me to inform you all as to the status of repairs to the site. My first goal was to to repair the script errors that have been a plague for some time. The source of the errors was when our web server upgraded to more recent versions of PHP. This resulted in website software getting confused on a few fronts. I had a few options to take care of this.

1. Upgrade our software from version 4.2.2 to 4.2.5 - Any time software upgrades are done, there is a certain amount of troubleshooting required.

2. Major upgrade to 5.7.2. This is a brand new version of the software, which would have to be purchased. There would be some notable downtime involved as I would essentially have to rebuild things, and many of the custom mods installed would no longer function at all. There is also a newer version that needs PHP8 which is not yet available server side, so another upgrade would be required in the not too distant future.

3. Roll back to use an older version of PHP on the server that is compatible with our current website software. This option was only recently made available on the server, where previously we were given no choice but to use the most recent version of PHP.

For now I opted with option #3. As soon as I saw that I could now do this, I was thrilled. Super easy fix for a problem that has been vexing me for some time, short of a full overhaul. Things are looking and acting way better already! Please post any issues you encounter on this thread. I know the gallery is still ugly, but the script errors are now gone, and I can look into why the gallery isn't properly skinning. A good first step though. Eventually I would like to overhaul to version 5 software, but the timing is not good with the announcement of the new series, given the downtime that would be required. I'd also prefer to wait for the server to catch up on PHP versions before doing this upgrade, as I would rather do it all at once.

Thanks for your patience!

Ben

For me, two biggest issues are:

General Formatting - as you've obviously noticed the line break isn't working so code needs inserting

Article Formatting - the toolbar for adding images, preview breaks, links etc. in new articles has gone completely, so any images need to just be inserted via existing url's at the end of the post, in full size

testing
    line
    break

testing

Double

line

Break

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    For me, two biggest issues are:

General Formatting - as you've obviously noticed the line break isn't working so code needs inserting

Article Formatting - the toolbar for adding images, preview breaks, links etc. in new articles has gone completely, so any images need to just be inserted via existing url's at the end of the post, in full size

Looks to be good on the line break now... onto the next one

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Glad you 're back, Ben.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

As previously mentioned, uploading attachments, inline images not working. Also there used to be a more advanced option for posts; that seems to be gone now.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I'm thinking that minor version upgrade may resolve both issues. I had to dial back the complexity of regular posting to resolve the line break issue. That is separate from the editing option on article posting, but looks like down deep they may be connected. Next step is most likely an update to software on basic levels, and from there we'll see.

Ben

When I click the website I get this error message “ Something isn't quite right here ...
    This site is temporarily unavailable. If you're the owner of this website,
    please contact FatCow Web Hosting”. When I click it again it lets me on the site. So have to double click the link for the webpage to open properly. Not sure if I’m the only one

I see the edit button is fixed. This is all great news. Thanks Ben for the updates
    Last edited by -K-M-; 04-18-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    When I click the website I get this error message
    I used to get that error message, but I don't now. (Using a bookmark.)

Thanks, Ben!

So glad to see the wheels back on this baby!

When this site seemed to have gone down - I made this back in Feb -
    https://alphaflight.forumotion.com/

Because I love me some Alpha Flight, but life being life, time slipped away - and I wasn't sure who to hit up to draw people there.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Yes, it's been fixed for a while.